Beware of Falling Asleep!

Submitted into Contest #42 in response to: Write a story that ends by circling back to the beginning.... view prompt

0 comments

General


I find myself in a deserted area where everything is dead, no sign of vegetation is seen. It is like a piece of nothing in the suburbs. Maybe I shouldn’t get out of my house, but I think if I've stayed, I would be dead by now.


It all started when at three o clock the sky darkened. I thought it was an eclipse, although I didn’t hear anything about it. When it was 3:15 PM, the darkness wasn’t proper of that of an eclipse: it was like the sun turned off or the sky was covered by a giant black cover.


I turned the tv on to watch the headlines, though nobody was talking about it. I took my phone and checked my social media, fruitless. I couldn’t be the only person seeing the total blackness sinking the whole city. What surprised me the most was that the media was silent as if only I could see it. But I was impossible, there must be people like me, confused and scared.


At four o clock, everything still the same. I decided to go out even if I was too scared of whatever was happening. However, staying at home, enclosed without knowing was causing me unbearable anxiety. The incertitude was worse. “I will only take a glance”- I thought. But when I reached the door, I heard steps in a distance, coming closer and closer. I gave out the idea of going outside and instead watched through the window, carefully. Dozens of people were marching in silence in the dark street. There wasn’t any flashlight to guide their steps. Their walk was twisted, erratic like they suffered from a disability. It was terrifying.


All of a sudden, they stopped in the middle of the street, with their heads bent down. They were static for minutes that to me resembled hours. I did not understand why they were acting so strange. Even so, I did want to find out. Something sinister was going on without any doubt. I kept looking askance, trying not to raise undesirable attention. I don’t think they could see me, but it happened despite the darkness. Everyone in the street changed positions, with their heads still bent down, but their feet in direction to my house.


A cold sweat ran through my back, my heart pounded so fast I felt as if it was going out from my mouth. I took a step back from the window. I doubt they saw me because all my lights were turned off.

I kept asking myself who could they be. Why they were in a sort of trance and worse, just a few meters from my house?

A couple of minutes later I heard the people screaming and running, scattering everywhere. Someone warned of an orange flash that could be seen in the distance coming closer was dangerous. They said to avoid looking. I dared to get close the window again; they were all gone, except for one person standing still in the same position.

I could see the flashes of orange light, intermittent. Once again, I opened my social media, but everything seemed to be normal. I sent a message to a coworker in the hope she was alright. Two minutes later she replied: “Here, just chilling.” I asked her about the darkness covering the city, but she answered as if everything was normal and I was crazy. Now the fear was consuming me and the possibility of going insane crossed my mind though I tried hard to fight that idea. I knew I was in danger and I had to get out of my house ASAP.


The mysterious man that was standing in front of my house after everyone ran away, was still there in the same position, but now he raised his head and his eyes were fixed on my house. He knew I was inside. For a brief moment, I thought somebody wanted to hurt me, but I don’t have friends nor enemies. I always try to maintain a low profile.

Maybe I was overthinking. But I couldn’t be delirious after seeing all those people, the orange light, the darkness and the guy in front of my home. It wasn’t a protest, because there were no cops. I resigned to find out by myself what was happening, even though I was terrified. The guy was still there. I checked my watch; two hours had passed. At this time the sun was about to set, but there was no trace of sun.

A strepitous sound, like bombs being detonated in different points of the city, paralyzed me. I looked through the window, maybe the man ran away scared by the sounds, but he was there. I couldn’t believe it.

The orange light flashes were coming closer. It wasn’t coming from an object; it was like a lightning blinking so fast it hurt my eyes. A piercing scream made me shiver. What I saw when I looked through the window left me speechless. The man was lying on the ground. He looked like a giant black stain.


When the flickering of light stopped, I decided to get out of the house. Not knowing the consequences, but I was sure doing so was better than staying inside, dying of fear. I took my backpack and put some things to eat and two bottles of water, a flashlight, and a knife. I took a deep breath and opened the door.

Took a few steps to find the man. Around him was a big bloodstain. The guy was dead. Without thinking I ran as fast as I could to get away from that horrific scene. I was overwhelmed and started to cry. My body couldn't hold anymore the panic. I did not stop running until I could find a source of light. But the darkness was too deep, it was too hard to look forward, my eyes couldn’t distinguish what was ahead.

I had to stop to catch my breath. I saw a weak white light at a distance. There was no one near, my phone had no reception, I couldn’t call anyone. I decided to walk to the light. Then I noticed I never saw this part of the city before. I couldn’t have run so far. As I got closer to the white light, I saw the place was different. Thinking about finding somebody, anyone to help me understand what was going on, I kept walking. However, I felt insecure about every step I took. Everything was out of place. This wasn’t the city I was used to walking in every day. By the weak light, the streets looked antique, as if part of another age. I saw the façade of old abandoned buildings, but it gave me the impression I was being watched. I got out of there.


As I walk the darkness is less dense and I can have a better look. I see a white sign with orange letters written on it saying: beware of falling asleep! Maybe I shouldn't wake up, but if I had stayed asleep, I think I would be dead by now.


May 15, 2020 23:29

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.