8 comments

Contemporary Inspirational Sad

It was so terribly cold. Snow was falling, and it was almost dark as she stood on the cobblestone streets at the Christmas market. The town was nestled in the heart of the mountains, and snow during the Christmas season was common and expected. The wind tore through large conifers sifting the snow as it fell. The streets were lit with lights, and the colors were bright and splendid.

Sweet and spicy aromas wafted through the air as vendors sold delicious meats, candies, and hot mulled wine. Her stomach growled from bitter pains that threatened to overtake her. She had nothing to cover her matted hair, and her ears were red and burning from the cold. 

The large cloak her mother used to wear was held closed by her shaking small hands. It was ten sizes too big and too long for her. She stepped on it often, causing it to become dirty and torn. The thin cloak was swiftly ripped from her body and floated along the cold wind. She began chasing after it but stopped when a large gust deposited it on top of a tall building.

On the little girl went with her fingers and toes frozen like popsicles. She stood on the street corner, shivering from exposure to the cold. In her old and faded apron dress, she carried five street newspapers. Nearby stores sold Christmas ornaments, handcrafted toys, and beautiful paintings of faraway lands she could only dream of.

A jovial young couple walked by, not noticing her at first, but the man saw the girl from the corner of his eye. He reached into the deep pockets of his heavy wool coat and pulled out a coin with his gloved hands. He handed the coin to the girl and smiled as she gave him a newspaper. 

Her heart leaped, and it warmed the cockles of her heart. Suddenly she felt a bit warmer than before. She had hope. Straight away, the aroma of kielbasa caught her attention, and she wept on the inside. She had not eaten a meal in days. 

Her knees began to knock, her teeth chattered, and snowflakes fell on her long golden hair. Another couple passed by, the man gave her a coin, and she returned the paper with as much of a smile as she could muster.

She quickly sold the last three newspapers, much to her delight. After she sold her final paper, she crouched down on the corner, trying to conserve as much heat as possible. Her legs were drawn close to her chest, and her arms were crossed in front of her with her hands under her armpits, but she grew colder. 

Going home was not an option. She decided she would use the money to run away. She was tired of her father beating her when she didn’t sell any papers. As she tried to get warm, two boys ambushed her. She wrestled with the boys, and they took the coins she earned from selling the papers. She finally got free and ran as if her life depended on it.

As her little legs became heavy and her chest began to burn from exerting energy she didn’t have, she slowed in front of a bridge. She looked back, but the boys were no longer chasing her. There was no one around. She was alone in the freezing cold listening to the howling of the wind. 

Her little face, ears, and hands were nearly frozen from exposure to the cold for too long. She tried rubbing her hands together, but it didn’t help. The pain stung as her discolored fingers no longer held feeling at all. She tried to sit, but her legs wouldn’t bend and do as she commanded. She had lost her shoes in the tussle and was now barefoot on the frozen ground. 

She could barely see the grand home that stood in the distance, but she knew she would never make it there. Immobile, she resumed herself to her fate. She dredged up the last bit of body heat she could as she wrapped her arms around her little body and stayed as still as possible. She no longer felt pain. Her eyes started to close and give in to the dark depths.

She imagined she could hear the sound of horse hooves, and the sound was getting closer. They weren’t going fast but rather a slow, leisurely trot as they approached her near the bridge. She heard men and women talking and laughing in a carriage that passed her. She stood there unnoticed. Another sound of horse hooves came, and then it stopped. She heard a carriage door open and footsteps coming toward her.

She knew whoever it was would likely shoo her away from their property. Then she heard someone mumbling incoherently to her, she couldn’t open her eyes, and her cold body was too immobile to focus any energy on hearing what was being said. She stayed arms wrapped around herself like a frozen statue. Soon, strong arms lifted her up. She was too weak to fight. She knew she would be thrown into the cold snow. 

Instead, she was lifted into the carriage, and blankets were placed around her as she sat cuddled on someone’s lap. She could vaguely hear voices but couldn’t determine what was being said.

Several minutes later, the carriage stopped, and she was lifted up again and taken somewhere that smelled nice, she thought. She slowly began a painful thawing out. She was placed on a settee, covered in blankets near the fireplace. Eventually, she could hear again. She listened to a man and woman talking. Her sight was restored, and she glanced up to see them. She sneezed, and they stopped talking as they rushed to her side. 

The woman wore magnificent colors and apparel. “Schatz, she’s on the brink of death. Can we call a doctor for her?” 

“Good idea.” The man dressed as equally resplendent said

Two maids were standing nearby, “welcome home, your majesties.”

The man and woman, who she assumed were royalty, nodded to the maids dressed in similar uniforms.

“Gertrude, call the doctor. It’s an emergency.” The maid rushed off at the king’s command.

“Hello,” the man said to the little girl.

Her voice was raspy when she tried to say “hello.”

“My name is Wilhelm. My wife, Kathrin, and I will take care of you. Do you remember what happened? What’s your name?”

She looked up at him with a curious expression. He had a kind face and kind eyes. He didn’t remind her of her father at all. His wife was beautiful, and she smiled, which put the little girl at ease. She didn’t know them but felt safer than in her home.

“I’m Anna,” she was finally able to say. She was able to move her fingers and toes a bit. 

King Wilhelm looked aptly, patiently awaiting her next words.

“I was being chased, and it was cold, and I couldn’t go any further. I’m so sorry.” She began to sob.

The king coddled her in his chest as she sobbed. 

“Don’t worry about that, let’s get you clean. I’m sure you’re hungry. Would you like a warm bath?”

She wasn’t sure what to say. She hadn’t taken a bath in a week, but the cold helped with any smells there might be. She nodded her head, and the king ordered the remaining maid to take Anna to get bathed.

She bathed in the hottest water she had ever felt. The water was very warm but not hot enough to burn. The tub was beautiful, and she felt wonderful. The maid washed her long golden hair and braided it into two long braids on either side of her head. Her clothes were replaced with a lovely sleeping gown and slippers.

She dressed, and the maid returned her to the settee near the fireplace before returning to clean the tub. The king and queen invited her for a meal, and while she tried to compose herself, she hadn’t eaten in days. 

She gobbled up the potato soup and bread. 

The physician arrived after she finished her meal. She didn’t have a fever, but the king mentioned she was in the beginning stages of frostbite when they found her. The physician recommended rest for a few days, and he accepted the generous payment from the king and left.

The following day, it was Christmas morning! Anna slept well in a plush bed with sheets. No drafty wind or creaking boards. She was warm and comforted. She snuggled in the sheets a little longer and remembered yesterday's events.

Her eyes popped open, and she looked around at the splendid room she slept in. She could only imagine a place like this in her dreams. Maybe she was still dreaming. A knock sounded on the door, and a maid entered. She helped Anna to get dressed for breakfast.

The day passed quickly, and soon it was time for Christmas dinner. Sitting at the table with the king and queen, her mouth watered at what she saw. On top of delicate dishes and a wooden table covered by a beautiful tablecloth sat a roast goose stuffed with apples and prunes, plump bread dumplings, braised red cabbage, baked apples, and apple cake for dessert.

The king and queen were kind. They desperately wanted children of their own but were unable to have any. 

After a few days of rest, Anna was able to return home. She didn’t want to return home. She wanted love, peace, and joy. Due to what Anna told them about her transient living situation, finding the child’s father, her only living relative, was impossible. They fell in love with her in the short time they spent with her. She was a gift. They decided to adopt her. 

The king and queen told Anna, and her heart burned brightly with the thought of having such a loving home and family. Her heart and belly were full, and she hoped to never sell street newspapers again. This was the best gift she could have ever expected to get on Christmas.

Soon she became princess Anna, and they all lived happily ever after.

March 17, 2023 03:31

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

8 comments

Stevie Burges
09:46 Mar 17, 2023

Ahhh! a real fairy story. How lovely. The descriptions of the cold and near frostbite situation came over really well. The lovely warm bath and slippers was just delightful. Well done MJ beautifully capture and written.

Reply

MJ Simons
23:55 Mar 17, 2023

Thank you, Stevie! Since I chose the prompt based on Hans Christian Andersen's The Little Match Girl, I decided to put my own spin on it. It's a remake of his story with some similarities. His story is somber, but I wanted to give this story a happy ending. I'm glad it came across as intended. :)

Reply

J. D. Lair
06:19 Mar 18, 2023

I read the original story after reading your rendition and I have to say, I prefer how yours turned out. :) it reminds me of Annie in a way, and that story always warmed my heart. Well done!

Reply

MJ Simons
08:12 Mar 18, 2023

Thank you for reading my story and for your feedback. I felt so sad for the little match girl and wanted to give her a better life. :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Jeannette Miller
16:50 Mar 18, 2023

Really well done MJ. I like the progression of the story, setting the tone with the little girl's cloak and her freezing while selling newspapers. How desperate and resigned as she stands on the bridge before being rescued. I thought she might wake up realizing it was a dream or maybe she was dead or something dreaming of the king and queen's kindness. It worked well and has the fairy tale ending. One thing, the paragraph toward the end about "after a few days of rest..." is a little clunky. Might I suggest a bit of a change in POV? "After ...

Reply

MJ Simons
01:25 Mar 20, 2023

Hi Jeannette, thank you for reading my story and for your feedback. I like your idea about changing the POV in that paragraph. It makes a lot of sense. I will make sure to keep it in mind for future work. I'm glad you enjoyed the story. I enjoyed using the freedom of creativity to remaster this story. I'm so happy it came across as intended. Thank you again.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
21:26 Mar 22, 2023

This was a fun read! I enjoyed the setting you created, and how you imbued the story with the feeling of Christmas. The descriptions used unique words without coming across as showy or unnatural (I'm resolving to use the word 'coniferous' more in my writing). I'm glad that it had a happy ending, too. If I had to suggest something, I'd go through and find some verbs that could take the places of 'was' or 'were'. It might make your story pop off the page a touch more. Also, instead of saying Anna resumed herself to her fate, it should actuall...

Reply

MJ Simons
23:53 Mar 23, 2023

Hi Organizer.Spaztastic C, thank you for reading my story and the great feedback. I'm glad you enjoyed the happy ending, which contrasts with the original story's conclusion. Thank you for the suggestions regarding 'was' or 'were.' As you mentioned, I'll use those less and use different verbs going forward. Also, you are correct about the usage of 'resigned' instead of 'resumed'. Thank you for pointing that out!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.