0 comments

Black Fiction Contemporary

Disrupted Plans by Naima Qianna

     Jessica folded the last shirt of her laundry and placed it in her drawer. She had a small bucket list of things to do over the weekend: 

  1. wash clothes, 
  2. put clothes away 
  3. clean the bathrooms 
  4. straighten out the kitchen cabinets 
  5. clean her bedroom 

     Tiffany, her daughter, was at her father’s for the weekend so, the house was quiet. All Jessica wanted to do was to spend the rest of her day alone in her loungewear.

     After completing her list, Jessica didn’t feel like leaving the house even though it was a nice summer day. She’d rather stay in and read a book. It was something she hadn’t done in a while. She owed herself some alone time after running around all week doing favors for her next-door neighbor and taking her daughter to soccer practice.

     It was time for her to kick up her feet and relax, but then there was a knock at her door.

     “Go away,” she said under her breath as she got up from her comfortable spot on the couch. She opened the door. No one was there. She stepped out on her porch and looked up and down the street. She didn’t see anyone, then she looked down and saw a potted plant with a note attached.

     Jessica

     Thank you very much for all that you do. Here’s a little something to green up your day!

                                                                                                     Danielle

     “Oh, how sweet of her,” she said as she took the plant inside.

     “No more interruptions, please,” Jessica said as she laid back on her couch.

     She picked up the book and opened it. As she began reading, her phone rang. She grabbed her phone from the coffee table in front of her.

     “Hey, Rebecca, what’s up?” she said.

     “What are you doing right now?” Rebecca asked.

     Jessica sat up on the couch, “I’m reading; why?”

     “Do you want to go to the movies? It’s a special showing of your favorite movie.”

     “Sounds great, but not today. I’m really just trying to stay in and relax. I had such a busy week.”

     “Are you sure? I’ll pay for your ticket.”

     “It’s not about the ticket. I just want to be alone this weekend. I’ll hook up with you next weekend, I promise.”

     “Okay, girl. I’ll talk to you later. Enjoy the rest of your day and weekend.”

     “Thanks, I will, bye.”

     Jessica put her phone back on the coffee table. All she wanted to do was relax and be alone, and she thought she would get to do that except for the interruptions.

     The minute she opened the book to where she left off, her phone chimed, another interruption.

     “This better be an emergency,” she said as she looked at her phone.

    Chris  

     I need you to email that list of companies ASAP!

     Jessica

     Why the urgency? We’re off until Tuesday! Chill, take a break! 

     Chris

     I need to give the list to Marcus by 5 today. He changed his mind about the date for the event.

     Chris

     Please, just do it for me. 

     Jessica

     Okay. I’ll send it right now. Check your email.

     Chris

     Thanks. I owe you big.

     Jessica

     You sure do! 

     Jessica grabbed her work laptop, logged on, emailed Chris the information he requested, closed the computer, and moved it out of sight. She didn’t want to think one more second about work. She needed to clear her mind. Realizing she hadn’t eaten anything all day, Jessica got off the couch, went into the kitchen, and fixed an almond butter and strawberry jam sandwich and a cup of green tea with a twist of lemon and ginger.

     An hour later, loud banging interrupted Jessica’s nap. She jumped off the couch to investigate the noise, knocking the book off her stomach and onto the floor. The banging got louder as she moved closer to her front door. She opened the door. To her surprise, her mother Harriet, her sister Nettie and her aunt Janice were standing on the other side of her door.

     “Surprise!” Aunt Janice said as she walked past Jessica.

     “What are y’all doing here?” Jessica asked.

     “We were in the neighborhood and decided to drop by,” Nettie said.

     “You could’ve called first,” Jessica said as she walked back into the living room.

     “Where’s the fun in that?” Harriet said.

     “I just wanted to be alone this weekend,” Jessica said.

     “Well, too bad. We’re here, so get over it,” Aunt Janice said as she plopped next to Jessica.

     “Tiffany’s over her dad’s for the weekend, and I’ve been running around doing stuff for my next-door neighbors all week and taking Tiffany to soccer practice, so I’m exhausted.”

     “We understand, dear, but we don’t get to see you often since you got the new job,” Harriet said as she rubbed her daughter’s back. 

     “I know, Mama, I know,” Jessica said as she laid her head on her mother’s shoulders.

     “So, what’s the plan? Are we going to go and do that thing or not?” Nettie asked as she walked over to her family in the living room. She was the last to enter the house after going back to the car for something.

     Harriet and Janice looked at each other. 

     “What thing are y’all doing?” Jessica asked.

     Nettie sat on the other sofa opposite her family.

     “We are going to the MGM for ladies’ night out. We thought you’d want to come along,” Aunt Janice said. 

     Jessica looked at her aunt sideways. “Really, Aunt Janice, ladies’ night at the MGM, hmm?”

     “Yeah, do you have a problem with that? There’s going to be a lot of good prizes, 25 dollars vouchers, free drinks, and food,” Nettie said as she danced in her seat.

     “I am supposed to be alone in my quiet house, no interruptions, but here y’all are interrupting,” Jessica said as she got up from her spot.

     “Where are you going? Miss thing,” Harriet asked her oldest daughter.

     “I’m about to get dressed since it doesn’t look like I can’t say no to y’all,” she said as she walked up the stairs.

      Harriet, Janice, and Nettie all broke out in laughter.

     Fifteen minutes later, Jessica came downstairs in dark blue jeans, a red shirt, and black and red sandals. She pulled her braids in a top-notch bun. She pulled herself together, considering the short amount of time she had to prepare.

      “Before we go, here’s something for you to wear,” Nettie said as she handed Jessica a customized black jacket emblazoned with her sorority emblems. 

     “It’s beautiful, sis; thank you so much,” she said as she put it on. “I love it. You’re the best.

     “Okay, let’s go before all the free food is gone,” Harriet said.

     They left the house and headed to ladies’ night. 

July 30, 2021 01:29

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.