My Granddaughter's Essay

Submitted into Contest #120 in response to: Start your story with the line ‘Back in my day…’... view prompt

0 comments

Historical Fiction

The door bell rings, Nana rushes to the door to see who it is. There she is, the beautiful granddaughter that is going to college. Nana was so surprised to see her, she opens the door. “Hey sweet girl what brings you out this way?” As she brushes back her long beautiful blonde hair she says,”Nana, I am doing a history essay and I thought I would do it on the changes you have seen in your lifetime.” “Oh my, their have been a lot of changes for the worst I am afraid of.”

“Dezarae sit down and I will get us some coffee. How would you like yours?” “3 sugars and 2 creams.” Nana went over to the counter and made the coffee and guided Dezarae to the living room to sit down. “Ok are you ready to start?” The young beautiful girl got out her pad and pencil and started taking notes. She listened to her grandmother so intensely.

“When I was a little girl, we always played outside. We watched little tv and video games had not been invented. We walked to school everyday with about 6 to 10 kids. I would leave school around 3 and come home and get a snack. I would then watch 1 tv show and then off to the outdoors I went. We were always playing kickball, baseball or some kind of sport. When the sun started going down we would catch lightening bugs and put in a jar. I let them go in my closet one time. That was a hoot except they stunk. Our parents did not worry about us being outside back then. There was no crime in the suburbs. When it was time to come in the house, I heard my mom yell for me and you better believe I came.”

“That is awesome Nana. What else did y’all do?” “Well, one time we took plywood and board and built a tree house on the side of a bank. It was so funny, cause I thought that bank was so high. Later on as an adult I went there and saw that it was rather small. But anyway all the neighborhood children got on it and down we went. All of us rolling down that bank. Another thing we would do is play in the creek which was below the bank. We would catch tadpoles. Also our parents would give us 50 cents and we could go get a drink, and a whole bag of candy at the store that was not a short distance. It was about a mile away and so was the school. We used to ride bicycles everywhere. We would ride long distances to school friends’ houses. We were the ages between 6 and 12. I cannot imagine parents doing that right now. In today’s society kids get taken and worst. We would have day camps in the Summer and that was so much fun. There would be tons of kids. We would do arts and crafts and outdoor activities. ”

“Oh Nana that sounds great!! We hardly ever talk to each other unless it is on an electronic device. Tell me more.”Well, I started dating way too young. I cannot imagine anyone in your generation dating at 14. But I did. I would hang out with a girl that had her driver’s license and she was dating your dad’s dad. Well we ended up together and we used to go everywhere together.There was the drive-in where we watched movies outside while in the car. It had big speakers that you put in your car window. This was the making out place anyway. It would cost 5.00 per carload.” Hee hee came from Dezarae’s mouth. “I know towns are having movies outside now but it is nothing like what we had. We only had 1 indoor theater and it was only 1 dollar. There was a midnight movie where they would play crazy movies. Then they would have bands. Lynard Skynard and Alabama played there before they got big. We would have what they called the Battle of the Bands which was at the fairgrounds. We hung out at the bowling alley and we would sneak out there and go to a friend’s house then. That was fun. We would eat at Martin’s or McDonald’s. There were not many places to go to eat back then. Most people ate at home. It was a privilege to eat out back then. Maybe once a week. Now it is the opposite. Most people eat out and they do not eat at the table anymore.”

“Then after I had married David, he was in the Navy. We both were so young. I did not have anyone to give me advice. He would come home and go play basketball. So I felt really alone. I had met a couple of women I would talk to but I got really homesick. I went back home and probably shouldn’t have cause then the real trouble started. We were from the 70’s and 80’s you know. When I got home, all my friends were drinking and doing heavy drugs. We were able to get into bars because of our ages. Drinking age was 17, then 18 and then finally 21. I made the requirement every time. I am afraid I was growing up in the drug revolution. The sex revolution started in the 60’s but it was still not acceptable during my time for sex before marriage and especially getting pregnant.”

“When I had come home and got a job at Burger King I purchased a car. We could ride around town for 2.00. It was great. We would ride from Krystal to Hawthorne Plaza to Leland Plaza. Everyone who went to Pebblebrook did this. This girl I had met at Burger King is how I started going to bars. She was 27. There was a band there that I loved. I got my other friends going.”

“So can I get you some more coffee Dezarae?” “No Nana I am going to have to head on out. This was very interesting and I am sure you have plenty more stories.” “Well okay and I am so glad you thought of me. I miss you so much and wish you would keep in touch.” “I will Nana.” Out the door she went. She drove off in her mustang and I knew I probably wouldn’t see her for a long time. But I have lots of memories. Memories that have lasted a lifetime.

November 20, 2021 00:10

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.