13 comments

Coming of Age

By the time I stepped outside, the leaves were on fire.

“What in the hell are you doing?”

My brother jumped, turning to me, his smile wiped clean off his face after seeing the anger and shock on mine.

“I––I was just––”

“Get inside. Now.”

I hurried to grab the hose from the side of the house, my fingers shaking as I fiddled with the nob to turn on the water. At the corner of my eye, I saw my brother run behind me, narrowly escaping the fire that was beginning to build in our backyard. 

Finally, I heard the water running. I yanked the hose forward and sprinted to the pile of burning leaves in the middle of the yard. The flames stretched toward the sky, composed of tendrils of orange and red and black that ate up the lawn inch by inch. It began to spread further and further, hungry for anything it could reach.

I pointed the hose and sprayed like hell.

Water spurted and gushed from the spout, drowning the fire. I sprayed and sprayed until the lawn was soaked with mud and grass; the fire disappeared in smoke. I turned off the hose, panting, staring at the watery, dirty mess in the yard. It looked like a pool of mud rather than a neatly manicured lawn.

“That little…” I threw the hose on the ground and stomped toward the house, hands clenched into fists, fuming. I yanked open the back door and shoved my way inside.

Nico!”

I ran through the house until I saw him there, in the living room, perched on the couch, knee bouncing nervously. His head was in his hands.

“Nico!” I yelled. “Why would you do that? What were you thinking?”

His head snapped up, his big brown eyes wide and full of guilt. “I’m sorry––”

“You could have burned the house down! Or, worse––you could have been killed!” I paused. “You know what, after a stunt like that, switch that order. Would have been much worse if the house burned down.”

His eyes flashed angrily. “Would you just stop––"

“And, not to mention, Mom and Dad would have killed you if they found out––”

Shut up!” Nico exploded off the couch, vaulting to his feet, hands curled into small fists at his side. His eyes blazed. “Shut up, shut up! Stop talking about Mom and Dad!”

I stepped backward in surprise. A memory of the burning leaves eating their way across the lawn flashed across my mind, and my resolve returned.

“No,” I snarled. “You know, I am sick and tired of looking after you every two seconds; if you’d just listen, and not go off––”

“You wouldn’t have to look after me if it wasn’t for them!” He shouted, angrily pointing to a picture on the wall. 

I followed his gesture to discover the family picture of the four of us. It was from last fall, at our annual Bonfire Gathering. We sat at the base of a clump of trees just beginning to change color for the season, near a large fire pit off to the side. Mom and Dad stood behind me and Nico. They smiled. So did we.

It felt like a lifetime ago.

I turned back to Nico. I cleared my throat, voice softening––slightly, anyways. “Don’t blame them, Nico.”

“Don’t blame them? Don’t blame them?” His voice only grew louder. “Why are you defending them? You wouldn’t have to spend all day here if it wasn’t for them!”

“That’s not what I…” I took a deep breath, trying to slow my heart. “Nico, all I’m asking is that you don’t set fires in the backyard. Mom and Dad might not be… here, but this house is. We need to keep it safe.”

“Who cares about this stupid house,” he snarled. He fell back on the couch, crossing his arms. “It’s not like either one of them is going to keep it after the divorce.”

“We don’t know that yet,” I said quietly. I sat on the opposite couch, facing him.

“And you know why we don’t know?” He asked, sniffling. “Because Mom and Dad aren’t here to tell us. They’re never here. They’re always off fighting somewhere.”

“I know,” I said, sighing. “I know it doesn’t really make sense right now. But it doesn’t help anyone to be mad at them. They’re getting a divorce and there’s nothing we can do about it.”

“That you know of.”

"What? Care to repeat that?”

Nico glanced at me, and then looked away. “I had a plan. It was going to be great, until it got… out of control.”

I struggled to keep calm and not scold him again. “What do you mean, ‘out of control’?”

He just sat there, avoiding my gaze.

“Nico, please talk to me.”

“Why? All you ever do is yell at me lately. I don’t get it.”

I sighed. This time, I was the one to look away. “Well. Ben dumped me. Not that it’s an excuse; it’s not. I’m sorry that I’ve been so angry lately. It’s just… with the divorce… with Ben…” I feel my eyes water and blink furiously to keep the tears at bay. “It’s just been hard.”

“Oh.”

“Yeah. But, I’m sorry. I promise I won’t yell at you anymore. Well, I’ll try not to.” I turned back to him, trying for a smile.

He returned it warmly, grinning. “Fine. Then I’ll try not to listen to you.”

“Fair enough.” I cleared my throat. “So… what were you doing, then? Outside? If you weren’t trying to set the world on fire?”

He rolled his eyes. “I was trying to… well…” he hesitated, looking away from me again. “I was trying to recreate the Bonfire Gathering. You know. With the fire, and the s’mores, and the games. I’d just gotten to the fire part. And it, well, it didn’t––it didn’t––”

“Go well?” I offered sarcastically.

Nico shot me a look, but his shoulders slumped. “Yeah. It didn’t.”

We were silent for a moment.

“Nico,” I start quietly, “I don’t think that would have brought Mom and Dad back together. I think it was a wonderful idea. But I don’t think they’re getting back together again. You have to understand that.”

He stared at the ground for a moment. Then, he nodded slowly. “I know,” he said quietly, the words full of mourning. After a second, he peered up at me, offering a small, kind smile. "I'm really sorry about Ben, Natalie. That sucks."

"It's okay."

"You sure?"

"Yeah. I'm sure."

We sat there in silence again.

“I have an idea,” Nico said suddenly.

“That’s not good.”

“Shut up.”

“Fine, fine. What is this grand idea of yours?”

“Follow me.”

///

"Gin."

"What? You have got to be kidding me."

"No-pie-one!"

"Huh? Say again?"

Nico swallowed his s'more, grinning at me. "Nope! I won!"

"Dammit," I said, scowling at him. I threw down my cards in defeat. "Fine. You shuffle, then."

"Don't mind if I do."

I rolled my eyes, laughing. Nico shuffled the deck on the kitchen table, where we'd accumulated all the candles in the house that we could find. Bags of marshmallows and bars of chocolate were scattered across the surface, along with the plastic knives that we were using to hold the marshmallows above the candle flames. We'd played over ten games of Gin Rummy and something told me we'd still be playing long into the night.

Nico had even made a little sign for our escapades, which he set against the candle sticks. On a notecard read:


Lawnfire Gathering: Family Edition

October 16, 2020 23:01

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

13 comments

Hey Lina! Since I read your last story (and by the way, I LOVED it) I decided to read this one, and I want to let you in on a little secret here... AMAZING JOB!! I love the characters, the details and the work & effort you put in to this story!! Great job! :)

Reply

Lina Oz
04:16 Oct 18, 2020

Thank you so much for reading my stories and leaving such thoughtful comments! Reading your stories now :)

Reply

No problem! I love reading your stories! :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Marshal Streigh
17:29 Oct 22, 2020

This is great. Love how the fire is both Nico's frustration and hope shown in action. Also, the changes from sad to sweet are realistic as hell and definitely swing in a way that only could come from a set of siblings learning to understand each other's grief. One thing that was off to me was Nico's repetition of "Don't blame them." I just feel that a kid on a tear wouldn't pause to emphasize a point they've already made. And I think it didn't quite match with the otherwise emotional and quick-tempered style that seemed to fit him perfect...

Reply

Lina Oz
17:47 Oct 22, 2020

Thank you so much for your kind comments and for your feedback, Nathan! You're right regarding your critique. I struggle to write younger characters (and their mindsets), but I'm going to keep experimenting with future prompts and try to develop different voices/flavors for characters a little better in my upcoming stories! Really appreciate your feedback and I'm excited to read your work! :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
01:03 Oct 19, 2020

Hi Lina :-) I just discovered your stories, and didn't know where to start first (but this is the one I chose). You have a great knack for turning your story arcs in different (unexpected) directions. I kept guessing until the end, and loved the surprises. Also - the joke in your bio gets the thumbs-up too!!

Reply

Lina Oz
03:56 Oct 19, 2020

Hi Mary-claire! Thank you so much for your kind comment! I really appreciate your feedback :) Haha, happy to spread some laughter with my horrible jokes, too!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Lani Lane
15:32 Oct 18, 2020

ANOTHER cute story!! Love it!! “Would you just stop––“ This is super dumb and not your fault but the end quotation there in the story is backwards. XD “Come again? Care to repeat that?” I kinda just like "What?" instead, I feel like a teen wouldn't say "come again"? IDK I HAVEN'T BEEN A TEEN IN A WHILE lol. “Shut-up.” Don't need a hyphen there! "No-pie-wunsh!" I totally get that his mouth is full there but this is kinda off to me, I think it's just the "sh" at the end that's doing it. Idk how to explain it lol sorry if this ed...

Reply

Lina Oz
16:31 Oct 18, 2020

Oh man, I KNEW that last bit of dialogue was really weird––thanks for affirming my thoughts haha! And, as always, thanks for all these amazing catches. I really appreciate it :)

Reply

Lani Lane
16:42 Oct 18, 2020

I think it's on the right track!! Maybe just omit the "sh" and that's it!! Of course, anytime! :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Malz Castell
07:48 Oct 30, 2020

I LOVED this one. I actually read it a week or so back, but I wanted to read it again. Beautifully executed.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Vameerah Darren
18:29 Oct 27, 2020

awwwwwwwwwwwwww the ending was really sweet, I love how she went from screaming at him to comforting him. Great job!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Elle Clark
06:36 Oct 21, 2020

This was unexpectedly heartwarming, especially as it starts with a little brother going all pyro. The relationships and personal dramas are so realistic and so well thought through. Very on brand for younger siblings to assume that the older ones are fine when they’re dealing with the same stuff as well! A lovely piece of writing!

Reply

Show 0 replies

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.