0 comments

Fiction

      “They’ve began to take over. Do not approach them. It is unsure whether or not they pose a threat to us currently. A nationwide quarantine is to take effect by tomorrow morning. Board your windows. Lock your doors. Stay safe. In other news, people have begun to disappear from their homes. Mostly children between the ages of two and ten. They have been seen walking with two of these creatures towards the woods. None of the thirteen missing children have been recovered as of yet. If you have any information about their whereabouts, please contact your local police department.” Rachel clicked off the TV, annoyance sparkling in her eyes as she looked around at her family. Everyone was terrified for absolutely nothing, but she knew they’d be fine. They were always fine.

           Things have been spotted all over the world. First, it was just one in the United States. A creature that looked disturbingly human except for its too wide smiles and eyes that never seemed to blink. At first, it had been said to be some kind of disorder, a disruption in the genes, but that idea was quickly thrown away when testing found that their blood wasn’t a substance known to man. People were paid a fortune to snatch them up and bring them to labs as their numbers began to rise exponentially. After a year, there were a million reported.

           A laugh sounded from outside, a clicking, menacing thing. Rachel’s dad put a finger up to his mouth, warning them to be quiet. Rory, Rachel’s little sister, began to cry quietly into her mother’s side. Rachel rolled her eyes as she watched her mom gather the little girl in her arms.

           These things seemed to be observing rather than attacking. They became harder and harder to spot. Some even managed to worm their ways into families, posing as long lost relatives or orphaned children that needed a home. No one knew exactly where they were coming from, but there were some wild theories. Some said they were aliens from another planet studying our behaviors. Others said that they were some kind of predator, just waiting for us to let down our guard to strike.

           “It’s okay, darling. I won’t let them hurt you.” Another laugh echoed through the building accompanied by a scraping sound that woke up the baby. Wails joined the laughter as Rachel’s mom rushed to comfort her youngest child.

           The babies were the easiest to pick out. Their creepy smiles and full set of teeth set them apart from the human babies. These were the first to be tested on, trying to figure out exactly what they were. As they became toddlers, it was shown that they had an extraordinary aptitude for learning languages. They could master several languages as young as three years old. The children eventually escaped containment, taking revenge on several of the scientists which fueled the predator rumor. The Huntings began, but it became less and less obvious who wasn’t human. Fear always leads to a lapse of judgment and people starting turning on each other.

           Rachel’s dad ransacked the kitchen for the butcher knives. Finally finding one, he crept towards the door where the knob was jostling. Flinching as the door splintered, Rachel dove behind the couch. They were here.

           The quarantine had lasted for years. People controlled hoarded resources and soon there were people dying off. Food was scarce, so the raids began. Sending off expendable family members, families would hope for them to come back with food or other needed items. Sometimes they would. More frequently, they would disappear, never to be heard from again.

           Her dad’s scream echoed around the room until it suddenly cut out. Rachel groaned slightly as the baby began crying again, revealing her mother, Rory, and the baby in the other room. The things began walking silently and Rachel began to shiver. One of them was sure to find her. Rachel heard her mother shriek and something heavy hit the floor with a thud. The baby’s cries still could be heard throughout the house. Furrowing her brows, Rachel listened intently for Rory. She could hear hushed voices coming from the room her mother was in. Their discussion droned on and Rachel began to feel a bit tired. Blinking the tiredness from her eyes, she stared at the door intently.  

           One of the things about the strange humanoids is they would always come back for their offspring. Children would be taken away by an adult, both smiling their wide, terrifying smiles. Rachel began to grow wary as the whispers continued. Conflicted, she glanced between the half closed door to the room and her hiding spot. Should she check on her sister or stay where she was currently safe? Her breathing began to quicken as the baby’s cries turned to coos. Something was definitely wrong, but was it really worth risking her safety? The baby sounded happy enough and Rachel was certain that the baby would be fine until they left. Trying to monitor her heart rate, she purposefully slowed her breaths. She didn’t know whether or not the things could hear her racing heart, but it seemed to be one of the only things she could hear. A loud crash next to her left Rachel whimpering in her hiding place. Her mother’s ugly floral vase that always fit precariously on the bookshelf had crashed down. The things rushed out of the room shouting in a language she couldn’t understand. Rory sprinted out close behind them laughing at something. The vase’s shattered remains spread out over the floor, the rim, still somehow intact, coming to a stop at Rachel’s feet. Rachel’s eyes locked with Rory’s as her gaze landed on Rachel, the two grinning things seemingly oblivious. Rory’s face contorted, eyes widening along with her smile as she pointed out Rachel.

           “She’s one of them.” Rory whispered, eyes devoid of emotion and smile just a little bit too wide to be truly human. 

February 11, 2021 22:54

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.