1 comment

Christian Friendship

Madame Susie, a citizen of Yorkshire, was just twenty when she got married. To speak of a fact, the wedding wasn’t any grand affair. It was a mediocre banquet. The bridesmaids accompanied the bride with beautiful flowers in hand. The wedding gown was from Lionel fashion stores. It was white with silver glitters on it. She wore a pearl necklace to go with the wedding gown.

Madame wished for a grander wedding but, oh, she didn’t have enough to fulfill her wish. A dozen people of similar stature attended the wedding and poured wishes for Susie. The day was unforgettable for her as it was one of the very few celebrations in her family.

The roses on the wreath were smelling like perfume lingering in the air. The glittery wedding gown, although not expensive, was memorable for Madame since it was her father’s gift to her. For the banquet, three dishes were served-the main course, a middle course, and a dessert.

This was all with her wedding.  But yet somewhere in her heart, she felt the need for a grander wedding and accessories.

She remembers her friend Katy’s wedding where the wedding gown was well designed and pricier than hers. The banquet hall of friend Ashley was ambient and spacious for hundred guests. Despite the prerequisites of her wedding unfulfilled in a wishful way, she knew she had to be content not to ponder over it and be happy since it was a grand day. She was going to choose her wedding partner and soulmate.

The wedding cleared, and it was time for Madame Susie to leave for the groom’s home, which she was looking eagerly for. Finally, the groom and the new bride arrived home. They were welcomed with garlands. Madame Susie brought home all that she needed. Gowns, accessories, cosmetics, and her favourite books, were packed in a trunk. The early carriage left Yorkshire at 3:00 a.m.

She now had to get used to her new home. To speak of, the rooms were dull with faded walls, old curtains, and ordinary furniture. Although Madame Susie didn’t expect great things, she had a picture in her mind of how the home had to be.

Food was served in old silverware. Since they reached home by 7:00 in the morning it was time for breakfast, which was bread and toast with butter. The butter tasted better than what she had back home. The tea was quite tasty too. “The tea tastes really good,” she said. 

“Your father-in-law loves to drink it this way. I am used to giving him tea three times a day and so I prepare it the same way.”

“Wished you learned cooking ways for Oliver to impress him,” she advised after he left the room.

How nice things appear in a place where you don’t find the best or what you expect but not for Madame Susie. Some things she had to be contented with still kept her brooding over the unavailability of choice.

She cannot choose what a bedroom has to be like, nor the kitchen she will be working in for the kitchen is full of soot and dust.

One day, Madame Susie wanted to gift a bouquet to one of her housemaids after her demise. On her way back home, she met her old friend Ria who was the daughter of a well-known physician, Dr. Johnson. It was many days after they met in the bouquet store. Ria could not attend the wedding ceremony of Madame Susie because they were not in touch for a long time after a civil war that ended up in a few immigrants.

While they had a conversation, Ria found Susie got married and she congratulated her. Now Susie wanted to learn the whereabouts of Ria.

Ria was to be married in the coming month and she invited Susie for the same. Susie was to arrive at Ria’s wedding at least three days before. Susie was happy about the invitation and promised to do so.

The day of the wedding came and Susie had to reach Ria’s place in Northampton just three days before. “What present would be good enough? It’s a wealthy person’s wedding and I have only 45 cents with me. Yes, a bouquet would be better. What shall I wear? My wedding dress with my new heels. I have to buy an artificial necklace since it is not safe to carry jewellery for long distances.”

The wedding planner designed the venue in a way that Ria was the apple of everyone’s eye. She was going to be the new bride soon. The banquet hall was very large and fit for at least a hundred guests. At least twenty varieties of dishes were served for the banquet. 

It was the shock of the moment for Madame Susie for she had never witnessed a grander wedding than that of Ria. However, she didn’t outpour her emotion. Had her dinner heartily with Oliver for a companion and left the wedding hall after rendering greetings to Ria. She also gave her a box of candy bought in Christopher’s candy shop.

Her heart, although, squeezed at the thought of a grand wedding for Ria, Madame Susie’s heart was filled with happiness when she found that she loved her own wedding gown. She received more praises than Ria got for her wedding. The banquet although mini-sized was a delight for all those who partook of the dishes during Susie’s wedding day.

Although it was orchestra music for Ria’s wedding, very few people enjoyed it. They suggested to the father that the next daughter should have a piano for her wedding. Looks like piano music became popular at the time. Madame Susie herself had piano music for that day which she loved the most. 

Madame Susie always envied her friends that they had big fat weddings but now she recalled her wedding, which was much more memorable than others. She finally understood the grass isn’t greener on the other side. Her wedding could be more satisfying than that of affluent people who could not make their wedding day bigger than her own though they shell out a bigger buck.

Madame Susie shared with Oliver at the supper table that she attended Ria’s wedding and she was proud of her wedding and thankful for her husband for becoming the love of her life.

August 02, 2022 05:47

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

1 comment

05:51 Aug 02, 2022

The story is about a woman who starts off being discontent about her life and finally realizes you are not poorer than others.

Reply

Show 0 replies
RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.