13 comments

Crime Sad

“I don’t know, I find it hard to believe.” He scratched his head, his expression growing uncertain. “Look, I want to help you, but I’m going to need your collaboration.”


“The best I can do is tell the truth. I’m not guilty.”


“But you were at the wrong place at the wrong time,” Matthew commented. “Several people saw you fleeing the scene minutes before the body was found.” 


Jack sighed, running a hand through his hair. ‘I know’ He mumbled.


“You claim you didn’t see her body when you headed to the garage…”


“I swear I didn’t. She must have fallen behind a van or something. I did notice a smell, but I thought it was the trash cans.”


“Do you realize how absurdly implausible that sounds?”


“Wait, you don’t believe me?”


“You’re lucky I do.”


“Should I lie then?”


“A lie wouldn’t help you. The truth sounds flimsy enough.”


“Then I’m screwed. It was just a matter of bad luck, I haven’t done anything.”


“The jury will never believe you.”


“I would never have done this. It could have been any of her neighbors.”


“But you knew her well.”


Hesitating, Jack looked away, avoiding eye contact. He did know her, and better than he would have liked to admit right now. In a flash, he remembered their moments together. Some walks in the park, a night spent laughing and drinking wine, a kiss in the cinema. 


“I did.” He wiped his hands against his trousers, distractedly. “But that has nothing to do with what’s happened. Everyone in the building knew her.”


“But no one had a personal relationship with her. You know as well as I do that the closest to a conversation anyone in there had had with her was probably some brief small talk in the elevator. You, however...”


“She had relatives, friends, and colleagues who knew her as well as I did, and better.”


“Yet the only person seen near the scene was you.”


“But it wasn’t me!”


“The jury will think it was! All evidence points to you!”


“There’s barely any proof, Matthew. All they know is it was caused by a fall.” Jack said, crossing his arms across his chest and leaning back in his chair.


“A push”, Matthew corrected. “And there were signs of a struggle, possibly a fight.”


“She and I barely ever had a discussion, let alone fight.”


“She had received a blow on the right cheek.”


“Matthew…” Jack trailed off. His cheeks flushed in anger, trying to think of a possible reason why anyone could have done this. 


“You’re left-handed.”


“My apartment is on another staircase. It is an entirely different building, to be honest.” He indicated. “We only have a common lobby-” 


“Your tie and wallet were found in her flat.”


Jack rolled his eyes. “I lost them a couple of nights before. I must have forgotten them there when I was with her.”


“They also found your fingerprints at the scene-”


“Stop trying to pin it on me” Jack snapped. “You know I haven’t done anything.”


“I’m just looking at it from the Jury’s viewpoint. You’ve got quite an unconvincing alibi.” Matthew gave him an apologetic look. He sighed. “Look, Steiner-”


Jack put his foot down, troubled. His eyes darted around the room, in search of an idea. “You gotta help me, Matthew” He gulped. “I’m innocent.”


“I know. I’m trying.”


“How much could I get?”


“Well,” Matthew cautioned. “I’m not sure. Fifteen years or more. Maybe life.”


“Christ” Jack groaned, resting his forehead against his entwined hands.


“You have two choices,” Matthew conceded, organizing his papers into a neat pile.


“Hmm?” Jack looked up from the table, his face twisted in an anxious expression.


“You can either testify,” Matthew faltered, “or you can decide to keep quiet.”


Jack shook his head in resignation.


“Either way I don’t think they’ll believe your story.”


“It’s pointless to talk to you, isn’t it?”


“This is entirely out of my control.” Matthew shrugged. “There’s no one to blame, but there’s been a murder and the only suspect is you.”


“There has to be a solution to this.”


“I’m very sorry.” He looked deep into Jack’s eyes. “I truly am. I know you haven’t done anything. But I also know that life isn’t fair.”


Jack held his gaze.


“Maybe one day you’ll manage to clear your name, maybe you won’t. I guess we’ll just have to hope for the best.”


“Matthew”, Jack’s voice was pleading. “Please.”


“I’m doing my best, Steiner, I promise.” Matthew asserted, “But you don’t need my help, you need a miracle. And in the absence of divine intervention, I’m afraid the jury will most likely convict you.”


Jack’s posture stiffened. He stood up and offered his hand, hinting that the meeting had reached its end. Matthew shook his hand firmly, and they made their way to the door. Before exiting the room, Jack took one last look towards his lawyer.


“I don’t believe in miracles.” He declared.


-------


“Will the defendant please rise.”


Jack slowly pushed back his chair, and stood as straight as he could. He scanned the faces of the jury members, but none of them locked eyes with him.


“Mister Foreman, has the jury reached a verdict?”


He tried to soothe his thoughts. The only thing to come to mind was Martha. He recalled how happy he had been with her, how she had made him feel, how it had all come to an end. And now he was facing the consequences of a crime he didn’t commit.


“We have, your Honor.”


He loosened his shoulders. He almost smiled at the thought of how funny his situation was. Because of a simple stroke of bad luck, he muttered to himself.


“How say you?”


Jack’s arms hung limp at his sides. His eyes were fixed on the floor, his mind numb.


“In the matter of the State of California vs Jack Steiner…”


He closed his eyes. In a split second, he almost wished he believed in miracles.


“...we find the defendant guilty.”




January 12, 2021 09:20

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

13 comments

Madison Smith
07:10 Jan 15, 2021

Great job! I was sucked in right away and the ending was beautifully ironic/ disappointing (on behalf of Jack). Keep it up! Would you mind carrying on the chain? Here's how I found you, and your stories<3 So if you can go to 10 new/different accounts that you haven't followed yet, follow them, read 1 story(at least), and pass it on. By pass it on I mean tell them to do it! Kind of like a chain. Don't be the weakest link :) You guys are all so nice I think that you will do it. Comment #Followed10challenge if you did it! Be the change you wa...

Reply

Gabrielle Louw
07:51 Jan 15, 2021

Thank you for the feedback!! And don't worry, I'll continue the chain :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Nainika Gupta
18:01 Jan 12, 2021

What a great first submission!! Super unique and creative...just adored it!! Can't wait to read more from you!! -happy writing

Reply

Gabrielle Louw
09:17 Jan 13, 2021

Thank you so much!! Glad you enjoyed it!

Reply

Nainika Gupta
13:07 Jan 13, 2021

Awww no problem :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Palak Shah
16:43 Mar 08, 2021

Great story. The ending was phenomenal and I can't wait to read some more of your stories. Have a good day :)) Hope we can be friends :D I hope you read some of my stories ~Palak Shah

Reply

Gabrielle Louw
15:50 Mar 09, 2021

Thank you so much for the feedback!! Really glad you liked it :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Aaron Caicedo
15:52 Jan 17, 2021

Wow! Such believable dialogue, and a truly interesting plot. Awesome job!

Reply

Gabrielle Louw
07:30 Jan 18, 2021

Thank you for the feedback! Glad you enjoyed it! :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Pieter Dude
19:09 Jan 13, 2021

Captivating and engaging, descriptive and mesmerizing! What a talent in the making!!

Reply

Gabrielle Louw
19:10 Jan 13, 2021

Aww thank you!!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Mym3 García
19:08 Jan 13, 2021

Wow, simply wow. This story is amazing!! I loved it, it was very entertaining and well-written. Loved it.

Reply

Gabrielle Louw
19:11 Jan 13, 2021

Glad you liked it!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.