The Beasts Behind Me

Submitted into Contest #46 in response to: Write a story about an author who has just published a book.... view prompt

0 comments

General

Cory Anderson walked the city streets, the crisp autumn breeze blowing the leaves away.

“Did you hear? The book “The Beasts Behind Me” is so popular these days! But it's crazy since he literally just published it not too long ago!” A girl said to her friend on the left, oblivious to the fact that the author is standing there himself in person, right next to her.

“Duh. I finished it, like, yesterday,” The girl’s friend rolled her eyes, “you just heard about it? I can’t believe you just knew about this-”

Cory briskly walked past the girls, almost jogging as he entered the “BuzzyBuzz” company for his interview. It was much warmer in here with the wind gone...


“So, Mr. Anderson, your novel ‘The Beasts Behind Me’ is the next Harry Potter! And it's amazing how you just published this story not a few weeks ago! Millions of reads and purchases and so far, and from what many have heard, lots of calls coming from interviewers! Lucky me, haha! What are your thoughts about this?” The interviewer asked.

“Well, I never expected this story to be such a hit,” Cory Anderson grinned. I just decided to write this novel as a side job, and since I liked writing, it was fun too. I am glad that people do like this story though.” 

“Oh yes, I personally loved how the story was put together. It flowed nicely, somehow like a log would flow down a river smoothly,” the interviewer said, “Now first things first, could you introduce and give a short summary on your novel?”

“Ah, yes. Of course. So, this book ‘The Beasts Behind Me’ is where the protagonist, Ben, is from the world Oskoenia which is a place in this story. He travels place to place, in secret, helping the world in ways. But what will everyone do when Ben gets captured by a mafia group, that consists of vampires, goblins, and creatures of sorts? How will the community of the fantasy planet overcome their sudden problems that Ben has always been fixing in secret, that are bound to collapse on them any second? Is it also Ben’s fault that he did this in private and did not let the community try to fix the problems themselves? The beasts will forever be chasing Ben, no matter whether he escapes or not. Whether he is dead or alive. Or whether he’s in a different universe. How will this story end?” Anderson concluded with a grin.

“I have almost finished this book myself, and it is quite fun to read! I hope you come out with a sequel soon! Haha! Now, if you don’t mind me asking, what gave you the inspiration to write this story and what helped you continue it? I heard you almost gave up. We are all glad you didn’t!” The interviewer chuckled.

“Yes, I am glad too. Well, many of you already know, I started this story a few years ago, but I finally managed to publish this a few weeks ago. Due to financial struggles that I had faced in the past, it was almost impossible for me to even write past the introduction,” Cory Anderson took a breath, “I was stuck in my story many times and I often went to museums and took inspiration from other artists and authors, and also mainly my life. The paintings and sculptures gave me inspiration and helped expand my imagination, thoughts, and kept me going with my novel.” Cory Anderson finished.

“I heard about your journey throughout these few years… about how you had overcome many obstacles you faced. Would it be alright for you to take a few steps further with explaining?” The interviewer looked up.

“Sure thing,” Anderson took a sip of water and screwed the cap back on, “Excuse me. So, it all started around 5 years ago. That was when I started with my book. I was financially struggling and I was 25 at that time. I had just been fired from a company I was working at, and working at fast-food chains just wasn’t cut out for me. The rent payment was also just around the corner and I had two dogs to take care of. I did have enough to buy meals for myself, but not for my dogs. So I had no choice but to give them to the pet shelter that was near where I resided. I ended up working at the supermarket downtown and was writing a resume to a different company at the same time. I decided to not pay for my rent and left my house. I know this may be shocking to some, but I decided to sleep on the streets instead. I used the gas station’s restroom every morning and night to get clean.”

“It isn’t rare for many authors to end up sleeping on the streets… It is an experience that can help one grow independently though. How did it feel?” The interviewers shook his head. 

“It’s definitely something I’ll remember forever though. It was tough especially when it rained or snowed, and especially since I did have boxes filled with my belongings. Although I lived on the streets, I was able to put them under a roof, next to the wall near the corner of the gas station.” Anderson replied and smiled.

“Oh yes, definitely is going to be memorable,” The interviewer took a breath, “What happened with your job after that?”

“I was able to get 50 dollars by the end of each day for a few months and after a year and a half, I got my house back and was accepted by the new company. I worked multiple jobs to get by and let me tell you, it was not easy.” Anderson said.

“Wow... I can’t imagine how hard it must have been for you.” The interviewer sighed.

“Over the next 2 years I resided in the same neighborhood, and I had almost half of the story written down. That was when more problems arose once again. I was stuck and I wasn’t sure of how to continue the story. Throughout that remaining 6 months, I read other stories from other authors, tried to get inspiration through music, and even went to museums and trips around the city to get ideas. Somehow, none of this helped. I joined a writer’s circle and asked for help. I said that I was stuck. I described what happened so far in my novel and asked for opinions and thoughts. A lady from my writer’s circle told me to use my experiences to help boost the story and keep it going. Specifically saying, ‘Take it a step further. Step out the box. To improvise from simpler thoughts,’ She said, ‘Not until we are lost, do we begin to.’ I left the writer’s circle early, thinking about what she had said. I walked home, down the city streets. I listened to the sounds I heard, and I even observed the smallest details as I walked through the city," Anderson glanced at the camera and smiled,

"Then when I arrived back home, I looked at my laptop where my novel sat, waiting to be finished. Then just like how lightning strikes land so quickly and unseen to the blind eye, an idea popped into my head just like that. It was like magic. My hands automatically connected to the keyboard and my fingers just started moving on its own. I was able to finish the story around a year later near June and went to find an editor to help me look through my work. I was planning to get my book edited and fixed by the end of that year, but due to some other problems, it was hard for me to get it done that quickly. My editor, also a friend of mine, was injured and at that time was located in France. So, I decided to go to France. Okay, Okay, now, you might be thinking that I am crazy to decide to waste money and travel to France just to get my novel edited, but I only decided to do so since I wanted to make sure he was okay. While I’m there, he can help with editing while I can visit him from time to time. This friend of mine has been my editor since I wrote my older stories back in the days. He did an outstanding job and did his work quickly,” Anderson chuckled. 

“Wow! Now maybe other authors are interested in finding that editor of yours. Haha. What happened after you arrived in France though? It’s been said that there were even more problems?” The interviewer frowned. 

“My editor’s injury was bigger than what I was told. He never told me that it was a big accident. When I arrived at the hospital he was in, he was mainly sleeping all the time. He had a few bone fractures from the accident and had surgery done as well. It felt so bad and sorry that I had come to ask for his help when he was not doing so good himself either. So, after two weeks, he finally was able to move around a bit more and I felt it would tire him if I asked him to help with my work. And so I just left France since I did not plan on staying any longer, so I left with a sad farewell," Anderson took a breath, "A month or two later, my editor left France and came back. I went to visit him at his house and asked for his help. He was more than glad to be able to help after I told him about what had happened last time. In the end, I had delayed my book to be finished in editing for about six to seven months. Half a year had passed by, and I finally managed to get my novel edited and in good shape to be published. Over the next year and months remaining, I managed to get in contact with a designer to help with the book cover and a publication company to help publish my novel. I used a lot of my salary to help with my novel and its journey, and I almost didn’t have enough to pay my rent again! Thank god I passed that though. Whew.” Anderson took another sip of water.

“What are your final thoughts on your journey throughout these years? It must’ve been hard for you but also was a learning experience wasn’t it?” The interviewer asked.

“When I think about my journey throughout these years for this novel, I think of the hurdles and obstacles that came my way and how I was able to pass them and survive. I also think of the people that supported me when I was struggling and also I focused a lot on the novel itself. A thing that I can say that I am 100% sure is that this journey was definitely a learning experience that will be memorable.” Anderson replied.

“Oh yes I agree with you,” The interviewer smiled, “What do your parents think about your successes then?”

“My father passed away not that long ago before I was able to publish this book due to cancer, but my mother is still alive,” Anderson started, “I feel bad and I wish my father could have seen my success. He told me he wanted to see me be successful in business and life before he passes away…” 

“Oh, I’m sorry for your loss… it must be sad for you to not be able to show what you could do…” The interviewer said.

“That’s alright, some things just can’t be fixed.”

There was a pause.

“Last question, I heard that you choose this name for a specific reason as your title. May I ask why?” The interviewer asked. 

“Well, while writing this story, it felt like beasts were chasing me. Rather than beasts, more like my thoughts and experiences were. I had trauma when I was little and I included that experience into my story and was able to describe a scene easier. I also felt like debt and financial businesses and companies were chasing me. Like everything I’ve been through, they were chasing me. Kinda like a hate-love type of relationship. I would keep on going with my story like I would be running from the ‘beasts’ in other words, experiences and all, but turn back and realize that they are still chasing me when I think they aren’t, keeping me going. Like how people encouraged me and helped me, like how I was able to escape the ‘beasts’ because of the fear I felt. This also was a good title because it explained my journey in a way of writing this novel, and also is a good title for my book itself because of what my novel is about. Read the book to better understand why it is a good title and how it relates! It’s like two messages in one!” Anderson laughed. 

The interviewer laughed along.

“Any final words you would like to say to our returning fans or new-comers?” The interviewer asked. 

“Thank you all, those who are watching or listening today to listen to my story and novel and I hope that my book, ‘The Beasts Behind Me’ is fun and interesting to read. Sharing would be appreciated!” Anderson exclaimed. 

“Yes! Thank you everyone for watching today’s interview with Cory Anderson, author of ‘The Beasts Behind Me’ and tuning in! Make sure to give him some love by reading his book, sharing, and following his social media! See you all next time!” The interviewer concluded as they both waved goodbye to the viewers.


For those who want a cliff-hanging, more thrilling twist as an ending, read here (>w<):


“Thank you for coming today, I thought you said you couldn’t make it!” Roxy the interviewer exclaimed after the live shoot was all done and everything was good.

“Haha. I thought so too,” Anderson paused as he looked at his phone, “Well, I’m terribly sorry, but I’ve got something to do right now. I apologize!” Anderson gave a sad frown and a thumbs up toward Roxy.

“Oh, no worries! I’ll see you next time then!” Roxy gave a sympathetic smile and a wave. 


Anderson took the lift and down he went to the first floor, hurrying to leave the building. He arrived at an alley next to Chinatown to find his friend from Oskoenia.

“Hey, Peter. What’s going on?” Anderson asked as he transformed into Ben.

“Ben,” Peter panted, “They’re back. They found you.” 


(Btw, FYI, just saying, for those who didn't understand why this is called the beasts behind me, that is because the author got famous with his book called the beasts behind me and during the interview, he talks about how how the meaning of his book has 2 meanings. It also represents a part of his life and also the title fits with the story of the novel. So its kinda like the short story I wrote is a novel that the author wrote that has multiple meanings behind it. Also, btw, one of the main emotions or feelings that this author and story holds his the author dwelling on his past too much. It may not be obvious and easy to tell though. Thank you for reading! I hope you all enjoyed it... :D )


June 15, 2020 07:51

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.