0 comments

Science Fiction Friendship

People rushed past me as they talked on their cellphones. Horns beeped impatiently as I waited to walk across. If I had a heart, it would be beating out of my metal ample chest. My white t-shirt and jeans made me feel out of place. I had stolen them in my escape. I had to blend in or I would be caught by the scary people in white lab coats with a clipboard in their hand. My jade green eyes flickered across the bustling crowd searching for them. My software freaked out as I noticed I had no shoes. I now stood out. Panicking, I hid in a nearby ally.

"Where are your shoes?" A quiet woman's voice asked cautiously. "Are you okay?" Upon turning around I saw a woman in a blue uniform and black shiny shoes. Her dark brown hair was pulled back into a tight bun. Shiny bracelets glinted on her black belt as she frowned and her brown eyes filled with curiosity.

"I am okay, I think." I hesitated with a heavy pause. "I just left them at home." A weak smile spread across my pale face. Her emotions were so hard to read. Why didn't they teach me any of this?

"Do you want to come to the station with me?" She offered with doubt in her eyes. "Do you have an ID?" I just stared at her dumbly as she reached for her black box on her shoulder.

"What is an ID?" I inquired blinking twice. "We did not have those where I came from." She put her hand on her hip as she looked deep in thought.

"Where did you you come from, exactly?" She interrogated with squinted eyes. "Tell me the truth." Shifting anxiously, I sighed. Maybe she can help me. I at least need a place to hide.

"The men in white coats are after me." I stated coolly. "I am Subject A. I was created in some place with wires and all kinds of needles. They just kept doing bad things to me. Please don't turn me in." She tilted her head as she waved me over. My red hair hung loosely in her hands as she examined me with her intense eyes.

"Can I call you Britt?" She wondered calmly. "You came that lab outside of town didn't you? You can come home wi-" A bullet whizzed past her head.

"Can we have our property back?" A cold familiar boomed. "Let's do this the nice way." We turned around. Her eyes filled with anger, I think as she shakily raised her shiny silver item. There were five men in black suits and black sunglasses. Something clicked in me as I snapped their fragile necks one by one until no one was left. I had just felt an odd need to defend someone.

What was this odd feeling? I looked over at the woman. Her body was shaking as she fainted in front of me. Did I hurt her? Not knowing what to do, I waited until she woke up.

"Shit, this is not a dream!" She exclaimed with a playful smile. "Ready to go home, so you can explain yourself." Nodding, we got into her small black car. Buildings turned to fields of tall green grass as we pulled into a white farmhouse. They showed me pictures of these things. Where were the cows and pigs? This is where food came did it not.

"This is your home?" I queried with a head tilt. Rolling her eyes, she opened the door, and guided me inside.

"I am assuming you don't eat." She joked with a chuckle. "Tell me your life story." My face filled with confusion as she giggled.

"I told you. I am Subject A and I was created by the guys with a pyramid on their coats." I answered. "I was put to what they kept calling tests. That is all I know." My hands clenched on their own, as my teeth clenched. A strange feeling of wanting to break everything filled me. She touched my hands with her warm hands, and a huge sense of relief washed over me.

It did not last long for there was a loud boom outside as a bright fire lit up the darkness. Her black car was on fire. The same urge rose inside me as he walked towards me. He had on his black suit and black shoes. His black hair glistened in the orange of the fire. She ran to her phone, and she was doing something with it.

"Shit, he cut the damn lines." She cursed as the lights went out. "It appears he found us. Stay here. " Standing next to her, I shook my head.

"I will work with you. You should let me do all of the work." I comforted as she started to protest. "If I die, I never existed." Water started to pour from her eyeholes as she clenched her fist.

"You exist to me, Britt!" She cried as the water flowed faster. "I can't lose you like I lost everyone else." Wrapping my arms around her she relaxed a little as she leaned into me. Pushing her off, I walked outside to face him. He was going to die, or get caught.

"Subject A, good girl." He teased me. "Come with me and she lives." Looking back at me, she shook her head as I walked towards him.

"You promise?" I inquired solemnly. "Don't ever hurt her." He reached up to touch me when a bullet whizzed by my head and hit him. Blood oozed out of a hole in the middle of his forehead. A loud thud echoed throughout the still night as he fell in front of me. My new friend ran out and wrapped her arms around me.

"This is a hug. It is a showing of love and friendship." She stated gently. "I told you I would not lose you too, Britt." Blue and red lights flashed in the distance.

"I don't want to go back in another cage." I begged with fear in my voice. She shook her head and took my hands.

"I won't let that happen." She promised with a big smile. "How do you feel about becoming a cop and working with me everyday?" A grin filled my face as I contemplated her offer.

"What if they hate me?" I asked nervously. Chuckling, she rolled her eyes.

"I will tell them you are my cousin. I know a guy who can give me papers and make you a person. I will also tell them your ID was burned in my car." She offered. "Please stay. I don't want to be alone."

"Okay. Just protect me." I whispered.

February 25, 2021 20:49

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.