Couple who have just moved to a place that one person loves, and the other hates.

Submitted into Contest #59 in response to: Write about a couple who have just moved to a place that one person loves, and the other hates.... view prompt

3 comments

Adventure Creative Nonfiction Funny



The first couple out of the three couples had ended up in a place which one loved and the other hated. The question now arises as to how they ended up in such a place and continue to pull on with appearance of peaceful and prosperous living.


Uma elder of the two sisters has the rare X factor in her which even though she could not get the best out of i.e. the X factor in the war with financial burden in the family but gave her an upper hand in taking certain decisions in the groom’s family, irrespective of encountering a stiff resistance from her mother in law.


As a brand new bride entering a new richer family, wedded to a stranger, subjected to the new family set up required a careful maneuvering, cajoling the groom, comforting the elders, consoling the depressed, condoning the young ones for their errands and gradually gaining confidence and garnering support from those who mattered the most in the groom’s family. All these battles fought and forging ahead victorious to win the war. After winning the war, rule like a queen, expressing intentions, putting pressure on the helpless groom to move to places of her liking that was concealed in her heart from the initial days, not even initial days, days prior to the marriage when she dreamt hibernating in the land of her choice.


Usha the younger of the two was good looking but did not have the X factor of Uma and was not very outspoken about her desires as to the place she would wish to spend her marital journey. As luck would have it or unlucky it looked, at the beginning, transported her to places she did not even dream of. She was married to a widower, which as you know is a factor that plays a vital role in the trade off in the business of marriages. Poverty played a prominent part in both the marriages. With obvious choice for families that are better off financially at least when weighed wisely and inwardly even though appearing oddly, awkwardly, out of the worldly, for the outside world.


The bridegrooms in both the above cases prevailed upon the brides Uma and Usha in the initial days but slowly but surely had to surrender to their wishes as both were aware of the consequences and did not have the energy or time to wage a losing battle and realized very well that in their loss lies their victory.


The second of the three couples became couples under extreme circumstances. Harish had completed his mechanical engineering and thereafter finished his Master of Business Administration from one of the most reputed institutions in the country. This embellished his prospect of becoming one of the most sought after groom in the country. But as fate would have it, he had to attend a small assignment in another important city and during that few days probably less than a week his singular identity metamorphosed into what is termed as couple. But at the same time morphed the prospects of a most sought after groom and punctured the plans and preparations of the groom’s family and relatives. The place lost its relevance as it had other major issues rendering the like and dislike of a place not worthy of discussion, debate or consideration.


The third of the three couples was the one of which the girl was divorced with a son under her care and quite pretty to look at. This condition was suitable for a groom who did not have any off spring from his first wife after marriage till she left for heavenly abode due to a fatal illness. Both of them as couples were quite matured, and were engaged in a midlife companionship with worries as to their financial branch of existence being almost negligible.


The groom after a few more years has now become a matured married man with that he has also become uncomfortable being rooted to a single place for longer time and therefore like to draw out plans to travel to different places, visit historical sites, arrange desert camps and his opting for marriage was one of the mean reason to satisfy his desire to explore new places and share and relate his views to a companion. The bride, now his wife would not mind joining him in most of his trips and travel destinations but hated places which made her miss the daily soaps she would watch on television and thereafter air her views in the women kitty parties and register their comments and remarks and serve her husband along with breakfast and anything that is missed, during lunch and her future plan of action at dinner time. It was now also for the same reason that is to escape the repeated and at times tortuous feedbacks of the women’s meetings and topics that became issues and remain still a bone of contention to address and deliberated over in detail and find solutions and bring up further questions and topics to keep the kitty parties everlasting. The wife also had to give time to her son who was pursuing his education and took good amount of her time, which was in a way a good distraction from ruminating over the place they are stationed. He was also their hope for taking them on trips and circumambulating the world as well as make best use of their remaining life by experiencing different cultures, hearing different dialects and seeing various types of costumes and outfits specific to that region.


After reflecting upon the liking and disliking of a particular place by each of the couples broadly points to the fact that liking and disliking of a place is a temporary feeling and if at all a lasting feeling it can be suspended by directing our energy and attention to other tastes and aspects of life. It reminds of a saying “Some things are good for sometimes, all things are good for sometimes, some things are good for all times, but all things are not good for all times.”


September 17, 2020 20:33

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

3 comments

03:54 Sep 24, 2020

I found it very creative of you to use the contrast of three relationships to illustrate a final point. The story showed that no matter how different people are it is possible to find good in any situation. The summary of the story brought out a key piece of wisdom for living life. To add a critique, I do wish the third sister had been named. It would have further personalized the point that people can come from the same family, yet have very different personalities. The flow of the story would have benefited from more attention to punctuat...

Reply

K V CHIDAMBARAM
16:09 Sep 24, 2020

Thanks very much for your insightful comments. Hope to take on board your suggestions in my future works. Best Wishes.

Reply

19:06 Sep 24, 2020

Thank you! Best wishes to you as well!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.