6 comments

Happy Romance Suspense

The clock read 2:30am as I snuggled up behind my husband Brandon. The Winter air had made its way into our home making it hard to get up in turn the heat on. Not being able to fall asleep I willed myself out of bed. Coffee sounded good to my soul as I made my way to the kitchen. The house was old and in need of renovations, but my parents left it for me when they went to stay in a nursery home. Two cups of coffee and a book later I finally dozed off in the old rocking chair…….

Wet kisses graced my face as I opened my eyes to see my husband's handsome face. Well good morning beautiful how did you get in here? I told him about not being able to sleep last night, well breakfast is on the table I'm headed out for work. We said our goodbyes and I got up to get my day started. My job was demanding working as a school teacher while my husband was a firefighter. Pulling up to the school in my beat up car I rushed to the classroom before the kids started coming in.

Normally I'm excited about being at work but lately I haven't been feeling to well, throwing up out of the blue. Today was no different, as soon as the bell rang for dismissal I called in made a Dr appointment. Probably food poisoning we did eat from a new restaurant last week. My best friend Sarah was meeting me for dinner tonight since my husband was working overtime. I walked out of my house at 7:30pm dressed in an all over body suit, normally it fit perfectly but today it felt snug. Let's gooo Sarah "yelled" from her car.

Girl what's wrong with you she asked? Noticing the expression on my face she said change of plans. We pulled up to this bar and grill called Lucious. Now what are we doing here, you said restaurant not bar. Listen, you need to live a little the band Polo is playing here tonight. I know you love your jazz music and she was right so I decided not to argue. We danced the night away. I sipped some wine and enjoyed myself until the bar closed. Looking at my phone I had 6 missed calls, Brandon was going to kill me. I forgot to tell him that we were at a bar, when we pulled up to my house his car was parked in the driveway. Honey I will call you later this is going to be a long night thank God tomorrow is Saturday I replied.

As soon as the car door shut Brandon came out on the front porch with an angry look on his face. Where have you been I was worried sick I couldn't focus at work so Joe told me to go home. I'm so sorry we ended up going to a bar listening to the band it slipped my mind. I didn't mean to make you worry, I know you had to pull a double shift tonight honey, please don't be mad I said putting on my pouty face. Normally it worked but tonight I had my work cut out for me. Don't ever scare me like that again he said walking into the house. That night I slept like a baby with my husband's arms wrapped tightly around me.

The weekend went by quickly, I cleaned the house, did the laundry, checked my students' homework and made Sunday dinner. Still feeling queasy Sunday night I told my husband about my doctor's appointment. Are you okay he asked? Yeah I'm fine just been feeling a little sick and wanted to get it checked out. I've been feeling this way since we went out to eat  last week. Maybe it's food poisoning. Let me know everything they say after your appointment tomorrow. The night went and came and soon it was Monday morning time for me to get ready for work.

School went by and soon it was time for me to go to the doctor to find out what was going on with my body. Abigail, the receptionist called out. It was time for me to go back and see the doctor. He ran a couple of tests and told me I could put my clothes back on. 20 minutes later he came back in with some papers. Well Abigail I have some very good news you are 4 weeks pregnant. The shock on my face made him giggle a little bit, I said thank you and left out the door. So much going on I didn't know whether to be happy or afraid, how's Brandon going to react with the news.

I went by the store to pick up a few items to make his favorite dish spaghetti. I wanted to be prepared for what he would think about us having a baby. A couple of hours went by and still there was no Brandon. I saw on the news that there was a big fire some blocks from my house.Without  thinking I grabbed my keys and jumped in the car. There was smoke everywhere when I pulled up to the burning house. Looking for Brandon in the crowd of firemen he was nowhere in sight. I saw Joe so I ran up to him "yelling" where is Brandon, is he okay? We have some men trying to get him out now. That was the last thing I heard before I dashed into the burning house.

Hands we're trying to grab me but I went straight through them yelling Brandon where are you? Can you hear me? Running through the Smoky house I saw my husband's body lying there, coughing and putting my hand over my face I grabbed the bottom of his legs and pulled him as hard as I could. Help I screamed as I dragged his body out of the burning building. The paramedics quickly rushed to my side and pumped his body. He started coughing and looked up at me. Abigail baby is that you? yes I said crying and smiling all at the same time. I hopped in the ambulance with them to make sure he was okay. As we rode to the hospital, I told him baby you have to be strong. I'm pregnant and you're going to be a father.

Months went by quickly and soon it was time to push. You have a healthy 6 lb baby boy congratulations, the doctor said. With my husband by my side I thank God above for the many blessings that he brought upon my life

October 17, 2020 00:08

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

6 comments

AJ Hensley
05:52 Oct 25, 2020

Great story and interesting plot! I concur with the other comment regarding following who was speaking at times. I think that can probably be helped with formatting. Including the quotations and separating out speaking lines with hard returns can be super helpful! Overall, looking forward to reading more of your work. I’d love your feedback on my piece “Honey and Lavender”!

Reply

Ashley Patterson
07:21 Oct 25, 2020

Thank you so much

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
14:33 Oct 24, 2020

I see some issue with determining on who was saying what and what was being said, some punctuation would help. But over all quite the good tale.

Reply

Ashley Patterson
15:25 Oct 24, 2020

Thank you I will remember that next time

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Danny -
07:31 Jan 06, 2021

I loveee this story, especially the ending...although, like some people had already mentioned, maybe you can try putting quotation marks when the characters are speaking? But who cares about that, it's so well-written i dont even care that it lacked punctuation, THIS STORYY IS AMAZING.

Reply

Ashley Patterson
18:04 Jan 06, 2021

Thank you so much... I'm so gladbu liked it I no it needs work but the fact u still liked it makes me happy

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.