Ten Seconds

Submitted into Contest #74 in response to: Write a story that takes place across ten seconds.... view prompt

1 comment

Suspense

Ten Seconds

By LuAnn Williamson

Ten

Mother

At last, I get a few minutes to relax by the pool. It’s one of the first beautiful, warm days of spring and I intend to take full advantage of it while my son is still asleep. We’ve come over to my parent’s house and I’ve put him down for his nap in the middle of their big, King sized bed. I’ve got my ear buds in, music playing, the sun is shining and life is good. 

Nine

Son

I’m awake. G-ma and G-pa’s room fun! I see the window is open to the deck. I’m going out there and see who’s outside by the pool. Maybe Mommy will take me swimming. I’m glad we came here today. I want to go swimming.

Eight

Son

I’m on the patio now. I see Momma down there. I’ll call her, “Momma! Hey Mommy!” She doesn’t hear me. I’ll yell louder, “Mama!” She’s got those ear-thingies on. Maybe I’ll just climb down and get her. 

Seven

Son

There’s this pot. I can climb on it. Oh-oh! I broke the plant. Grandma’s going to be really mad! I won’t tell her. Maybe she won’t notice till after I’m gone home. Let me climb up on the rail. Wow, it’s a long way down. I shriek in terror, “Momma, help me!” Good she hears me; she’s ripping those thingies out of her ears and getting up.

Six

Mother

“Oh My God!” What is he doing up there? I’m running as fast as I can to get to the lanai. “Jason! Get down from there! Go back inside. Go find your Grandma. She’s in the den, putting away some things.” God, help me please.

Five

Momma yelled at me and scared me. I think I lost my balance. I sure hope I don’t fall! “Ayyee, I think I’m going to fall. God help me! I’m falling and it’s a long ways down.

Four

Mother

“Holy Mary, Mother of us all. They say you watch out for all God’s children. I’m asking for your help now.” I’m running as fast as I can. I watch him slip, I see his hands flailing. I hear his scream. I’ve never been more afraid in my life. “Saint Jude, Patron Saint of Lost Causes. Please don’t let him get hurt or even die!”

Three

Son

“Jesus, you love children. Please don’t let me die! Please let Mommy catch me!  Please God! I don’t want to die!” Mommy is running towards me.

Two

Mother

I’ve only got one chance. If somebody’s got to get hurt or even die, let it be me. He’s falling and I need to catch him. “Please God! He’s my Son and I love him with all my heart!”

One

Mother

He’s falling towards me. IMPACT! The force of his body slamming into me is knocking me down. I didn’t know it was possible to hurt so much. I’m falling backward. I can’t help it. Ow! I landed on my butt. Then I hit my head. Darkness.

Epilogue

Son

Mommy saved me! She’s the bravest most wonderful Mother in the whole wide world.

Mother

I have vague memories of my own Mother finding me. I remember looking at her stupidly as she talked to me. I don’t remember them loading me and my son into an ambulance. I have vague snippets of Doctors and Nurses coming and going from my room. I have no recollection of the x-rays they took or blood draws and urine specimens. The first thing I do recall was my son, Jason, running into my room. “Momma! Oh Mommy! Are you OK? You saved me! You did! You saved me.” He tried to climb onto the bed but his Grandmother grabbed him and put onto her lap in the visitors chair. She stage-whispered to him, “We need to let your Mommy rest. She hurt her head and needs to lie quietly for a little while.”

       “What happened?” I asked. My body was aching and gave me some serious hints.

       “The worst of your injuries is that you sustained a concussion as you fell. You’ve got quite a bit of bruising along your back and on your chest where his body struck during the fall.” She told me, while holding my son, who was quickly running out of patience with being held.

       “Jason?” That was the extent of what I could manage to say.

       “He’s got a bit of an abrasion on his toes, but your body absorbed most of the impact. The Doctor checked him out as a precaution and he checks out just fine. Don’t worry about him.”

       “What I look like?” I admit I can be a bit vain sometimes.

       “You need to brush your hair. You’ve got grass all stuck up in it. But you’ve got bruising; will have more as it develops. You’ve got a huge lump on the back of your head. You ruined your outfit. Your Dad is bringing more clothes as soon as he comes back from taking your car home. He and your husband will be up shortly.

       I reached my hand up to tentatively to the back of my head. I touched it gently and the waves of pain convinced me that wasn’t a good idea.

       Mom stood up, letting Jason get to his feet before her.

       “I think we’re going to let you rest,” Mom told me. She handed me my cell phone out of the purse she brought with her. “Call me when you’re ready to go.” She turned to Jason, “I think they have an ice cream machine in the hospital cafeteria. Shall we go find out?”

       I talked to CPS and the Police before they released me. They asked me questions about the incident. I understand they questioned my husband and parents separately. They all said the same thing. I was a good mother and it was nothing short of a miracle that I was able to catch him. My parents agreed to put child proof locks on the sliding glass doors. Of course they did it right away. And from then onwards, he could take naps in his own bed in my old room.

       For the next three days, my Mom came over to help me with my busy, active boy while I rested. I am so grateful to her.

       After I was feeling better and visiting my parent’s house again, I was wondering how I could have run that distance. So, I timed myself. My best time was thirteen seconds but the average was closer to 20. I can only think of one way that I was able to do it—divine assistance. That’s the only explanation.

       Everyone tells me it was a miracle that I was able to save him that day. I just smile. I know it’s a miracle and prayer works.

December 31, 2020 20:22

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

1 comment

Laura Ash
19:07 Jan 08, 2021

Really liked the ending on this. I wasn't expecting it! I was wondering how all of that happened in 10 seconds but now I understand that it was divine assistance. Good shift in perspective. It really gave me a sense of the panic when it was changing so rapidly between mother and son. My only question is about the age of the boy. I thought he was quite young but if he was praying to Jesus, is he maybe older?

Reply

Show 0 replies

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.