2 comments

Drama Sad East Asian

Opening the black gates of the open area inside the shopping complex, Shubhroto firmly held his belongings under his arms. There was hardly anyone in the complex yet, as it was merely 7.30 am. In the shopping complex where Shubhroto and his wife Swati used to run their coffee shop, most of the showrooms and shops would normally open much later. Shubhroto having retired from the army about a decade back, still followed an active regime. Although being in their late fifties, age has taken its toll on both of them. Swati taking heavy breaths just arrived behind, wiping sweat on her forehead from her sari she said, “It’s becoming difficult to keep up with you now”. Shubhroto gave a soft smile to his bride for thirty years. She carried the homemade cloth bags in her hands containing recipes and ready items to be used for service during the day.

The morning sunlight was shimmering through the leaves in the open coffee shop area. The morning breeze is beginning to get colder and the trees are shedding their leaves, autumn has begun. The sky is showing all shades of orange. Both picked up their stuff and opened the shutters to the counters. Shubhroto started to settle the chairs along with the tables while Swati cleaned and mopped the fallen leaves from the Neem and Peepal trees. Every day it has been their routine. But with the weather changing the trees are giving off their leaves. It’s the weather that Swati feared the most, with the events from the past still pinching her heart. Shubhroto has helped her a lot in bearing this pain. While he never shared his own grief with others. It happened a few years back when they lost their only son Ravi in a road accident. He was merely 26 years old.

After cleaning the coffee shop Shubhroto arranged the material they had prepared for today’s servings. Swati had prepared some special beverages for the day. Swati always liked to prepare special delicacies and beverages for Ravi, which he loved a lot. The sense of taste and love for food had influenced him so much that it turned into his passion, and so he followed it to complete his Hotel Management with honors. On his graduation day when Shubhroto asked,” so, what’s the plan young man”, Ravi immediately replied, “I will start a coffee shop of my own, have already shortlisted some sites”. Ravi left shortly after starting the coffee shop. “He always wanted to run this coffee shop, it was his dream, we will keep his dream alive,” sobbed Swati and broke into tears. After he had departed to the other world, she barely paid attention to her hobby of cooking and creating beverages. Thinking about these shakes and juices brought back memories from Ravi’s childhood. Shubhroto lit up a small lamp in the small corner of the coffee shop where they had kept a small temple with a photograph of Ravi. A small tear dropped from Swati’s right eye. It was Ravi’s birthday today.

The last few years had been extremely hard for them, as they were only physically present there while on the inside they were drowning in the sea of sadness. But this changed a few months back when one day Swati was lost in her thoughts and she heard the word “Amma”. A word which she thought she will not be able to hear anymore in this life. It was something her heart had been longing for so long. She looked in the direction with amazement and found a young kid with cute little brown eyes glimmering at her. “Amma, do you have a chocolate cake,” asked the young boy. His innocence made her heart melt and something changed within her at that very moment. Swati sat down on her knees bringing her eyes to the level of the kid and asked, “Do you like chocolates.” The round-faced boy just smiled and nodded his head in a yes. At that moment Swati almost forgot all of her problems and that there is a couple, most certainly the kid’s parents standing a few feet behind him and smiling at the pleasantness of the moment. When looked behind Shubhroto was also smiling at them. Swati got up and gave a large cut from the chocolate brownie to the kid, who again said, “Thank you, Amma”. The couple moved ahead and introduced themselves to Shubhroto and Swati “Namaste, I am Pratik, she is my wife Avani and this naughty one here is our bundle of joy.” “We have recently moved in the city,” Pratik explained. Neil was only 6 years old and a very jolly kid. “He is missing his grandparents since we left our hometown,” clarified Avani, on Neil’s fondness for the elderly couple.

The couple became quite familiar with Shubhroto and Swati and was frequent visitors to the coffee shop. As time passed Neil became more close to the two of them. Now and then he would run directly to them and hug their legs, or sit in their laps and even ask them for stories. The kid made a subtle transformation in the couples’ hearts and raised a new ray of hope and life. Sometimes they would relate his acts to Ravi’s childhood. Swati would say “Ravi also used to forget to rub off that cream from his face after having a glass of milk”, and Shubhroto will reply “yes, and then his friends would tease him calling names like a kid with a white mustache...ha-ha”.

With the summers long over the weather has begun to change. It was already twilight, sitting with Avani, Swati said “When Ravi was there, I used to make so many beverages and dishes for him.” Further, she thought when asked whether he liked it, he would make funny faces and reply, “It’s the best in the world Amma,” and he would kiss her palms. Neil playing nearby with marbles came jumping and asked, “What’s a beverage mom.” Avani caressed her hands through his dense whorly hair and informed, “Baby beverage is nothing but juices and shakes”. Immediately he interjected, “Amma will you make a beverage for me also, it's my birthday tomorrow”. Swati said, “Why not dear, Amma will definitely make shakes for you too.” Putting his hands in the air he shouted “Yippee…I will have a special birthday, I will call all my friends tomorrow.” Swati fell into a mixed state of emotions, while she was happy for the kid, flashbacks from the past appeared in front of her eyes with all those memories.

The whole evening Swati felt puzzled, and finally, she asked Shubhroto “Do you think, it’s just a coincidence that Neil’s birthday is on the same day as Ravi.” Shubhroto kept silent for some time and all he could respond “God has his own ways.” Taking a brief pause, “that kid has brought the lights back into our lives like he is our angel.” Both started to work on tomorrow’s preparations. Swati added “Why don’t we start our new line of drinks on the day as a gift,” then in a muffled voice “or as a tribute.” Shubhroto affirmed, “That would be great”. Swati said excitedly “I have already given it a thought, from tomorrow we are starting two new drinks named Pumpkin Choco Shake and Apple Jalzeera, they used to be his favorites.” Shubhroto simply moved his head in agreement and they both got busy in the preparations.

The day arrived, Swati and Shubhroto have been working on the event arrangements straight from the first hour of the day. While Swati prepared the foods and beverages, Shubhroto decorated the entire coffee shop with lights and balloons. Avani and Pratik also joined in within hours. By evening everything was ready. Neil was exuberant and joyous as always he introduced his friends to Shubhroto and Swati “Everyone this is my Amma and Baba, and these are my friends Peter, Joy, Sanjoy, Rahul, Pinki, Surbhi, Bhaav, and Mukti.” The whole coffee shop was full of cheer and the crowd today. Shubhroto announced, “Today is a special day, so we are starting a new group of beverages.” All the guests welcomed the new menu. Children repeatedly came “can we have more of Pumpkin Chocó Shake please.”

“It’s Ravi’s birthday and he deserves a celebration,” said Shubhroto with sparkling tears in his eyes. “We had forgotten what joys and celebrations are, this little Angel has given us a reason to live” thanked Swati with her folded hands near her chin. “Someone rightly said that you understand the true and deep love only when you have known deep sorrow,” quoted Shubhroto. All the children came along with Neil, hugged, and thanked “Thank you Amma and Baba.” The elderly couple smiled looking at each other in the eye and thanked God for the love and blessings showered on them and for the Gift of Happiness.

October 16, 2020 18:47

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

2 comments

Broken Stars
04:13 Oct 22, 2020

Good story. Just need to work on grammer and vocabulary so you can write even more amazing stuff Keep up the good work👍 Best wishes

Reply

Parth Tyagi
00:31 Oct 23, 2020

Thanks for your honest suggestions

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.