0 comments

Mystery

THE WIDE WOOD


Ruby tugged on her durable boots and zipped up her favorite hoodie, a warm red garment with a kangaroo pouch in the front. She lifted her backpack, bloated with supplies, and slung it on her back. She looked around her room with forlorn eyes before departing for her little brother’s room. Her little brother, Damien, lay in the bed, brow slicked with sweat, suffering from Black Fever. She gently ran a hand over his curly black hair before pressing a tender kiss to his damp forehead. “Keep fighting Damie.”


“Ruby! Dinner is ready!” Her mother’s voice wafted from the kitchen. Ruby obeyed the call to dinner knowing this would be the last time for a warm meal for several days. Dinner was a quiet and tense affair.


She finished attaching all her gear to Arthur, their elegant black Percheron horse, giving his side a loving pat when he nickered at her. “Easy love.”


“What do you do when you meet someone on the Safe Road?” Her mother, Claudia, asked. For the fourth time.


Ruby did not answer right away, hopping off the stepping stool before facing her mother. She closed the short gap between them, gaze roving over their simple cottage. “Greet them with respect due to them.” Her heart clenched with something almost like grief when she saw the satchel clutched tightly in her mother’s lap.


“What do you do on the Safe Road at night?” 


She pushed her dark coils out of her vision when a playful wind tossed it about her head. She swallowed the feelings clogging her throat at the mosaic of broken emotions fluttering over her mother’s face. “Sleep lightly.” Gently she took the bag from her mother and slung it onto her back. “Mom, I’ll be fine.” She leaned down, giving what she hoped was a reassuring smile. 



“What do you never do? No matter the circumstances?” Her mother’s face turned serious, almost hardening in its intensity.


“Go into the forest.”


Her eyes widened when her mother yanked her into a tight embrace. She closed her eyes and let herself lean into the familiar awkward hug. Her mother broke the embrace, placing both hands on her cheeks. “Oh, my brave girl.” The tears that glistened in her mother’s dark brown eyes stabbed a cord deep and raw inside her, and she was unprepared for the ache it elicited. 


“I’m sorry,” her mother began, “I’m sorry I wasn’t more. I’m sorry I couldn’t do--.”


Ruby interrupted her. “I gotta go mom.” She drew away and strode to the massive gentle giant of a horse and climbed into the saddle using the stepping stool. She grabbed the reins and briefly stared at the town in the distance. Her thoughts turned to her mother’s words.


When her dad died it had been a huge adjustment having only one parent. Her mother, despite her disabilities always did her best, selflessly making sure they were healthy and happy. She daily got out of bed despite any pain to cook their meals, do their laundry, sell her pottery, pay their bills, and be their emotional pillar. The thought that she felt inept just because she needed help doing certain tasks almost angered her.


Ruby turned in the saddle. “If you were any more you’d be two people.” She flashed her mother a warm smile. “I love you mom.” With those words, she urged Arthur towards the town.


She directed the horse down the paved lane and through the somnolent surroundings of the town. Pleasant Pines was home to over 20000 individuals with an architectural ascetic of one of those Italian cities she’d studied in her history books. The inhabitants were often pleasant and hospitable with a penchant for impromptu parties and fine dining.


Soon, the town gave way to lush pastureland and thriving groves of fruit trees. She enjoyed the rustic scenery especially highlighted by the sun’s radiant rays. They were hindered by a gaggle of geese crossing their path, one of which was downright cranky, and a friendly sheep dog that wanted to race. All too quickly though they crossed the bridge over Turnbal River and stood before Biakile forest.


She sucked in a breath at the sight. The trees towered before her as botanical titans, their very presence testifying to their ancient status. Thankfully the Safe Road was barely a few yards beyond. Arthur nickered, no doubt feeling her anxiety. Her thoughts drifted to her little brother clinging to life at home. She grit her teeth and urged the horse forward. “Come on Artie.”


Once beyond the tree line she tightened her grip on the reins some part of her expecting an ambush or the ground to open and swallow her. But nothing happened and minutes later they were on the Safe Road. It was a marvelously well-kept road made of stone and surrounded by an eight feet tall wall. 


The journey was dare she say it, enjoyable. She of course wasn’t the only traveler, many coming from selling their wares. The other travelers were congenial for the most part. She was given both food, mainly dried meat and fresh fruit, and advice on spending a night on the Safe Road. Yes, the trip was pleasant. While the sun still shined.


She strapped the feeding bag to Arthur’s face, allowing him to eat contentedly, before divesting him of his riding gear. Once done, she settled into the dimly lit rest area, one of many alcoves branching from the main road. Her eyes roved over the trees arching overhead, their twisted branches almost like the hands of some ancient dark beast hungering for blood. Even the canopy dripped with malevolence. She shuddered against the chill still clinging to the air. A sense of wishing for home and her cozy bed stabbed through her with unexpected sharpness.


She reached into her backpack and withdrew her bright red music box, wireless headphones. Funny thing was, their music boxes were the only Old Machina allowed in Pleasant Pines and beyond. Everything else in history books: cellular phones, televisions, internet were unstudied and banned. They were told that their society’s existence depended on the technology’s absence. She donned the headphones. She pressed a button on the side and classical music from her extensive playlist flooded her ears.  A bass-heavy melody filtered through the speakers as the artist rapped his way through razor-blade sharp lyrics with smooth dexterity. Eventually she found rest.


A day and a half later, with helpful directions from several passersby, Granny’s home came into view. She’d admit it wasn’t what she expected. Instead of an ominous craggy house amidst dark clouds and roosting crows she found an idyllic pagoda roofed home with a small pool of water and vibrant budding flowers in the front yard.


She raised an eyebrow at the scene. “Well this is not like I’ve read in my books.” She hopped off the large horse, giving him a kiss on the muzzle after taking off his bridle. Arthur promptly set about snacking on the verdant grass.


She crossed the bridge overlooking the pond, stopping to admire the koi fish gaily swimming below, before striding up the steps onto the porch. She knocked on the door. There was no answer. She knocked three more times, but still no one came. With a groan of frustration, she flopped down on one of the steps preceding the porch and prepared to wait.


She waited, and waited, and waited. Eventually she started dozing, accustomed to the sound of several clucking chickens as white noise.  Her head snapped up when a haunting tune and the clip clop of hooves on the flagstone path reached her ears. A chicly attired middle-aged woman guiding a plump black sheep appeared. Hope and relief slammed into her chest and with gladness rolling through her system, she rose. She preened quickly, patting at her unkempt but luscious afro.


She jogged towards the woman. “Hello.” She waved at her. Surprise claimed the woman’s face before disappearing so quickly Ruby wondered if she’d imagined it. 


“Who the heck are you?” The dark haired woman asked, continuing her homeward path without even regarding her. Ruby fell in step beside her. Lord her mother would kill her for forgetting her manners if she had been present.


“Oh, right. I’m Ruby Turner and I’m here because my brother has Black Fever.” She had to backpedal when the woman abruptly stopped. “Doctor Grant sent me. He said--- My brother is dying Miss Granny and Doctor Grant said you were the only one that could cure him.”


Granny resumed her pace. “I can, but what’s in it for me?” Ruby’s brow knitted at the question.  


“I- I brought dried fruits, jellies made from fresh citrus, scones a-and sparkling drink.” She trailed the older woman around the house, finding a small pasture of grazing sheep and loitering chickens. She put a hand over her nose when the scent of farm animals buffeted her without mercy.


Granny let the sheep go, gently shooing him into its gated pasture with its brethren. She turned and Ruby couldn’t help but lift her chin in defiance when the older woman pinned her with a sharp gaze. “Those are all nice dearie. But I have food.” She put a hand on her hip waiting for a better offer. “What can you give me of practical value?”


Ruby tried to ignore the pair of ducks dueling in the background and eyed the woman. “I don’t have anything else.” To her surprise the woman just shrugged. Was she going to turn her away? Surely, she would not turn down a child on the brink of death.


“Then I can’t help y—Wait. I have the perfect solution.” The wicked grin that lit the woman’s red-painted lips set her hackles on edge.


A half hour later Ruby stood in a kitchen littered with stacks of dirty dishes. When was the last time the hag washed dishes? The Ice Age? She jerked when something skittered across a rather large plate. Was that a rat or small dog? Grumbling she clenched the insanely long list of chores in her hand and strode to the sink. Her life sure was grand.


By the time she finished the list of chores the sun had set, and Granny stood in the kitchen brewing her cure. Ruby flopped down on the plush red lounge chair, sagging into the cushions. God she was tired. She glared at the humming woman in the kitchen. Lazy old coot. But she supposed she couldn’t put a price, not even hard labor, on her brother’s life. Maybe Granny wasn’t so bad. She hadn’t charged her money to make the cure she so desperately needed. Maybe she could get along with the old woman.


“Go take a bath child, you’re stinking up my house.”


Ruby glowered at the woman. “Maybe it’s whatever herbs you’re concocting over there.” She threw back before hurriedly exiting the home to do as told. She bathed in the luxurious round tub behind the house, taking her time to savor the deliciously warm waters.  The only thing that disturbed her were a group of inquisitive ducks that landed next to her without even a by your leave. When she finished, clouds covered the starry sky. She donned a kimono, that she promised wasn’t there before, and entered the house.


She glanced out of the window when a clap of thunder split the air. A storm set upon the area with terrifying suddenness, bringing with it roaring winds, dangerous lightning, and torrential rains. She reached for her red hoodie. She had to get back home in time. Xander depended on her.


“You can’t go out in this weather child. It’s an Easterner. You won’t make it to Dewey Lane safely.”


“But my brother.” She regarded the vial of liquid in her hands. She had to get home. Xander only had two days left. She worried her bottom lip with anxiety. If he died… 


“If you die out there, your brother dies anyway, and your mother loses both her children.” She gave a small shrug. “Now, there’s an extra room upstairs. You can sleep there for the night and leave once the storm stops.” She turned and strode into the kitchen, wide-legged pants rustling across the floor. “How about some stew?”


Ruby dropped onto the sofa, tears pooling her eyes. She hated it, but Granny’s reasoning was sound. Sighing, she hung her head. “Yes ma’am.”


She barely rested that night, lying awake long enough to hear arguing downstairs. She crept out of the room and down the hallway, peeking around the corner. A man dressed all in black and wearing a fedora rakishly tipped to the side stood quietly before Granny as she verbally eviscerated him. On the outside he seemed calm but the air around him sent chills down her spine.


“Granny dear, I promise I am not the culprit,” he assured with an oily voice. 


Then his gaze fell on her and Ruby felt her blood turn to ice. His eyes were cold with the darkness of a predator promising to gobble her up at the drop of a hat. She jerked out of sight, heart racing. Those cold eyes haunted her dreams.


The storm raged until the next afternoon.


She finished saddling Arthur, urgency running through her veins. Tomorrow was the fifth day and she had two days down the Safe Road. Tears pricked her eyes before falling in copious rivulets. She was not going to return on time. Xander was going to die.


“Got a relative sick with Black Fever?” 


She wiped at her tears with the cuff of her hoodie before turning to the interloper. It was the man from last night. He still wore all black, but his hat was in a hand, revealing floppy blonde hair. She nodded, not trusting the steadiness of her voice. Her curiosity got the better of her. “How d—.” She inhaled. “How did you know?”


“Why Granny told me of course.” He gave a grin that was all edges. 


Her brow knitted. “Where is Granny? I need to thank her.”


He gave a smile that set her on edge. “She went out, but I promise to relay your gratitude.” He smiled again and she found that a snarling dog was not as intimidating as his smiles. He kept talking though, “it’s too bad really. You won’t make it back in time even if you ride that fine animal to death.”


Arthur whinnied in what could only be described as offense at the man’s words. Ruby hushed the horse before making the arduous climb onto his back. Her tears fell anew. If she did not make it back Xander would die. But odds were not in her favor, heck they were basically nonexistent. The realization that she had failed sickened her. She’d failed Xander and her mother.


“But there is a way,” came his silken voice. 


Ruby almost shrank back when he stopped in front of Arthur and began rubbing the nickering horse’s muzzle. “What?” She did not trust this man as far as she could toss a boulder but Xander’s life hanged in the balance. She had no choice but to listen.


“If you go this way it’ll cut off an entire day and you’ll make it on time.” He pinned her with a canny gaze. “But it’s through the forest.”


Ruby was surprised some random lightning strike thunderclap combo did not suddenly sound through the air. “Into the woods?” No one exited the woods alive or dead. Ever. Not even Paladins and Knights emerged once they entered. “You’ve been through the Woods?”


“Well it’s nothing I would broadcast but yes. All you have to do is follow the path.”


“There’s a path?” Hope almost unbearable in its intensity flooded her system. There was a path through the forest! She could make it in time.


“Yes, I’ll show you.” He disappeared behind the house and reappeared with a bay horse. “Follow me.”


“Oh, thank you so much Mister.” She followed him when he started his horse off at a canter.


“No problem. And it’s Wolfe, B.B. Wolfe.” The toothy smile he threw her almost gave her pause but she could not falter.


“B. B.? That’s a strange name.” She said over the sound of the horses’ hooves. He only gave a good-natured laugh.


She stared up at the forest stretching before her. Now that she stood before it, the forest looked all forms of foreboding. Even in the sunlight the trees reminded her of ominous entities instead of botanical giants. The only reason she did not turn tail was Xander needed the cure and the forest road was visible from the tree line.


“There you are child. The way to save your brother’s life. And don’t worry I need no payment. Just save your brother. Good luck.” With those last well-wishes, he turned his horse and galloped away.


Ruby watched him briefly before returning her attention to the towering trees. Her stomach shuddered with fear. Every warning her parents and teachers had ever given her about the forest echoed through her skull on repeat, but she ignored them. ‘Everything in our world could be ruined if you go into Biakile.’


She clenched the reins. She could ruin society and possibly be lost forever if she entered the ancient forest. But Xander needed this cure. Besides, she didn’t know everyone in the three provinces. Her family was her world and she only needed to save them. With resolve pumping through her veins she dug her heels into Arthur’s side. The horse whinnied but obeyed, striding forward. She worried her lip as he trotted, looking back only when the light behind diminished. Well, there was no going back.


“I’m coming Xander.”


END


November 23, 2019 02:33

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.