Mind Trip

Written in response to: Write a story titled ‘The Locked Door.’... view prompt

0 comments

Horror Sad Speculative

The white walls of Dr. Smitty’s office glared back at me, dark wooden shelves lined with textbooks lined the walls.  One lone black desk sat in the middle of the room, the back of a maroon office chair’s back to me.  Rain dripped off of my soaking wet trench coat into her pristine oak floors.  My long brown wavy hair clung tightly to my face, the coldness of the wet locks biting at my cheek.

“Come sit.” She drawled, spinning around to face me. “You must be Selena Lunos, my new patient.”  She motioned towards a maroon fainting couch, with mismatched pillows.  A warm smile danced across her face, perfect white teeth blinding me.  A distrustful look darkened my copper eyes, my hand still resting on the golden knob.  

“This was a mistake.” I stammered, turning to walk back out.  Her white coat ruffled as her clammy hand tossed me to the worn fainting couch.  The wet fabric squealed awkwardly beneath me.  Perfect blonde hair fell around her twinkling blue eyes, a creepy smile still plastered on her face.  Alarm widened my eyes, blood speckled her pristine white blouse.  

“My methods may be unique and a bit frightening, but I will guide you to freedom of your mind.” She explained with fake happiness. “You are all just subjects to me.  For you I have a mental experiment for you.”  A lump formed in my throat, a needle full of thick purple liquid pierced my neck.  Cold sweat formed on my brow, my muscles throbbing angrily.  My lips parted to speak, but nothing came out.  The room spun around me, darkness enveloping me.  

It was black, all black.  Only shelves with books piled on them messily, fright paralyzing me.  My mind raced anxiously trying to figure out where I was.  My heart nearly stopped beating when her cold voice rang through my head, a migraine forming.  

“Welcome to your head.” She mused, fury boiling in my veins. “You see, everyone has a locked door.  The test is simple, find it and open it.  Have fun?”  Confusion and disbelief twisted my face, pondering what she meant by a locked door.  A red door appeared in front of me, black smoke curling underneath like fingers.  The door swung open, a dimly lit hallway extending as far as my eyes could see.  Taking a deep breath, the first step landed me firmly on the dingy red carpet.  Stained striped green walls touched my shoulders, squeezing me tightly.  Different colored doors were on either side of me, all sitting just barely ajar.  Pressure built on my shoulder, forcing me into a green door, the door slamming shut behind me.  Tears welled up in my eyes, noting the exact copy of my mother’s  room.  It was so perfect that they even got the juice stain on the dusty tan carpet.  Her large cherry wood four post bed took up all of the room, dark red velvet curtains hiding something.  Fright and anxiety plagued me, my hands shaking.  The metal rings squealed, the velvet fighting with me to open.  

“Darling!” A catatonic version of my mother called out, her bony fingers wrapping around my wrist. “Come sit with mommy.”  Shaking my head, I stumbled backwards.  My boots scrambled, seeking firm ground.  Failing to find it, my body crashed to the carpet.  Pain shot through me, the bed creaking.  Tears flooded from my eyes, her bony body stepping out of bed.  Gray matted hair stuck to her head, yellowed gray eyes staring into mine. The floor screamed with each step until her gaunt face was inches from mine.  Hot sick whiskey breath sickened my poor stomach, my breakfast threatening to come up.  Damn it!  A heavy metal lamp sat by my side, shouting for me to use it.  Her bony fingers grabbed the side of my face, cold sweat forming on my brow.  My hand raised the lamp to her face, but stopped.  The deathly look faded to her once full face, a beautiful smile now greeting me.  Plump pink skin felt soft against my cheeks.  Fright widened my eyes, the heavenly image melting back to the nightmare.  Grunting, a sharp thud echoed around me as the metal lamp slammed into her skull.  Cracks rang out around me, her body collapsing next to me.  A blue door appeared in front of  me, offering me an escape out.   

“Come here my little frog.” My dad called out sweetly. “Didn’t I tell you not to bother your mother?  She is sleeping off of one of her juice binges.”  Nodding, I understood what he meant.  My whole life she seemed to love the bottle more than me.  He felt warm in his faded overalls, and ripped red shirt underneath it.  The evening sun glowed golden on the corn field in front of us, cows mooed in the background.  

“I miss you dad!” I wept, falling into his arms. “I wish you were still here.”  He cocked his brow oddly, running his hand through his wild brown hair.  His hand lifted up my chin, his warm copper eyes looking into mine.  

“What are you talking about?” He queried joyfully. “I will always-”   Screams poured from my lips, the scene melting into a field of dirt and decaying barn.  He wasn’t there.  Falling to my knees, my fist pounded against the ground.  Salty tears fell onto the rotten ground, a skeleton key popping into my hand.  A red door faded in, a black padlock swinging ominously in the chilly wind.  Wiping my tears, my legs shook as I stood to my feet.  Dust now covering my red lace dress that hugged my hourglass figure.  There it was, the locked door.  Trembling, the key slid into the lock.  A click rang in my ears, the long falling in slow motion to the ground.  The door flew open sucking me in. 

“Damn it!” I cursed, flopping face first into my mother’s carpet.  Frantically my hands searched for a weapon.  She stood over my father’s body with a triumphant grin.  Blood speckled her white nightgown, her gray hair all wild.  Horror paralyzed me, fresh tears welling up in my eyes.   A silver blade glinted in the yellow light of the room, my father’s hand grabbing mine.  He mouthed the words run, blood pooling underneath.  Shaking my head no, he smiled one last time.  Her head snapped to me, an evil giggle tumbling from her lips.  Jumping to my feet, I wiggled the blasted golden door handle.  Shit it was locked.  This is just in my head, I repeated numbly to myself. 

“It is not what it looks like.” She slurred, stumbling towards me. “He fell on my knife.  Help me get him out of here.”  Stepping back, pain shot through my body.  Pieces of glass slated  painfully into my now bare feet.  Wanting to scream, my quivering hand reached for a big piece.  The sharp edge cut into my palm, blood dripping onto my pale feet.  My eyes shut closed tightly, waiting for her blade to slam into my heart.  A heavy silence hung around me, courage allowing me to open my eyes.  My breakfast came back up, the piece of glass stuck out of the side of her neck.  Gurgling noises bubbled in her mouth, her eyes losing all of their life. 

My muscles ached, my body jerking awake.  The clock read three o’ clock, grogginess disabling my vision.  Patting myself,  soft silk felt soft against my skin.  The chair at the desk spun around, Dr. Smitty looked very impressed.  

“You did it my dear.” She congratulated me, sauntering over to me. “You can go.  Don’t tell anyone about me.”  She winked, shoving me out the door.  Hot sunshine blinded me, an empty parking lot melting in the heat.  Turning around, my jaw dropped to the ground.  The building was gone.  Looking down, my trench coat was still on me, my hair was still ratty from the rain.  Not knowing what to do, I walked to the bus stop.  The bus hummed and clanked all the way home.  Jumping off, my boots crashed against the cracked sidewalk. 

The moment I was in my apartment, relief washed over me.  However that was soon short lived, a picture of my grandmother sat on my round kitchen table. Disbelief shook me, the doctor was her.  A soft smile curled on my lips while tears flowed down my eyes.   A long time ago, I blacked out the memory of my parents’ murder.  She raised me until her death thirteen years ago.  Holding her picture to my heart, my lips whispered thank you.    

January 25, 2022 21:58

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.