Commanders Of Their Father's And Their Husband's Houses

Written in response to: Write a story in which a miracle happens — or everyone thinks it did.... view prompt

2 comments

Black Fiction Inspirational

They had been married for about four and half years without an issue. It has not been easy for both. I said for both because the man is enlightened enough to realized that the problem is from him. Outside that knowledge, ha!, It would have been the usual African utterances in such situation from the never do wrong male folks, their mothers and sisters. 

         “ I can’t marry my fellow man and live in the same house with him. When I came to your father’s house to ask for your hands in marriage, I thought you are a woman. I never for once envisaged that it was my fellow man that I am marrying. No, it won’t work. You must return to where you came from”

That is African way of settling things, divorcing. No court. Even though customary courts are there since white man era but they never for once handled any marriage issues. No, it is sacred thing and when dirty, you don’t wash it in public. Customary courts are there for land disputes only. 

I have been talking about Mazi Ugbe. From his demeanor, he knew that his wife was 100 percent healthy, his close friends seems to know that too. So, after almost five years of marriage without an issue, it was the wife hat is worrying not him. 

His ignorant mother just like others of her age had started gossiping around and receiving sympathies on how her son had married his fellow man. She never failed to receive advise on how to free herself and son from the curse they are in and marry another woman that would hatch babies like chicken. 

Mazi Ugbe's sisters were not left out from trying to ensure their father’s lineage didn’t come to an end due to the impotent woman. So all three of them converged regularly to make their brother’s wife life unbearable.

Judging from the tactics employed by the brother’s wife against her tormentors almost a year now, she seems to know that it is her husband that needs helps. She suddenly start challenging her tormentors threatening to smash living and nonliving things, yet her husband’s kept mute each time shouting match ensured. Their brother’s attitude to the woman madness as they refers to it made the sisters and their mother to conclude that their brother is totally under the influence of diabolism. 

The wife have tied his mouth, eye and spirit in spiritual realm that is reason he kept mute like a moron anytime the issue of remarriage is raised whether in her presence or behind her. 

    “doesn’t he want babies like his mates?”

That his behaviors gingered them even more. They started taking actions without consulting their brother. One day, they held a family meeting and concluded that the village leaders should be contacted on the issue.

        “ this family is being mocked, we must not allowed it to continue” they concluded.

The woman their only brother married is not only a man but a witch too. They came out with what they believed would be the last straw on the woman back. They claimed that they are being attacked spiritually in their husband's houses. They had gone to find out who is attacking them without any provocation only to be told it was their brother’s wife.  

        “ the woman must go back to her father's house, our brother said that he is no longer interested” 

That was what they tabled before the village elders when they gathered to hear why they were hurriedly summoned. 

Their father was asked by the elders whether he was among the party that went to find out who the witchcraft attacker is.

 “ I heard of this issue yesterday morning for the first time, I am as confused as you”

“ You mean that your daughter’s went to the witchdoctor to find out who is attacking them with their mother without your knowledge?”

“ That is exactly what I just said. When I asked them when the attack started, when they visited the witchdoctor and which witchdoctor, I was waved aside as being too old to comprehend. I am lost like all of you”

“What about your son Mazi Ugbe, was he among those that visited this witchdoctor”

“I doubt that. Did you see him here? – he wasn’t even in the family meeting. He came back yesterday from his city base but refused to sit in the meeting. I was told that he was under spiritual lock and key. What would i do in a situation of this nature, I am getting weak each day. Age is no longer on my side. I really don’t know again how to handle this situation anymore. When I asked intelligent questions in the meeting yesterday, I was put on half meal that afternoon to this morning. I am forced to sit here or die of hunger afterwards”

“ What! You mean that your wife and her daughters are punishing you for managing and asking questions in your own house? – this is abomination of highest order, this is madness. Unheard of in this land. We can’t continue this hearing until due apology is rendered”

The meeting direction changed course. Accusers suddenly became the accused. After about twenty minutes of trying to debunk what they claimed was false allegations from their father, earning more anger and bitter admonitions from the elders for calling their father a liar before them. The elders postponed the hearing for two weeks and demanded they render apologies first orally to their father there and came in two weeks with the written one to apologies to the whole village for having temerity to call an elder like them a liar in their presence. 

 They ordered their father after accepting his wife and daughter’s apology to stand up. 

    “ we want you all to take a look at your father. We knew how big he was before getting married to your mother and given birth to three of you. Now look at him, he is like a one. No. We want him within that two weeks to return to shape two he was before given birth to you and marrying your mother. He must add weight by force within that two weeks. If not, don’t even bother calling us, we will call you”

That was the elders conclusion before leaving the compound. After eyeing their father in annoyance without opening their mouth for fear of being Overheard, they settled down and drafted a food timetable for their father and held another mini meeting on how to contribute money for his feedings and routine for the cooking. 

The man spent that two weeks eating and drinking palm wine. Within a week, he had added in weight and met the elders requirements. The illiterate daughters were busy seeking for who would draft the written apology for them. 

A week into the eating and drinking, before the ultimatum date, Mazi Ugbe and his wife entered the compound one morning. Behind them was a priest and his ten entourage. 

The whole family was surprised on what was happening. Mazi Ugbe didn’t tell them anything. They were all moping at the Intruders. Prayers started and they joined. After about one and half hours, the priest asked mazi Ugbe to open the bag of salt he bought and spread it all over the nook and crannies of the compound.

Few days before the ultimatum date, mazi Ugbe’s wife was confirmed pregnant. Enemies turned into allies. Village elders was summoned before the due date, apologies was extended not only to the father and elders but to mazi’s wife as well. The family song turned into:

    “ You are Alpha and Omega, you’re miracle working God”

June 25, 2022 06:28

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

2 comments

Graham Kinross
06:30 Jul 25, 2022

Family should stay out of relationships. People meddling just cause trouble. Unless someone asks for help they should be allowed to deal with their own problems. Family meddling makes problems from nothing. This is too accurate.

Reply

Philip Ebuluofor
15:38 Jul 26, 2022

Culture here. Not written any where but people like to dictate to others. If you as newly married lady allow them, it continues.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.