A Bad Hair Day that Won

Submitted into Contest #33 in response to: Write a story set in a salon or barbershop.... view prompt

0 comments

General

        A Bad Hair day that Won

“Mom, will you come help me?” Carla shouted from the bathroom sounding discouraged.

“What is it this time? First you want me to get you a towel, then toilet tissue, then a housecoat. What is it now?”

“I can’t get this brush out of my hair.”

When her mother got to the bathroom Carla had a brush tangled all up in her hair so bad she didn’t know what she was going to do.

“What on earth have you done? This is a mess,” her mother told her while pulling on the brush to get it out. How do you get a brush so tangled everytime your hair is wet?”

“Ouch! That hurts,” Carla cried as her mother kept pulling and pulling on the brush.

“This is what you call a bad hair day. I will have to cut it out,” Mother told her.

“No, you’re not cutting my hair. Are you crazy?” Carla complaimed.

“Why do you do this every time you shower?”

“It’s not my fault Mom.”

“It is because you won’t get it cut,” Mother told her. “It’s just too long to get a brush through this mess.” Mother added.

“Mom I have beautiful long cold black hair, everyone loves it and I don’t want to cut it.”

“Then tell me how on earth do we get this stubborn brush out?” Mother asked, sounding aggravated. 

Just then when her mother gave it a yank out it came with the biggest ball of hair she had ever seen. “Wow this is awful. I’d sooner cut my hair then pull it out. It’s more painful.” Carla said.

“What did you do mom? Look at this mess,” Carla felt discouraged. “I don’t want bald spots.”

“I did my best, you couldn’t go anywhere with a brush stuck in your hair.”

“No, but I don’t want to go anywhere with bald spots either. What time is it?” Carla asked.

“It’s 7:00 o'clock. Don’t you have a date tonight?” Mother asked.

“Yes,” Carla shouted. “What am I going to do with this mess?”

“Just pin it up under some hair pins and it will be alright,” Mother told her.

Just then a knock came at the door.

“Mom that’s my date. I know it is.”

Carla figed with her hair a bit more and her mother said, “There’s just a few spears but that's about the style today.”

“Mother you have the weirdest way of thinking. What will I do? I don’t want anyone to see me this way.”

“Wear a hat,” Mother told her.

“A hat? A hat will not match what I am wearing and no one else at the ball will be wearing a hat.”

“How do you know. Then how do you know that someone else hasn't had a bad hair day?” Mother smiled.

“Mom, I hardly doubt that,” Carla said, feeling upset.

When Carla opened the door she couldn’t get over what she  was looking at. “Do you have a bad hair day too. What happened to your hair?”

When her boyfriend told her what happened she could hardly hold back from laughing.

He told her he was out in the field and fell asleep in the grass and when he awoke a goat was eating on his hair and left bald spots.

Carla was laughing so hard she couldn’t stop until her boyfriend said, “Not only I have a bad hair day but you do too. What happened?”

“Never mind I don’t want to talk about it. Let’s go.”

When they got to the place where the ball was taking place they looked at one another.  

“Are we going in?” Carla asked, wondering what her boyfriend was going to say.

“Isn’t that what we came for?” her boyfriend said to her.

“Yes, but look at us. We both are having a bad hair day. People will just make fun of us,” Carla added.

They sat a while thinking what they should do.

In the meantime Carla asked, “Do you want to know how I got a bad hair day?”

“Yeah, tell me.” 

“I took a shower and when I was trying to fix my hair my brush got all tangled up in my hair and I couldn’t get it out. So, I got my mother to help me and when she did she pulled a big ball of hair out with it.” Carla showed him the size it was with her hands.

“Oh, dear. It must have hurt,” her boyfriend told her.

“It hurt me more to lose my hair than it did pulling it out,” Carla said. “She’s always wanted me to cut it and I don’t want to.”

“Do you think that maybe why she pulled out so much she wanted your hair cut?” her boyfriend asked.

“You never know.  Sometimes I don’t know what to think of my mom’s actions.”

“Well, what do you think? Are we going in? There can’t be any better looking people in there.” Her boyfriend told her.

“You’re right.” Carla started opening her door and stepped out. Her boyfriend came around the car and took her hand. “I don’t care how you look I still love you.”

When they got inside the ballroom they could not believe their eyes. Carla looked around in wonder. “What is this?”

“Did you not know what today is?” asked a friend.

“No.” Carla and her boyfriend said in unison.  

“This is the day we celebrate a bad hair day. You guys look great.”

Carla was so surprised she looked at her boyfriend with a grin. “Baby I forgot this ball was for the worst hairdos of the year.”

Everyone started shouting. “It’s time to vote for the worst hairdo of all.”

They started putting their votes in a dish. Everyone put in who they thought was the best bad hair day of the year.

When the name was drawn everyone shouted. “The winner is Carla Hender.” 

Carla was so excited she turned and kissed her boyfriend while everyone clapped. 

Then someone came up to her and  passed her a 100.00 dollar bill.

“Thank you everyone,” Carla shouted.

Carla’s mother was so happy for her they hugged each other and Carla apologized for getting so angry at her. 



March 15, 2020 20:26

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.