LOH: Part 2 - Sky's P.O.V

Written in response to: Write a story in which a miracle happens — or everyone thinks it did.... view prompt

8 comments

Fantasy Fiction

Ashani, Avel - Me

Sky - Stellaluna

Celeste - Celeste

Mirrin, Nyssa, Kaytlin - Also Me

Cal - aLsO mE

*******

Sky narrowed her eyes against the bright sunlight reflecting off of the golden bows that always seemed to blind her in the training room. Her mother, Queen Zelda, had always forced her to train for her powers, even though she’d gone through the same thing when she was a kid. She knew it wouldn’t develop until Sky found her trigger, and Zelda wanted it to happen as soon as possible.

Sky sighed. “We’ll get through this session, too, right, Terrako?”

The little guardian beeped. Sky laughed at his antics as he jumped up and down in front of her, then skidded along the floor to look out the window.

“I’ll take that as a yes,” she said.

Just then, a large crash came from Hyrule Field. Terrako beeped in his alarm tone, and Sky ran to the balcony outside the room to look.

“Princess!” one of the captains of the Hyrulean army ran up to Sky, breathing hard. Sky jumped a little. She was just going to call for Zelda, but this would work, too.

“I know, I’ll do what I can,” she murmured, pushing past him.

“But do you think—”

“I’ll try,” Sky called, running towards the ruckus near the castle gates.

Her first battle, and Sky would surely be able to awaken her sealing power. She just had to. Her mother could, so why couldn’t she?

All that training, all those years, had to pay off. It just had to.

Sky only got a second to breathe in the fresh air of the outdoors she lived for before a monster started to attack her. She ran through hordes and camps of monsters, searching for her mother and Link. They would probably be here.

But the first person Sky saw wasn’t a Hylian. It was a Gerudo girl, around Sky’s age, with a glowing golden stone and a wicked-looking scimitar. With each strike towards the enemy, she seemed to be charged with electricity.

Next to her were two young Rito warriors, about the same age as the girl. They fought in sync, using updrafts, gales, and powerful arrows.

Sky didn’t think they needed help, but Terrako ran towards them with his weapons pulled out. Sky sighed and followed.

“Ungh!” the girl shouted, swiping at a Lynel, then electrocuting a Moblin to death. The Rito girl helped her, and they smiled at each other for a moment before running at the Lynel again.

What are they doing all the way out here? Sky wondered. But before she could come to any crazy conclusions, she saw the Lynel turning towards Terrako, who was helping the girls. The guardian beeped in terror as it raised it’s swords to stomp out the tiny enemy.

“No!” Sky screamed, running at the Lynel. It stopped to look at her in surprise before light erupted from her fingertips, almost like a Guardian laser. 

The Rito girl stopped, breathing heavily. The Gerudo girl’s eyes widened as she sheathed her weapon and looked around warily for more monsters. 

“...Zelda?” the Rito boy whispered.

“Sky. I’m Princess Sky,” Sky corrected. But she did feel like her mother– like how she described how it felt to her, unlocking her power. How it felt to save Link-or in Sky's case, maybe her soon-to-be friends? Maybe it was the miracle that would save Hyrule, like her mother. That thought made Sky feel good. That made her feel important. 

“Sky! We’ve been looking for you. Is it true that your mother was taken by Avel? And she’s going to die soon? Do you have the triforce of wisdom yet, since you unlocked the sealing power?” the Rito girl pressed.

“What?” Sky almost fell over at the horde of questions, strong as malice.

The Rito girl sighed. “Let me start over, sorry. I’m Nyssa. The other girl over there is Ashani-”

“Ash!” Ashani growled. “But don’t you dare ever call me that.”

“We’ll see,” Sky shot back. She didn’t like this girl’s sassiness. It would probably soon get on her nerves, and everyone had learned the hard way not to ever get on Sky’s nerves.

“And that’s Mirrin, my triplet brother. I have another sibling, yet we’ve been looking for her since she disappeared,” Nyssa finished.

Sky’s heart skipped a beat. Mirrin was cute. He had feathers as gray-blue and white as a wolf’s pelt. And wolves were Sky’s favorite animal. If that wasn’t an omen, Sky didn’t know what was.

“Okay, stop staring at Mirrin,” Ash glared at Sky, shoving Mirrin aside. “You wanted an explanation? Well, here ya go. It all began on a night with a blood moon…”

“I doubt this rain will ever let up…” Nyssa gazed up at the sky. Sky was squished between Mirrin and Ash, who kept pushing her over. 

“Well, I’m going outside. I can’t be here with her,” Sky said, glaring at Ash. Ash scowled at her as she stormed out.

Sky glanced at her dripping, glowing hand and sighed. Now that she had power, she also had responsibility. She had to protect Hyrule. She couldn’t fail.

Sky heard a sharp whine, and looked into the trees. Terrako beeped from the safety of the cave and started forward.

“Stay, Terrako,” Sky whispered as sharply as she could, without being too loud. She didn’t want to scare the animal away, whatever it was, but she couldn’t have Terrako die. Terrako, being powered by the tech lab’s blue flame, couldn’t be touched by water, or else they’d have to take him back to Purah to get him fixed.

Terrako stopped in his tracks and beeped again quietly as Sky creeped forward, towards the trees. She saw a flash of gray and white fur. She froze. That was surely a wolf.

The wolf stopped when it heard Sky step into a puddle. It looked towards her with piercing amber eyes before running off into the forest again. 

Sky stumbled backwards. She could have sworn the wolf was trying to say something…trying to tell her something important. Possibly something about her power. Or maybe Zelda. Sky didn't quite realize how much she’d missed her mother while waiting out the monsters and rain. Her heart ached for the comfort of home.

“Hey, Sky! Come back inside! Ash found something useful!” Nyssa yelled from the cave. Sky took a deep breath and put on her brave face. She couldn’t show weakness to any of them, especially Ash. Sky still didn't trust her. She gave off the aura that bad things had happened to her and bad things always would.

“What is it?” Sky shouted back, running towards the cave.

“Come on, hurry up!” Ash shouted. Sky ran faster.

“Well?” she asked, out of breath.

“Terrako just lit up several locations on my map!” Mirrin exclaimed.

“What?”

“Blue in Zora’s Domain, red in Goron City, light green with the dark green…which is in Hyrule Castle,” Mirrin breathed. “My guess is that it's for the remaining Champion descendants.”

“Well, then, what are we waiting for?” Ash stood up defiantly. “Let’s go get them!” 

“So, you say that….I need to come with you?” the Zora-Rito asked shyly, clutching her mother’s trident. “My kingdom needs me more, though.”

“Celeste, please,” Sky begged. 

“We need you, too,” Nyssa said.

Mirrin nodded.

Celeste sighed. “You’re never going to stop with this, are you? Well, then, I’m going to bed.  I’ll think about it tonight. My mother can tell you where to stay until I have my final answer.”

Sky sighed. “Thank you so much, Celeste.”

Celeste nodded. “The Zora are always open to visitors.”

Once everyone else had entered the room, Mirrin pulled Sky aside. “Sky…can I talk to you?”

Sky shrugged. “I guess.”

Mirrin led Sky to another, more quiet place in the domain. Then, he took a deep breath, and the words spilled out of him.

“Well, I thought you were Zelda at first, you were so amazing. You totally stopped the whole battle. And I’m impressed by that. I think…I think that you’re a great fighter, and that, like your mother, like Zelda, you’re totally up to protecting Hyrule. And that your power is wonderful. And that you can protect us. And that-”

“Mirrin! Stop,” I said, teary-eyed.

“No! I just–just wanted to ask you if you wanted to, like, get to know each other, like just a little bit more? Please?” Mirrin begged.

“I-um-well-sure, I–sure!” I stammered.

“Great!” Mirrin grinned. “Well, let’s get back to the others, then. We need some sleep if we’re going to—”

“Monsters!!! Near the domain! And we’re pretty sure there are Guardians with them!” a Zora soldier exclaimed, panting after his long run from the lookout. “Get Lady Celeste! Or Lady Mipha! Please, someone!”

“Celeste!” Mirrin yelled, running towards the Lady's room. Sky heard a loud crash and a door slam open. Celeste ran towards them with her mother’s trident.

“Monsters, I know,” Celeste breathed. “Mirrin told me. Don’t wake Mother, I’ll handle this on my own.”

“With us!” Sky said.

“Yeah. Mirrin, can you defend our outpost? Kitan, go with him and take all of your unit.”

Mirrin nodded and flew after Kitan, the soldier. Celeste took Sky by the hand. “Come on, we need that awesome power of yours.”

Celeste fought flawlessly, and Sky managed to follow her lead as she did so. They eventually broke down the hordes, but then…

“Electric Guardian!” a soldier yelped. Celeste’s eyes widened, and she flew up above the trees. 

“Why is that such a big deal?” Sky asked.

“Us Zora-and even me-are vulnerable to electricity. We can die if we’re hit by it,” Celeste muttered, landing again. “We could die even if we get too close.”

“So then let me handle the Guardian,” Sky said, starting towards the glowing green light.

“Sky, wait!” Celeste called. “Let me heal some of your wounds.”

Sky nodded and turned back. Celeste clutched a blue stone with little waves, like ripples on the surface of a pool. It glowed with dark blue light, and a bubble of water expanded around Sky. All her wounds started to heal.

“Wow,” Sky breathed. “That’s—“

“Like Ashani’s, I know,” Celeste finished. 

“But that means—you’re one of us!”

“One of who?”

“Me, Ashani, Nyssa, Mirrin…”

“SKY!!”

Uh oh.

“Sky, Sky, Sky, someone’s following me, and when I asked him about it, he said he was coming to KILL you! Obviously I had to keep you safe, sooo…”

“Cal…”

“Who’s this?” Celeste pushed past Sky to stand in front of the boy.

“Caleron. He’s…the son of Link.”

“Cal!” Cal protested. “And I’m assuming you are Celeste?”

“Lady Celeste of the Zora.” Celeste said, dipping her head. “Did you happen to see a Rito girl named Kaytlin anywhere?”

“K-K-K-K-Kaytlin?” Cal stammered, his eyes wide. “U-uh, n-n-no?”

“Cal…” Sky murmured dangerously, quietly. Her hand glowed with power- the kind that would not only hurt evil, but any threat.

“Oh, Kaytlin? Uh, maybe? Who’s asking?” Cal said, looking down at the dirt.

“A frie-”

“LOOK OUT!! Get down!

Sky collided with Celeste, who was pushed over by a flurry of white and blue feathers. A green-yellow light flew overhead. 

Breathing hard, Sky lifted her hand above Celeste’s head to end whatever was threatening her and the others. The field erupted in golden light, and she could see the faintness of the yellow light fading away from her vision. 

Sky stood up and surveyed the situation. Across the battlefield, two soldiers were unconscious, but none dead. There were many injured. Cal was also unconscious, but Celeste was fine. Then, her eyes landed upon the majestic figure that had saved the three of them from certain death. 

Sky did a double-take. How the heck did Revali get here?

Wait-those eyes. Not Revali, but…

She was a Rito girl who looked like the Champion named Revali-most likely his daughter. She had eyes that were the same blue as Nyssa’s. She also had a hint of yellow on the tips of her wings, and braided black hair. 

“Hrmmm…” She surveyed the group. “How the heck did Cal get himself unconscious again?

“I-uh-well-Sky,” Sky finally managed to force out. She knew those eyes, they looked so much like Nyssa’s. Mirrin also had similar ones, but they were more teal-green then the deep blue of oceans.

“Sky? The sky fell on him?” the girl narrowed her eyes.

“No, no, um. An…Electric Guardian, I think? I’m Sky. That’s my name. Princess Sky.”

“Weird name. Like you’ll ever live up to my potential,” the girl scoffed. “And I’m assuming you’re Lady Celeste?”

“Yes. And you?” Celeste asked, respectful yet as dangerous as always.

“Kaytlin. Just Kaytlin. No fancy titles, unlike you two. Where should I put this nuisance?” Kaytlin gestured to Cal.

“Take him back with us,” Celeste offered. “Apparently you two are both part of some kind of destiny we all have.”

“Destiny?” Cal murmured, finally awakening. “I don’t like prophecies.”

Not a prophecy.

Also not just a destiny.

A friendship. A group.

A home.

“Sky! Wake up, Sky!” Celeste waved a hand in front of my face.

“I’m here!” Sky jolted from her thoughts. “Yep, totally paying attention!”

“Good,” Kaytlin said, nodding, but still suspicious. “Now, let’s go. I want to go see my brother and sister again.”

*******

“Kaytlin!” Nyssa yelled, dropping Terrako and making Mirrin jolt awake from his sleeping position on her arm.

“Kaytlin?” Mirrin murmured, rubbing his eyes drowsily.

“She’s here, Mirrin!” Nyssa flew fast circles around her sister, finally landing and pulling the girl into a fierce hug. “I finally found you!”

The door banged open. Everyone froze. 

A chill ran down Sky’s spine and she slowly turned around to face Avel.

“I’ve finally found you.” Avel hissed, slowly grinning. “The Children of the Champions.”

*******

GET READY FOR SOME HEARTBREAK :)))))

June 30, 2022 23:31

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

8 comments

WOOOOO THAT WAS AMAZING >:D you perfectly handled my character lolol and all the other characters were AMAZING JWDSODDI im excited for the next part hhhh btw thank you for the shoutout in your bio! you're so sweet :D

Reply

Vera Vuscoe
18:54 Jul 02, 2022

thank you!!!!! :))))) oh good lol and thank you :D third part's gonna be hard tho, so maybe next week? I'll see if I can work it into one of this week's prompts, but i had to write a crazy story to get some energy out of me :))) your welcome, you totally deserved it. :)

Reply

Vera Vuscoe
19:11 Jul 02, 2022

OH, yeah, also. I needed to tell someone about this :D You remember how I said I did swim? Well, I made it into the championships for my swim group!!! My time for the 50 butterfly JUST was fast enough!!! :DDDDDDD

Reply

ofc!!!! yeah lolol and np!! oh no take all the time you need :D i never get a story out so you're good xDDD awww ❤️ that's amazing! you def deserved that hehe

Reply

Vera Vuscoe
14:53 Jul 03, 2022

:) :) :) I actually just started to we'll see lol tysm!!!!!! idk tho i like never go to practice lol

Reply

xDD ya we will!! np!! LMAO SAME

Reply

Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.