And Away We Go

Submitted into Contest #74 in response to: Write a story in the form of a top-ten list.... view prompt

0 comments

Fantasy Fiction Inspirational

The ache for home lives in all of us, the safe place where we can go as we are and not be questioned” – Maya Angelou

My backpack is ready, and I have my thermos of tea (it’s magic and will refill itself continuously). Come along with me as I journey to the ten places I would most like to see. We will ride by train wherever possible to each of the locations. Money is not an issue since I hit the jackpot in the national lottery. We will taste food, see sights, take photographs, and leave footprints. Ready?

Our first stop is Machu Picchu (7,000 feet above sea level) which we reach by luxury pullman train. Lunch and dinner is included. I chose the lamb cannelloni with spring greens and maras beef for dinner. Afternoon tea is in Machu Picchu – how exciting! Fresh scones with clotted cream and raspberry jam. While enjoying the tea we are serenaded by native drummers and pan flute players – the music lifts our spirits. Gratuities are not included but I have that covered. Truly, an experience of a lifetime.

After petting the Alpacas and looking in their eyes, we leave Peru and head to Japan. First stop is Ito Yokado. There are several of these, like Target in the United States. The rooftop is where we are headed. Pinball games, soft serve ice cream, and chicken teriyaki on a stick. The bathtub in our guest house is incredible. We sit and water comes up to our necks. I relish bath time since I love the water. One of the neat things about Tokyo is that everyone rides their bicycles. There is no room for cars since there are so many people (over 8 million), so we don’t even need a driver’s license to get around the city. We’ll have some delicious soba (buckwheat noodles) and vegetables in broth for supper but mustn’t forget to slurp – it is discourteous otherwise. While here we will observe a traditional Japanese tea ceremony and maybe buy a kimono or two.

Japan was terrific but now let’s head to Virginia Beach where we can look at the waves while dining in style. I can hear Music Box Dancer coming through the speakers – music to soothe the soul for sure. We can hear the waves when we open the door to the balcony from our hotel room. We might take a side trip up to Chincoteague and see the nearby Assateague island – home to a special breed of horses. Now we’ll board a train and head down to Fort Morgan, Alabama in the United States. One of the grocery stores has all manner of cakes and other delicious desserts that they sell by the slice or whole; and the same chain has Mediterranean salad bar with vine leaves, olives, fresh mozzarella, and lots more. Even if we are cooking in the guest house, we can accent it with these goodies. If the flies are bad, we can douse ourselves with lotion like the locals use. Fish baskets are made from daily caught fish and is served with lemon. Most of the time it is grouper and is delicious. We can have tea or coffee on the balcony of a morning while chatting to the little gecko who visits and catch the sunset over the ocean. I am reminded of the song “Southern Nights”. The air smells so fresh and clean here, it is very refreshing.

We board an Amtrak train and get off as close as we can to Garden of the Gods in Southern Illinois with a limo ride the rest of the way, of course. Lunch will be chuckwagon patties and for dinner – beans and cornbread. One of the most breathtaking formations is Camel Head rock and yes, you can walk out onto it but be careful, especially if it has been raining! Nestled in the Shawnee National Forest we can really soak up the energy of the ancient ones. Calm, peaceful, and awe inspiring. The trails take about an hour to walk and there are benches. The Garden of the Gods is over three thousand acres, so we need comfortable walking shoes and lots of memory in our digital cameras.

We leave Garden of the Gods and indeed the United States and fly to Clyro in Wales. Sir Arthur Conan Doyle wrote about it in The Hound of the Baskervilles and there was a curate whose diaries were published after he died – Francis Kilvert. Let’s look at the cemeteries and newspaper offices before we leave – I might find more ancestors. The earliest one I have was baptized in Clyro in 1717. While here we can try leek soup, welsh cakes (divine morsels with currants), and of course rarebit (real cheesy).

Another plane ride now and we land in Mt. Shasta, California. We need to be a bit careful here because the volcano could become active. It is a magical place, the second highest peak in the Cascades. I want to try and find the secret city known as Telos. We’ll keep an open mind and enjoy the beautiful scenery anyway. I’ve booked a table for us at Lily’s where we can have eggs benedict, beet salad, and decadent chocolate cake for dessert. I have everything including tips covered. Native tribes refer to Mt. Shasta as a region of peace. That sounds ideal.

California was great, but now let’s head to Durban in South Africa. We’ll have Bunny Chow for lunch and then in the afternoon head up north to see bottle nosed dolphins. Durban had the very first steam train in South Africa – 1860; but it only ran a short distance. Marine World is worth a visit – 32 tanks. An incredible architectural feature is the millennium tower. Structurally sound and a fascinating design. You know of Ghandi? He got his start in Durban. Let’s say thank you to all the nice people in Durban for their hospitality. In Afrikaans we say dankie (the language is a combination of Dutch and German).

Time for a visit to the great pyramids of Giza in Egypt. Khufu’s is the largest one and each of them is mathematically fascinating. Inside the pyramids are lots and lots of tunnels that used to contain things that might help the deceased in the afterlife. Apparently, even with architectural feats today the large pyramid is the second tallest building in Cairo (found this information from looking at Wikipedia). We’ll ride a camel at sunset but take public transportation to the pyramids. I want to try Fiteer Baladi which is an extra buttery pizza made from layers of filo – yum! Thinking cheese and vegetables on the top for mine.

Wow, it’s been a wonderful excursion. We have gone from Peru to Japan, several places in the United States, Wales, and Egypt. But do you know – the one place I would most like to be is right where I am, surrounded by those I love and my fur babies. Travelling is great, but there is no place like home.

December 31, 2020 17:10

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.