The Interpreter's Secret Talent: A Business Meeting Turned Stand-Up Comedy Show

Submitted into Contest #177 in response to: Set your story in a meeting where a professional interpreter takes some liberties, with major consequences.... view prompt

5 comments

Bedtime Coming of Age Funny

The boardroom was abuzz with excitement as the international business meeting got underway. At the head of the table sat Mr. Thompson, the CEO of a major pharmaceutical company, flanked by his team of executives. Across from them sat the representatives from their Chinese partners, including Mr. Chen, the CEO of a successful biotech firm.

As the meeting began, the professional interpreter, a middle-aged woman with a no-nonsense demeanor, stood up to begin translating for the Chinese delegates.

At first, everything seemed to be going smoothly. The interpreter dutifully conveyed the words of the Chinese CEO, Mr. Chen, as he outlined his company's plans for the future.

But as the meeting went on, the interpreter began to take a few liberties with her translations. She started to add in her own comments and opinions, often veering off topic and causing confusion among the attendees.

Mr. Thompson, growing increasingly frustrated, tried to intervene and get the meeting back on track. "Can you please stick to the facts, ma'am?" he asked politely.

But the interpreter seemed to be in her own world, continuing to add her own thoughts and ideas into the mix.

As the meeting reached its climax, the interpreter made a major mistake that would have far-reaching consequences. In an effort to impress Mr. Chen, she declared that Mr. Thompson had agreed to a deal that would give the Chinese company exclusive rights to their latest drug.

Mr. Thompson, shocked and embarrassed, tried to correct the misunderstanding, but it was too late. The damage had been done, and the Chinese partners left the meeting feeling confident in their

new partnership.

Mr. Thompson was livid when he found out about the interpreter's mistake. He immediately called an emergency meeting with his executives to discuss the situation.

"How could this have happened?" he yelled, pacing back and forth in front of the conference table. "We had a professional interpreter here, and she still managed to screw everything up!"

One of the executives, a nervous-looking man named Bill, stepped forward tentatively. "Sir, I think I might have an idea of what happened," he said.

"Well, spit it out already!" Mr. Thompson snapped.

"It's just that... I overheard the interpreter talking to one of the Chinese delegates before the meeting," Bill said. "She seemed to be trying to impress him, and I think she might have gotten carried away when she was translating."

Mr. Thompson let out a string of expletives, slamming his fist against the table. "This is a disaster," he said. "We have to do something to fix this."

The team spent the next few hours brainstorming solutions, but nothing seemed to be a viable option. Finally, in a last-ditch effort, Mr. Thompson decided to fly to China and personally apologize to Mr. Chen and try to renegotiate the deal.

The trip was a long and grueling one, but Mr. Thompson was determined to fix the mess that had been caused by the interpreter's mistake. When he finally arrived in China, he was greeted warmly by Mr. Chen and his team.

After a tense negotiation, Mr. Thompson was able to persuade Mr. Chen to renegotiate the deal, much to the relief of his own team back home.

Upon returning to the office, Mr. Thompson called a meeting with the interpreter and let her know, in no uncertain terms, that she would never be hired for another job with the company again.

The interpreter, red-faced and ashamed, apologized profusely and promised to never make such a mistake again. Mr. Thompson accepted her apology, but made it clear that the damage had been done and that it was time for her to move on.

From then on, Mr. Thompson made sure to do thorough background checks on all interpreters hired for important meetings, ensuring that this type of mishap would never happen again. And as for the interpreter who had caused all the trouble? She was left to ponder the consequences of her actions, and the importance of sticking to the facts in a professional setting.

But as it turned out, the interpreter had a secret talent that she had been hiding from the world. She was actually a stand-up comedian, and her "mistakes" during the business meeting had all been part of a joke that she was trying out on her unsuspecting colleagues.

When Mr. Thompson learned the truth, he couldn't help but laugh at the absurdity of it all. He apologized to the interpreter for overreacting and offered her a job as the company's official in-house comedian, much to her delight.

From then on, meetings at the pharmaceutical company were never dull, as the interpreter brought her wit and humor to the table, always keeping her colleagues on their toes and brightening their days. And as for Mr. Thompson, he learned to never judge a book by its cover, and to always expect the unexpected in the world of business.

As the days went on, the interpreter's talent for comedy became the talk of the office. Everyone couldn't wait for the next meeting, just to see what hilarious antics she would come up with next.

Mr. Thompson even started to plan special events just so that the interpreter could perform her stand-up comedy routine for the entire company. The employees loved it, and morale at the pharmaceutical company reached an all-time high.

But as it turned out, the interpreter's talents didn't stop at just comedy. She was also a skilled negotiator, and she used her sense of humor to her advantage during negotiations with clients and partners.

"Who would have thought that a stand-up comedian could be such a valuable asset in the business world?" Mr. Thompson mused to himself one day.

The interpreter's success at the company didn't go unnoticed, and she soon started to get offers from other businesses to join their teams. But she was loyal to Mr. Thompson and the pharmaceutical company, and she turned down every offer that came her way.

As the years went on, the interpreter became a beloved member of the company, and her comedy routines became the stuff of legend. She even started to tour locally, performing stand-up comedy at clubs and theaters on the weekends.

But no matter how busy she got, the interpreter always made time for the pharmaceutical company, bringing joy and laughter to her colleagues every chance she got. And Mr. Thompson, for his part, was grateful to have such a unique and talented employee on his team.

December 23, 2022 18:43

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

5 comments

Naomi Krant
17:11 Dec 29, 2022

Hi Kadijah, I am also taking part in the critics circle and was given your story to comment on. This story starts out strongly! You set the scene energetically and economically. The characters you created are quite intriguing. I’d actually love to know more about them. There is an unexpected and therefore very interesting turning point, when Mr. Thompson, who seemed like a high-powered, hard-nosed executive, laughs at “the absurdity of it all.” I’d love to know a little more about that, too. My desire for a more complete experience of your ...

Reply

Khadijah Jay
18:20 Dec 29, 2022

Thanks so much for taking the time to read my story. I love writing and it's something I do to pass time. I appreciate the advice.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Tommy Goround
06:12 Jan 22, 2023

$ + comedy = no. This got me to cringe. Good job.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Natalie Minaker
21:25 Dec 28, 2022

Hi Kadijah. Thanks for sharing your story. We have been randomly matched as part of the critics circle so I thought I'd come by and read yours. I'm new to Reedsy, so forgive me if I'm not doing this right! This was a lovely little story that was a self contained plot. I love the idea of an interpreter also being a stand-up comic! You have a lot of content here, and I could see this expanded upon to make a much longer story. A bit of advice I would suggest - feel free to ignore. A good story should "show not tell" and I felt that yours ha...

Reply

Khadijah Jay
18:19 Dec 29, 2022

Thank you I appreciate all of your good advice and your time

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.