Tusks and Dagger Part Sixteen: A Tale of the Twins

Written in response to: Start your story with someone saying “I quit!” ... view prompt

0 comments

Fantasy Adventure Friendship

“I quit!” Mary shouted at Kara, the two of them throwing their stuff at each other. “You keep taking my stuff. I am leaving this party today.” My eyebrows twitched, a steady stream of curse words poured from my lips. My brain was wondering if I should have invited them along at all. Leaping to my feet, Boran was working with the boys today. Today we were gathering medicinal supplies since we were running low while the boys had hunting supplies on their back. Maryanna wanted to go with them, so it was just us three today with Sir Acorn in my pocket. Sir Acorn popped up out of my pocket, his paw scrawling a bunch of ingredients on the list. 

“How about you two quit your fucking arguing and let’s go?” I barked sharply, holding three woven baskets. “I don’t know what got into you, but you both need to quit it. Besides, we all had some time alone with each other.” The two of them snapped their heads in my direction, a dark cloud hanging over their heads. Tossing them a basket, this was going to prove difficult today. Walking ahead, Mina was on her own today as well. She said something about visiting the island, there was honestly nothing wrong with that. She just wanted to see her friends, and play a little. 

“Are you sure you should take them?” Sir Acorn queried tiredly, rubbing his forehead. “They seem to be in a foul mood today.” Looking away for just a minute, the two of them were ripping at each other’s hair. Marching up to them, my lips parted to speak. Fright widened our eyes, the ground giving way underneath us. Luke warm air lashed at my skin, my hair falling out of my messy braid. All of us grunted roughly, the rock breaking our fall. Not even a second passed, the two of them were biting each other’s head’s off. 

“Enough!” I shouted over them, water dripping off the black stalagmites hanging over my head. “We need to get back up there, and we are down here. You are going to stop your fighting and get the fuck along.” Shooting daggers in my direction, something felt off. The ground vibrated, a scuttling noise alarming me. Sir Acorn hid in my pocket, a translucent leg burst from the mouth of the left tunnel. The twins were too busy arguing, water splashing behind us. Skeletal insects circled us, inky black pincers gnashing together. Beady black eyes bore down at us, my trembling hands shaking their shoulders. 

“Guys.” I stammered nervously, my blue scythe sliding into my eager palms. “Guys! I need your help.” A lump formed in my throat, hundreds of beady black eyes staring at me. Sir Acorn chucked a rock at their heads, the two of them snapping out of it. Horror widened their eyes, clammy sweat drenching my skin. Blue flames devoured my blade, several pincers inches from their pale faces. Knocking them to the ground, the black pincers cut off most of my hair. Tears welled up in my eyes, the length now at my shoulder. They were going to pay for this, a snarl curling on my lips. Seriously, how much could you hate your sibling?

“We wouldn’t be in this situation if you didn’t start it.” Kara argued boldly, the handle of my scythe the only thing protecting us. “What happened to your hair?” Evil laughter erupted from my lips, it taking everything for me not to smash their faces into the rocks. Grabbing them by the collar, the two of them trembled underneath my grasp. Good, they should be scared. This behavior was going to get us killed.

“You are going to sort this out after, you brats!” I growled through gritted teeth, pointing out the giant insects swarming us. “Would you like to be insect food, or are you two just going to get over it? My hair is cut off because of your dumb asses, so get your asses up and get to killing.” Releasing them from my grasp, their fingers wrapped around their white blades. Swinging my blade into the endless sea of insects, body parts and goop covered me from head to toe. The twins stood back to back, white energy swirling around their blades. Ice crept up their arms, their mouths moving a mile a minute. 

“Jump!” They ordered sharply, slamming their blades into the ground. An icy gust lashed my cheeks, ice creeping up the insects’ legs. The cracking noise echoed in the air, the twins shooting me a thumbs up. Crashing onto the ice, the flames on my scythe roared with revenge. Let my fury destroy what took my hair.

“Mina, grant me the power to shatter all of my enemies.” I pleaded desperately, spinning my scythe over my head. The scythe doubled in size, the sound of glass breaking  echoing in the cavern as the insects shattered into tiny pieces. The twins high-fived each other, an unimpressed look darkening my face. Well, I guess their fight was over. Apologetic grins and big puppy dog eyes flashed in my direction, rage seething in my eyes. 

“We are so sorry!” Kara apologized pathetically, getting on her hands and knees. “We didn’t mean to put you in danger.” Groaning irritably, it wasn’t like I have ever had any siblings. Sighing deeply, my hands crossed. Scratching the tops of my hand, my hair was gone. That was one of my safety nets, and now it is gone thanks to them. What would Boran do once he saw it?

“I forgive you, but you need to not do this again.” I warned icily, marching towards the left tunnel. “Let’s go.” Bowing their heads in shame, orange flames flickered to life on the ancient torches. We needed to find a map to get out of here, Sir Acorn rolling his eyes. Munching on an acorn, my stomach rumbled. This was not the time to be hungry, my baby certainly picking a horrible time. The twins skipped up to me, trying to win me back over. Ignoring them, the words from their lips not reaching my ears. Strange symbols covered the walls, chanting echoing in the tunnels. A blunt object whacked the back of my head, darkness swallowing me whole. 

Rubbing the back of my head, a migraine throbbed angrily.  Sitting up, chains rattled as I struggled. The three of us were chained to the wall, the twins slumbering away. A single candle lit the soggy chamber, the bed of hay not helping my back at all. The door swung open as a man with a raven mask came in, his black wool robes dancing in the gentle icy breeze. My day was already crappy enough, this certainly didn’t help me at all. Saying nothing, a flame danced on top of his gloved finger. Watching him light up some kind of altar, the white wax dripping down the edges of the candle. Yellowed human skulls held the candles, more bones lining the wall. My skin paled, the pictures on the wall depicting three sacrifices underneath a full moon or sun. Where was Boran when I needed him? Sir Acorn hid in my pocket, his tiny body shivering. Sir Acorn was the only way out for us, there were far too many people for us to take on here. We had to be outnumbered three to one hundred, the odds not in our favor.

“I need you to go get the boys.” I whispered into his tiny ears, the person still lighting up a sea of candles. “Take them to us. Judging by the pictures on the wall, you have three days for them to get here. They need the full moon or sun for their ceremony. Go!” Watching him scurry away, my hope died a bit. Guilt ate at his red eyes, his tail twitching away from me. Sitting back, these chains were slowly draining my powers, the twins’ powers already gone. All I could do was wait for our knights in shining armor to show up, these next days were going to be rough. Two days passed, the twins were not waking up at all. Hope dissolved by the second, an icy breeze nipping my bare skin. The person would come in periodically to give me just enough water to live, my stomach aching with hunger. The skulls were my only friends keeping me company at this point, my ears perking up at certain words.

“We have several intruders!” A random male voice called out, men dropping to the ground left and right. Screams echoed down the hall, red cloaked figures dragged the three of us to blackened stakes. Tying us with normal rope, the twins still wouldn’t wake up. Two elderly men in simple white masks argued back and forth, wondering if they should even try to do their ceremony. Terror widened my eyes, cold sweat dripped on my brow. Noting the huge pile of wood underneath all of us, horror plagued my mind as I watched two black robed men toss lit torches onto the pile. The sticky heat of the flames licked the wood, the fire getting closer to my boots. Boran burst in with Somata on his side, the two of them knocking men out with ease. The twins jerked awake, ice shooting from their palms. Hissing echoed in the empty chamber, the fire sputtering out. Lord Kanama and Lord Karama rushed in, cutting down anyone on their way to their girls. Blood dripped down their blades, Merlin freezing everyone around us. Maryanna popped up behind me, her nimble hands ripping off the ropes. Boran slammed into my weakened body, tears of relief flooded from my eyes. Never before have I been so happy to see his handsome face, tearrs welling up in his eyes. Melting into his arms, my muscles screamed out in pain. Somata swung a silver blade around, slicing men down like they were made of straw. Blood spread like the sea, everyone lay dead in a matter of minutes. Blood pooled around their bodies, Somata fussing over me as well. Red dyed his dress shirt, a smile of relief on his lips. My two most important boys were next to me, this moment couldn't get any better.

“Thank god you are alright.” Boran blubbered into my ears, his tears soaking my back. “I like your hair. It looks great.” A tender blush rose to my cheeks, his lips kissing mine feverishly. Tossing me over his shoulder, Mina offered us her claw. Hopping on, the morning sun felt warm on my skin. My stomach rumbled, Somata passing me a plate of eggs and some type of meat. Nothing ever smelled so amazing, the food barely staying on the plate. The twins ate with the same vigor, all three of us resting in our lovers’ arms. Boran refused to let me go, his tears soaking the top of my head. Stealing me away from everyone, his strong arms guided me to the nearby healing spring. Carrying me in, the healing magic gifted me with my powers. Relief washed over me, my muscles relaxing. 

“I am so happy Sir Acorn found you. Where is he?” I whispered in a raspy tone, my throat dry from thirst. “I need to thank him.” Clutching me close to his chest, the water splashed with every step he took. Dirt crunched underneath his boots, the sun drying us in a moment. Clean, it felt so nice to be clean. Setting me down on a plush mat, he laid down next to me. His bare chest glistened in the morning light, Sir Acorn running up to me. His tiny paw hugged my stiff hand, shock widening his eyes as my lips kissed the top of his head. 

``Whatever did you gift me with that for?” He inquired sweetly, not really knowing what he did. Chuckling to myself, he was really a clueless little guy sometimes. Pulling him close to me, confusion twisted his face. Scarlet burned his cheeks, his tail tickling my chin. Afraid to fall asleep, his tiny paws cupped my chin. His eyes bore into mine, his lips breaking into a rare smile. 

“You are a hero.” I sighed softly, Boran snoring behind me. “I am so happy to have you as my friend. Can I tell you something? I am afraid to sleep. I just know that the nightmares will be literal torture.” His paw patted my cheek, his attempt to comfort me awkward. Unable to sleep, dirt crunched underneath my boots as I walked to the healing springs. Somata hugged me from behind, his slender hands taking mine as we sat down. Tears welled up in my eyes, Sir Acorn leaping into my pocket. Tears flooded from my eyes, my head crashing onto the lap of his black dress pants. Playing with my hair, it reminded me of everything I had lost. The urge for my mother burned in my heart, her smile always making my day.

“You are beautiful with your new hair. It really frames your beautiful face. Now tell me what is wrong, little sis.” He complimented honestly, sobs wracking my body. “You can tell me anything you know.” Nodding silently in his lap, I wasn’t ready to talk about it. The helplessness of the past two days was horrible, the twins running up to me in their robes. Collapsing to their knees, they pressed their palms together. 

“We are so sorry.” They chimed together sorrowfully, regret dimming their eyes. “If we weren’t fighting, you wouldn’t have lost your hair or be scarred right now.” Sitting up for a moment, surprise rounded their eyes the moment I embraced them like my life depended on it. Shaking my head, my tears soaked Kara’s shoulders. 

“It wasn’t your fault, it would have happened either way.” I choked out, wanting to scream at them until my face turned blue. “You are still my friends, and if you need anyone to talk to you know where I am. You are forgiven, my dear friends. You can cry in my arms if you need to.” Just like that, the floodgates opened. Tears poured from their eyes, my emotions taking the back burner. Lord Karama and Lord Kanama peeled them off of me, dragging the protesting twins away. Somata clutched me close to his chest, his trembling hands gripping me tighter. 

“How can you be so forgiving with those two? They nearly got you killed.” He questioned nervously, his mind shaken up. “I don’t know what I would do without you, little sis.” Everything came out, my emotions no longer able to be caged. Feeling pathetic, his brotherly hug made me want to tell him everything. 

“I am so scared.” I blurted out brokenly, my voice cracking. “I hate being helpless and broken. You must think that I am pathetic. I couldn’t even save Mary and Kara, how can I save this world from that stupid witch in the mirror!” Sobs shuddered my whole body, his arms rocked me back and forth. Small, I felt so small and fragile. Clutching my shivering body warmly, he lifted up my chin. Grinning crookedly, he took my trembling hands. 

“That is what makes a good leader great. You will feel small and tiny, but you have such a stubborn streak. I just know that you will save us all. Take some advice from your big brother.” He comforted me gently, sitting me down across from him. “You are already perfect the way you are. I am lucky to have you in your life, this kid will have the best mother. Boran is a lucky bastard to have you for a husband, and your friends are lucky to have you. Don’t you fret away all of your blonde hair. Your hair will be as white as mine if you keep it up.” Laughter exploded from our lips, all of our other friends rushing over. All of them embraced me, the warmth heating up my heart. No matter how dark the day, they would always bring the light.

October 08, 2022 03:23

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.