0 comments

Christian Contemporary Fiction

  Sometimes Betty saw things that she wasn’t suppose to see. Like patients storing up their medication to take all at once to try and kill themselves. It was a hostel for the dying. But some of the patients couldn’t wait for there time to come. They weren’t in a lot of pain because Betty tried to comfort them as best she could along with the other nurses. They also used drugs such as morphine, oxycontin to name a few of the powerful narcotics used to comfort the patients. Betty had been working there ten years and she found it comforting to help her patients make the transition from this life to the next. She was personally catholic but knew enough about buddhism to have an interesting conversation with a patient. She sometimes wondered about the transition to the next life was it amazing and peaceful. She imagined it was.

   It was lunch time and Peggy one of her patients had to be helped to eat lunch. She was a rather pleasant person christian and articulate. Betty went to her room. The rooms were white but the patient could make it feel more like home with pictures and quilts. Also, everyone had a TV to elevate some of the hours of boredom. There were also classes for those that could go. Mostly mental exercises and mood stabilization were taught at these classes.

   Peggy said Hello when she saw Betty walk in her room. Betty smiled and helped her with her bib. “How are you doing today Miss Peggy” Betty asked. “ I had a bad dream last nite. It was about when I was a young girl and I went out with a boy that wasn’t very nice to me.” Betty asked “ what did he do?” “Well he yelled at me a lot and once he struck me in the face” Peggy said. Betty continued to help Peggy eat. “Wow, What did you do once he struck you.”Peggy replied “ I told him I never wanted to see him again. He had some dumb excuse that I made him angry but I knew when enough was enough.” After that I never saw him again. Betty said it’s better you didn’t and don’t mind the bad dream sometimes our subconscious brings these memories to the surface.

   Peggy was one of Betty’s favorite patients at the time. Her favorites change quite often on account of them dying and she gets new patients almost every third day. Peggy has had her last rites and has cancer which has spread so it won’t be long now. But Peggy is a trouper. She rarely complains and has said a few times whenever God calls I’m ready. Betty and Peggy have talked about the hereafter life and they seem to agree that it will be glorious. Betty’s faith helps her a great deal do her job. She considered’s it a calling. In her view the Lord puts us places where we can do the most good. Betty caught Peggy hoarding her medication and told her don’t you want to go when the time comes. You haven’t lived this long to end your own life have you? Not to mention suicide is a huge sin in the catholic teachings. Peggy gave Betty the pills she had and told her it won’t happen again. That made there relationship all the more stronger and they had an understanding that God is in control.

   Betty often prays during her shift. She says small prays like have mercy on us father. Or to Mary assist us in our last agony. She finds this comforting. This seems to help the day go smoother. Some people may think of her job as a bit depressing but actually it is life affirming. It reminds her every day of what is really important. To be kind to people to let the light of Jesus shine in her actions. Her job is important to the aging, the sick, and the disabled. They need her to help them for whatever time they have left. She tries to be upbeat all the time. She finds it helps with her patients moods. When called upon she has been asked to help convert people to catholicism. There are nurses of many denominations so they try very hard to grant request of conversion. Betty remembers a man that simple wanted to go to confession. He had lived a hard life homeless for part of it.  He told her poverty had made him sin. He had stolen and gambled and drunk. All on account of being poor and seeing no hope for his future. Betty responded that she hopes he can see hope now and that confession and last rites were sacraments he can receive. She’ll never forget his face after confession. It seemed to glow and he seemed happy. She thought to herself the Lord works in mysterious ways. 

   After a few days Peggy was much worse. She couldn’t get out of bed and had no appetite. Betty braced herself for the inevitable. When you think of it we will all come face to face with our creator. Betty talked to Peggy about the Lord having a special place for her in his kingdom. That this was not a sad time really for her. For Betty, She’ll miss her friend and all the fun they had while she was here. But for Peggy she must have faith that the Lord will take care of her. The priest also visited Peggy a few times near the end.

   Betty went to work one morning and was told that Peggy passed during the night. Betty thought to herself that was the reason for the strange dream last night. She had dreamt that she was feeding Peggy but Peggy would not eat. She simple told her I’ve already had the bread. Betty woke up then and could not get back to sleep. She was thankful that her friend had communion. Betty thought she was referring to the Eucharist, when she referred to the bread. What a lovely way to leave this world. Betty did miss her friend but she was grateful for all the time they spent together. She also thought she was with the Lord now and at peace. 

   When you think about it people who work in aging facilities are helping people every day to make the transition to the next life. Doctors and nurses as well are helping people to go to the hereafter. We don’t usually think of this but it is a very important job. Those that are aging or are terminally ill are going to pass from this life to the next. Let’s hope we help them do it comfortable and peacefully.

January 07, 2021 19:15

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.