0 comments

Fantasy Inspirational

I walked into the large stone building, my heart beating faster with every step I took. Passing all the doors that I had no idea what had behind, and I didn’t want to know, I took the stairs to the fifth floor. A place where technology was invented, but there was no elevator. Many people passed by me, some smiling faces, other crying ones, and I wondered in which category would I be by the end of the day.

On the fourth floor, I saw Bethany, my best friend, looking through some papers with a stressed look on her face. She turned my way, as if she had sensed my presence, and immediately smiled.

‘‘So you’re doing this, huh?’’

I nodded, determined and a little scared, and went for a hug.

‘‘It was about time. Not that I had any options. I turn 20 in a few days and I didn’t want to lose my opportunity.’’

‘‘You’re doing the right thing. Come, I’ll accompany you there.’’

We walked together to the fifth floor and then all the way to the end of the corridor, where two huge men in black suits stood in front of the last door of this building. Their faces were blank and their eyes were fixed straight ahead, not turning to us once. They looked like robots; they didn’t even blink once. I hated this place. I had no idea how Beth worked here and I’m pretty sure this will the only time I’ll step foot inside, at least by choice. I felt a nudge on my shoulder, reminding me I had to speak. Clearing my throat, I tried to make my voice as firm as possible.

‘‘My name is Amelia Reid. I have an appointment.’’

Without looking at me, one of them pressed a red button, and the door opened. I held my breath for a second, the realization that this is happening hitting me. I tried to step inside with Beth, but a hand stopped us. She nudged me forward, giving me a smile of encouragement, and then took three steps back. I had to go in

alone.

As soon as I was inside, I heard the door closing behind me. Taking a look around the room, I noticed that there was no equipment inside except for an armchair in front of a window. The window. A dim blue light came from it, the only source of light in the room. I started taking deep breaths while repeating the steps I had to do so that I don’t mess it up. Sit on the chair, write down the code you have received, open the window and wait for ten minutes. The process will start after that.

For a second I thought about turning around and leaving, but I had to do this or else I might regret it later. Slowly, I walked to the armchair and sat down. In front of me, there was a small wooden table, attached to the chair from the bottom, and a device like a tablet was on it. I pressed Open, and the screen turned on. First, it had the description of this whole thing. I already knew it, the entire world knew it, but I read it anyway so that I would have more time to myself.

The World Traveller. The World Traveller at first glance may seem like any other window. Only it’s not. Created by our company, with the newest technology, we present to you the true magical window. With a press of a button, you have the chance to meet any person in the world that existed or might exist. You want to see and talk to someone from the past? You got it. You want to see and talk to someone from the future? You got it. You communicate with us and we make it possible.

Warning: This service is available to people from 20 and under.

I pressed continue, not thinking too much about the age limitation, although I’ve always wondered what that was about. A bar where I had to put the code appeared, and I wrote it down with trembling hands.

I knew everyone got nervous. It was normal. But when I told the office guys, I don’t even know what they’re called, who I want to meet even they thought it might not be a good idea. But I need this.

The last thing I had to press was INSERT before the loading bar appeared with ‘‘Travelling to the future’’ written on it. 10 minutes passed faster than any 10 minutes have ever passed in my life. I opened the window, the blue light switched off and a similar chair like the one I was sitting in appeared on the other side. With a girl sitting on it. A woman. She was alive. I sucked in a breath and for a second I thought I might pass out.

She had longer hair now, and she had become blonde. She was wearing a pair of black jeans, a red sweatshirt and her hands were under her thighs, a habit she did when she was nervous and wanted to stop her trembling hands. I smiled at that and realized I had my own hands in the same position.

At first, she looked lost, but when her eyes landed on me, she smiled.

‘‘Hey there. I didn’t expect you to ask for me,’’ she said and her voice sounded more mature. I noticed she still wore dark red lipstick, and that made me feel a little closer to her. Still the same shade.

I tried to speak, but I couldn’t. It felt as if everything was hitting me at once. The crippling anxiety I’ve felt all this time was now coming to the surface and I’m sure I looked terrified.

‘‘I know that look. I still see it in the mirror sometimes. It’s okay, it’s normal that you feel that way.’’ Her tone was comforting and loving like she was talking to a little child and I teared up. And then I started crying.

‘‘I’m so glad you’re alive.’’ Saying that made more tears stream down my face. Cause it was true, I was so glad she was alive. I was so glad I was alive.She waited a few minutes for me to calm down and then spoke again.

‘‘How does 30 years old Amelia look? Do I still look hot?’’A laugh escaped my lips, she was trying to break the tension. ‘‘Talk to me.’’ she continued in a more serious tone. ‘‘How come you decided to meet me?’’

Clearing my throat, I started talking, realizing that I probably have little time.

‘‘I’m not doing good. You probably already know that, you’ve experienced it.’’

She stared at me, not breaking eye contact, and let me continue.

‘‘I know I probably shouldn’t have done this cause I’m destroying the element of surprise that life brings, right? But I couldn’t do it anymore. I needed to know I’ve made it.’’

The heavy look she had in her eyes made me tear up again.

‘‘Were you scared?’’ she asked, and I immediately nodded.

‘‘You know how many times you’re gonna be scared in the future? I can’t even count them. And then when you’re scared you won’t be able to come to me, you know? You will have to make your decisions right then and that can change things forever.’’ I kept nodding to everything she was saying, not being able to speak.

‘‘But you know, you have to stop doubting yourself. There’s no should or shouldn’t have. You did the right thing by coming here today cause you felt like you had to. There are gonna be tons of surprises in life.’’ She took a deep breath and I noticed she had started tearing up too.

‘‘I’m really glad you came here today. Cause you know what my wish always was? If only I could talk to the past me. And why you may ask? Because I wanted to tell you this: I’m really, really, really fucking proud of you.’’

A sob made my whole body move, and hers too.

‘‘Are you really okay? Are we really okay?’’ I asked the question that has been in my mind for so long. Will I be okay?

‘‘We are alive. We are living. So we are perfect.’’

A beeping tone came from the device in front of me, time was about to be up.

‘‘Thank you. You kept fighting, so thank you.’’ That was the last thing she said before she disappeared and the window closed on its own.

I stood there in shock for what felt like half an hour. Then I stood up, wiped the tears off my face and let out a breath of relief I didn’t know I had been holding. I made it. I am alive and I’m perfect. She was proud of me. Future Amelia was proud of me.

Now I just had to make present Amelia proud. And I was gonna start doing that by waking up tomorrow. And the day after that. And the day after that.

June 11, 2021 22:23

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.