The Swan and the Warlock

Written in response to: Start your story with someone being forbidden from doing something.... view prompt

0 comments

Fantasy Romance Teens & Young Adult

“I said no, Luna.” My stepmother forbade me with a sneer. “Why would anyone want to see you, you ugly duckling.”  My blonde haired twin sisters giggled childishly into their slender witch hands.  Their green eyes shimmered with twisted intentions.  Horrendous green silk flowed over their petite bodies while my servant’s outfit looked old and stained.   As pretty as they were on the outside, they were ugly as hell on the inside.  Rolling my copper eyes, my worn ratty boots stomped up the creaky stairs of the large stone mansion.  Tonight was the Harvest Moon Ball which would be the night the new coven mother would be chosen.  The old one was passing on her powers to a new witch to stand next to her warlock son.  

“See you never, loser!” One of them yelled as I glanced at my stepmother's pink gaudy gown that clashed with her tight red curly hair. “You will always be our servant girl.”  I suppose they were telling the truth.  No, not tonight!  For once the moon will grant me the power to defy them.  One problem stood between me and my own will though.  I lacked a gown to wear to this spooktacular night.  The mice in this place had eaten all of my fine silks.  The horse clopped away, echoing into the still night air.  Defeated, dust flew all around me when my hourglass figure plopped onto the marble steps.  Mats, and snarls from a long day's work knotted my long wavy brown hair.

“Psst.” A quiet voice inquired from the back door. “May I please come in?”  A tall brown-haired man my age approached me.  Golden eyes glimmered back at me, looking me up and down.  His navy blue suit sparkled in the weak candlelight.  A crooked grin curled at the corner of his lips.  My heart skipped a beat, making me realize what a mess I looked like. 

“I am afraid the mistress, and her daughters have left for the ball.” I muttered, looking away sheepishly. “I was not allowed to go.  As you can see I am just the help.”  His eyebrow raised quizzically at my statements.  Chuckling to himself, he ran his hand through his long black hair.

Shame dripped from my aura, surely dampening the air around us.  

“I think you are beautiful.” He commented, attempting to wipe today’s dirt away from my face. “You are so different from the empty airheads at my ball right now. “  Horror widened my eyes, forcing me to jump away.  A large lump formed in my throat, nearly choking me.

“You are the warlock son.” I uttered in pure disbelief. “I am sorry for being in your company, sir.  I am not worthy.”  Tears formed in my eyes until I noticed the cut on his cheek.  Squinting, my eyes examined the small stripe on his cheek.  The thickets must have pricked him on his way here.  Anxiously, my boots clicked on the marble floor to the laundry room.  Shakily, I grabbed soap and warm water.  A thick towel hung above my head, falling into my hands.  He was sitting on our black silk couch, patiently waiting for my return.  What was his freaking game?  

“I like you.” He admitted, eyeing the bucket and towel in my trembling hands. “You are treating me like a normal human being.  I am not used to that.  It is always let me do this, or let me do that.  They treat me like a porcelain doll never meant to be broken.”  A soft smile lit up my dirty face, the anxiety melting away.  Our auras matched together like fire needs air.  Hisses poured from his kissable lips as I dabbed at his cut.  

“Is there a reason you are wandering the countryside and not standing by your mother’s side?” I queried, setting the bucket and towel down. “Surely, there are finer maidens in the coven that have caught your eyes.”  His golden eyes glistened excitedly, inching closer to me.  My heart was nearly thumping out of my chest, making me back up just a tinge.  Scarlet flushed my face, as his hand wrapped around mine.  

“Say, do you want the witch by my side?” He asked, gripping my hand tighter. “You must be the one, because I feel like we have met before.”  Confusion twisted his face when my hand pulled out of his.  Hurt burned in his eyes, causing me to fixate on the ornate grandfather’s clock in front of me.  

“I would like to, but most people want their leader to look like this.” I said, motioning at my outfit and nest of hair. “They deserve better than this.”  A wide grin brightened his gloomy face, making me concerned for what was going to be said next.  Rubbing his hands, he stomped his fancy golden boots on the marble floor.  Golden smoke appeared around me, engulfing me in glitter.  A golden gown that hugged my hourglass figure lay softly on my rough skin.  My hair was twisted into a clean side bun.  Sapphires dripped down my neck and ears, sparkling in the candlelight. 

“You look like what now.” He teased, standing me up. “I think they will like you now.  No more excuses, just come with me, Demetri.  I have a late entrance to make.  You know what they say, it is always fashionable to be late.”  His golden gloved hand waited for mine, hope leaking from his eyes.  Gulping, my fingers intertwined with his.  The air rushed around us, melting away to  a large sapphire castle.  Ballgowns and fancy tuxedos danced around a well lit room.  Soft gentle music leaked from the castle, relaxing me.  Dirt crunched beneath my golden boots as we ran in the entrance.  His mother with hair black as ink greeted him with a whack on head.  She opened her mouth to protest, but paused at the sight of me.  Her navy robes swished around as she examined me up and down.  

“I like you.” She cooed excitedly. “You are a past lover from his past  who is the air to his flames.”  My muscles froze, cautiously watching her pull out a stick of red lipstick.  Blinking my eyes, a layer of red colored my lips.  Scarlet flushed my cheeks, no words eeking out of my now painted lips.  His arms embraced my small waist, molding me into his hips.  

“Thank you.” I mumbled, trembling. “Are you sure about me?”  Shaking her head, her hands planted on her hips sassily.  Joyfully, we were shoved onto the top of the twisting double staircase.  Blue carpet graced the golden marble floors.  Music screeched to a halt, murmurs erupting as the man in a blue uniform announced us.  

“Welcome Master Demetri Lichen, and his future bride Luna Etoile.” He shouted, cries of disappointment crashing in the crowd around us.  The music started up again, a little sloppy at first, but alas they found their rhythm.  All eyes fell on me with each step down the stairs.  Jealous daggers of stares shot in my direction, only making him hold me tighter.  

“Ignore the haters.” He whispered in my ear. “I chose you because of a few years ago in the market.”  Shock filled my eyes as I looked into his golden eyes.  It all came back to me now.  He was the boy in the market who had stolen an apple or something.  His hand was about to be cut off until I paid for it.  The moment it sat in his hand, he handed it to a poor orphan boy whose parents were killed in action.  We spent that day walking the fields outside of town, just killing time.  

“You were the boy who didn’t know the rules of the market.” I teased playfully. “I never stopped thinking about you.  I feel stupid for not reconginzing you.”  Shrugging, he pulled me to his throne and sat me down on his lap.  His lips pressed against mine with hunger.  Pulling away, our faces blushed bright red as hands slapped both sides of my face.  Time melted away, leaving just us. The twins and my stepmother are standing inches from my face.

“You little snake!” She hollered, attracting everyone’s attention. “You stole this from your sisters.  They deserve it more than you.”  Envy oozed off of every inch of her being.  Indignation darkened Demetri’s eyes, narrowing them into little slits.  Fear rose in my heart at the sight of his darkness.  

“I would suggest you leave and never come back if you don’t want to become mice or a bug.” He threatened, furrowing his brows. “Or I could turn you into the snakes you really are.  How dare you treat her the way you did this whole time!  In fact you are banned from the coven.”  Sighing, I raised my hand to his chest, shocking him into looking in my direction.  The three of them were quaking in their boots.   

“Or we will just ban you from the castle, and not from the coven.” I reasoned sadly, asking myself why I cared so much. “If you leave now, you will be spared from any punishment.  How about that?”  Her two black lips pursed tightly together, hatred burning in her eyes.  Pink sparks shot from her fingers, threatening to kill me.  A female hand touched her shoulder turning the woman into a snake.  His mother tossed her into a cage, rubbing her forehead.  The twins sprinted out her reach only to be turned into toads.  Guards scooped them into cages, and took all three away.  The crowd cheered with joy at the display of magic.  The sapphire crown sparked in the bright candlelight.  Smiling deeply, she took it off of her head and placed it on my head.  

“You are now the mother of the coven.” She announced, tears flowing from her eyes onto her robe. “You have the necessary traits to lead.”  Her arms wrapped around my shaking body.  Demetri glowed with pure happiness for the first time in the night.  

“Thank you.” I squeaked. “Can we get back to celebrating?”  With a flick of my wrist, the roof became invisible to show the yellow harvest moon.  Rich moonlight bathed the dance floor leaving a hole in the center of the crowd.  He pulled me to the middle.  Music played loudly around us, fading away to just us.  My lips kissed his lips passionately, making his face flush bright red.  I will be okay here.  Is this my happily ever after?  

October 22, 2021 18:36

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.