2 comments

Adventure Romance African American

This story contains sensitive content

“I can’t believe the friends you are starting to make, Siobhan,” Debra said as she folded laundry. “These people are bad news for you.” 

Siobhan looked at her aunt skeptically. “My friends are helping me.” 

Debra scoffed. She pulled out her phone, scrolling through…something. “Look at these pictures you took, Siobhan. What are they? Look how you are dressed!” 

“Auntie, what-” Debra quickly sauntered over and placed the phone in front of Siobhan’s face. 

“I thought when you moved out, that you would at least respect yourself and your appearance.” 

Siobhan sighed. She didn’t want to say anything and start an argument like they had in the past. Things were good between them. At least that was what Siobhan wanted to think. After all, Debra was the only family she had and any nonsense is what she had to put up with. That’s what her cousins told her every time she needed to vent. 

Debra continued to drone on about the importance of one’s appearances, and Siobhan made to appear as if she was listening; she wasn’t on her phone and she made scarily prolonged eye contact as Debra spoke, even going as far as to nod her head in understanding. 

Once the boring lecture was over, Siobhan made herself something to eat and went into the guest bedroom her aunt made for her.  Her mother smiled up at her from the picture placed on her bedside table. How Siobhan wished she was still alive. She was the complete and total opposite of her sister. She had an old person’s name, Nancy, but she never had a baby-boomer personality. Now, Siobhan felt because Debra was the only family she had, she was obligated to visit her and keep in touch. But she often felt she had to compete with her cousins, who were more like siblings to her. They were living normal lives and into normal hobbies like fantasy football and hockey. It’s just that something about her wasn’t right. Siobhan went to sleep, excited about leaving her house in the morning and going to her apartment. 

The sun peaked through the blinds the next morning. Siobhan packed her belongings. She paused to look at her mother’s picture. She wanted to take it for herself, but she didn’t want to go through with arguing with her over a picture of her mother. She could hear her aunt shuffling in the kitchen as she made herself a pot of coffee. Siobhan entered the kitchen as well and made her pot of coffee. Debora was in her robe and bonnet looking ever so comfortable. 

“Good morning,” Debra greeted her niece. 

“Good morning,” Siobhan replied. 

Debra eyed Siobhan’s suitcase. “Wish you could stay with me a little longer. Your cousins are coming over, but you’ll be gone by then.” 

“Yeah, I would have liked to see them.” 

Debra sat at the high table. “Breakfast is on the stove; help yourself as always.” 

“Thanks.” Siobhan fixed a plate of bacon, eggs, and toast. The aroma of breakfast had been filling the room, making Siobhan’s stomach growl. She sat across from her aunt.

“So, have you only registered for on-site classes as I told you?” 

Siobhan paused mid-bite of her eggs. She dabbed her mouth with a napkin. She wasn't in the mood to have this conversation, especially when she had already told her that the class she needed to take wasn’t on-site. 

Debra noticed her reaction and put down her fork, glaring disapprovingly at her niece. “You need to take on-site classes,” she told her sternly. “You need an actual teacher in front of you. You know you don’t do well with that online stuff.” 

“It was only one class,” Siobhan said. “Am I not allowed to pick my classes anymore?” Siobhan was just as shocked as Debra was at that reaction. Siobhan hoped it wouldn’t turn into a full-blown argument. 

“I’m just trying to help you!” her aunt exclaimed. “But you just wanna do what you want!” 

“Isn’t that the point of being an adult?” Siobhan asked. She didn’t raise her voice, but Debra acted as if she did.

“Just so ungrateful for my help,” Debra fussed. She slammed her fork on her clean plate and abruptly got out of her chair to wash the dishes. “If only your mother were here to see how you’re acting.” 

“My mother would be proud of me,” Siobhan replied. She rose from her a chair as well. Her suitcase was by the living room couch. It faced the door. 

Siobhan didn’t say goodbye as she left her aunt’s door. Instead, she dragged her suitcase and walked out of the house. She blasted some rock music with Spotify and drove home. She wanted to scream, but she knew it wouldn’t help things. A tinny ringtone blared from her speakers, interrupting her music. She answered.

“Hey!” Charon’s voice rang through Siobhan’s speakers. 

“Hey,” Siobhan responded flatly, her mouth forming into a flat line. 

“Lemme guess, your aunt,” Charon responded in the same flat tone. 

“Bingo,” Siobhan responded with the use of a finger gun for emphasis. 

“Hmm, come over, friend, I’ve got something to show you,” Charon said. 

“Why?”

“Just come over.”

Siobhan arrived at Charon’s house moments later. Charon had been a long-time friend of Siobhan’s. If her aunt would not support her, Charon was always there. 

Charon greeted her friend and gestured for her to come in. Siobhan sighed and plopped on the plush couch in the living room. 

“What was your aunt fussing about this time?” Charon said. She was behind Siobhan, in the kitchen, rummaging around and then the sound of a bottle cork popping could be heard, followed by pouring. Siobhan was about to stop her, but she thought better of it.  Chance. She strode over to the couch and gave Siobhan a glass of the blood-red drink. 

Siobhan sighed. “I just knew we were gonna get into an argument. She doesn’t want me taking online classes.” Siobhan took a sip. 

“Did your aunt pay for the college?”

“No.” 

“Did she get a grant?” 

“No.” 

“Did she make the schedule for you?” 

“No.” 

“Then she has no say-so in how you try to pursue your education!” Charon exclaimed. “My dear, you need to stick up for yourself.” 

“I know, but it turns into an argument!” 

“Then, let it become an argument,” Charon replied. “Don’t let her guilt-trip you. Stand your ground. Even if you were still living with her, you are your own person, not her.”

“You’re right,” Siobhan admitted.

Charon sat next to her on the couch with her glass of wine in one hand and her cell phone in the other. She set the glass down on the coffee table and began typing something on her phone. She turned the front of the phone towards Siobhan. 

“What’s this?” Siobhan asked. It was a beautifully decorated picture advertising a log cabin complex nestled in a winter cove. In big, bold words, it read, “Soulstice Retreat! A place where you can rest your weary head.”

“I thought we could go together. I saved up enough money to pay for both of us. It’s on me,” Charon beamed.

“Charon, you didn’t have to do this!” Siobhan exclaimed. 

“You can’t back out on this now,” Charon responded cheekily. 

“I’m going to have to tell my aunt!” 

“To hell with her!” Charon exclaimed, throwing her phone down on the couch. “This is more so for you! That’s why it’s on me! It’s my random gift to you.”

“I don’t know what to say!” 

“Just say you’ll start packing. We’ve got two weeks till the beginning of the school semester!” 

Siobhan and Charon had an impromptu celebratory dinner and wine. Charon cooked unstuffed cabbage roll stew. After settling down Charon raised her glass. 

“To getting away,” she toasted. 

“To finally getting away!” Charon cheered.  They clinked their glasses.

Charon rode with Siobhan to her apartment. They had a good time, packing Siobhan’s things when she fell on the bed hyperventilating. Pools of tears freely flowed out of her eyes. Charon ran over and hugged her tightly. 

“What’s wrong?” Charon asked. 

Siobhan sobbed, “I’m not ready to tell my aunt.” 

“Then just make up something,” Charon suggested.

The day arrived when they would take off on the trip. Charon was at her apartment getting her things ready. Both girls were on their phones talking excitedly. Charon picked up Siobhan and, with their suitcases packed in the trunk, was off on an adventure across the country to the mountains. They sang karaoke in the car and made pit stops until…

Finally, they arrived at the wintery wonderland complex. The girls looked in awe at the whole scene. Pine trees were tenfold, landscaping the snowy area, with scenic mountaintops behind them. Patrons settled into their cozy vacation havens. The cabins were spaced out, giving everyone their own space of solitude and rest. There were optional social activities; skiing, snowboarding, gatherings around the fire, and so on. The girls settled in a small, cozy cabin with a fireplace. They both were in awe of the amenities. Complimentary wine was placed on the table in front of the lit fireplace. There were two bottles. 

Siobhan flopped herself on the bed. She looked at her phone and frowned. “There’s no signal here.”

“Well, we are in the mountains. They should have at least WiFi here,” Charon mumbled, still packing. They were settled and getting comfortable within moments. 

Siobhan felt as if she were in a fairy tale. When it was chilly, she warmed herself by the fireplace. She sent one text message (after setting up WiFi) to her aunt saying she was out of town. She did not specify where, but she said she needed a getaway. The college semester was hard, she texted. As usual, she had gotten a boatload of texts from her aunt asking where on earth she was, and to call her immediately. When Siobhan did not call, she received call after call from Debrah. 

The cabin was medium-sized. Aside from the fireplace in the common room, there was a fireplace sitting perfectly above it. The cabin had one bedroom, which was all the girls could afford, but it was nice all the same. They even had a fire pit outside. 

Siobhan and Charon spent the morning curled up by the fireplace like two napping cats.

“I know that this is sort of weird, but this is romantic, isn’t it?” Siobhan asked. 

Chalice giggled, “Yeah, I guess. I’m just glad you can finally relax for a while. And while on break, practice standing up to your aunt. Set some boundaries.” 

“I’m constantly getting texts from her,” Siobhan admitted. 

“Text her back when you feel ready, but don’t wait too long. She needs to know that you have boundaries. Anyway, I’m getting hungry. Let’s see what we can get to eat. There are shopping places nearby.” 

“Sounds like a plan,” Siobhan agreed. 

The girls got in the car and traveled down the mountain slopes to a nearby small village. It was a little late in the morning, so the market was bustling. The market they shopped in had the best quality farm ingredients; the eggs were good quality and the bacon was fresh. They had even bought milk and cocoa powder. 

“I feel like I’m back in time,” Siobhan admired as they perused through the market.

Charon smiled. “You’re right. It’s so rustic.” 

Siobhan felt a strange feeling as Charon looked at her with a smile. She quickly pushed those feelings aside. After the girls gathered ingredients for breakfast, they traveled back to their cabin in the chilly air. 

With their coats covered in snow, the girls entered their home away from home and let the fireplace warm them up. Charon popped open the wine that was chilled in ice on the living room table. She grabbed two glasses from the cabinet. The fireplace crackled and maintained its warmth. Siobhan lay on the bearskin rug. She was so grateful to get away and have her vacation be spent with someone she cared about. Charon always made her feel better. This trip was the best thing that Charon had ever gotten her. Charon handed her the glass of wine and padded back to the kitchen area. Siobhan followed her and they began preparing breakfast. Siobhan scrambled eggs while Charon made pancake mix. Siobhan added the needed seasoning to her eggs. She was much more relaxed, feeling every bit as comfortable making breakfast with her best friend. She wished it didn’t have to be just a vacation. Siobhan whisked the eggs fervently, until they were turned into liquid, then poured the egg scramble on one of the sizzling pots on the front burner. Charon, simultaneously poured the batter. Siobhan glanced at her and couldn’t help but feel some strange but lovely feelings for her. She thought about all the times Charon was there for her.

The aroma of food swelled throughout the room. Siobhan added two sausage patties sizzling on the stove. After a few moments, breakfast was ready. They returned to the fireplace and ate. 

“That was fun,” Siobhan said cheerfully. Charon nodded her head in agreement as she put a piece of syrupy pancake in her mouth.

They each drank the rest of the bottle of wine. The stress and worry seemed to melt away as they sat on the couch behind the two chairs and watched a movie. Siobhan found herself cuddling Charon, and she did not seem to mind at all. Charon wrapped her arm around her friend. 

Siobhan’s phone vibrated with text notifications from Debra. “Where are you?” “I called the police!” 

Charon noticed the text messages from her cuddling position. 

“I’ll call her. This is ridiculous,” Siobhan said. She called her aunt. 

“Why did it take so long for you to call me?!” Debra shrieked. “I have been worried sick! And you think texting is going to help ease my worry? Is that friend with you? I knew she was bad news?”  Debra continued to rant and rave until Siobhan couldn’t take it. 

“Auntie stop it!” Siobhan exclaimed. She had never raised her voice at Debra and she was a little afraid of retaliation.

There was a tense silence on the other end. And then, “What did you say to me, girl?”

Charon squeezed her friend’s shoulder, which bolstered her confidence. 

“I am on vacation. I’m relaxing and having a good time,” Siobhan stated. Tears welled up in her eyes as she spoke. 

“When you get home, we will have to talk about this.” 

“She means guilt trip,” Charon muttered, rolling her eyes. 

“Let me talk to her, right now,” Debra demanded. 

“No, Auntie. I’m going to relax. Goodbye.” Before her aunt could get another word in, Siobhan hung up the phone.

Charon gave Siobhan a big hug. Siobhan took in a deep breath. 

“I’m proud of you,” Charon said against Siobhan’s ear. 

Siobhan didn’t know whether it was the whisper in her ear that made her feel this way or the years of true friendship between them. She looked at Charon with intensity. Chan smiled at her. Damn those prominent dimples. Siobhan pressed her lips against Charon’s. Charon pulled away and gasped. For one horrifying moment, Siobhan thought she had messed up. But, Charon smiled and kissed her back, holding Siobhan in her arms. This was the happiest that Siobhan ever felt in a long time. 

The moment couldn’t have been more appropriate to spend time in a jacuzzi that evening. The night was approaching and it was getting a bit chilly. Siobhan felt her aches go away as she sat with Charon in the warm, bubbling water. The winter wind howled outside the cabin and turbulent snow flecks flew by. 

“Are you worried about when you get home?” Chance asked, rubbing Siobhan’s shoulder. 

Siobhan sighed contentedly. She faced Charon with a look of intensity. “I am scared, but I think I can face her now.” 

“That’s what I like to hear,” Charon  said with that dimpled smile. “You know, you were right about this place feeling romantic.” Charon smiled  cheekily, her intense brown eyes boring into Siobhan.

“I love you,” Siobhan responded. And she meant it. 

Charon kissed her forehead. “I love you too,” she replied sweetly.

January 21, 2023 03:57

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

2 comments

Graham Kinross
22:07 Jan 26, 2023

Great story. There’s a typo in the title.

Reply

Ashley Taylor
02:50 Mar 18, 2023

Fixed :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.