0 comments

Contemporary Fiction Romance

(Part 2)

I pulled up at Michael’s house at five after six. Trying not to wobble in the four-inch heels I wore, I made my way up to the door and rang the bell. At least in these shoes, Michael wouldn’t dwarf me. Normally, he was almost a foot taller than I was. A guy in kakis and a polo answered the door. Brandon, I assumed. 

“Hey, I’m Jess. Uh, is Michael here?” 

“Yeah, hey,” a voice called from behind Brandon. Michael walked up beside him in the doorway. In addition to his tux, he wore shiny black boots and checkered belt. His curly hair was gelled back. And his mouth was hanging open. “Jesus Christ, are you sure you’re Jess?” 

I hid a smile, looking down self-consciously. I never wore makeup. Tonight, my lips were a deep red. Matching glittery eyeshadow was layered heavily on my lids. I wore thick eyeliner as well. My blonde hair was curled and pulled away from my face, accented by a small red flower. A similar choker was around my neck.  

“That bad, huh?” I asked. 

“Are you guys going to a high school reunion or a rock star’s after party?” Brandon said before Michael could answer. We both laughed.  

“I told you,” Michael said to him, “She’s trying to screw with some of her old high school friends.” 

“So, I take it you don’t normally look this beautiful?” Brandon turned to me. 

I shook my head. “Thank you, but no.” 

Michael snorted. “She’s underselling herself. She just looks...different.” He trailed off.  

I broke the following silence. “Well, we’d better get going.”  

“Have fun, I suppose,” Brandon said.  

“Don’t worry, we will.” Michael leaned forward to kiss his lips quickly. Then he grabbed my hand, dragging me toward his car. I think he was more excited than I was.  

“You sure this isn’t too weird?” I asked before we walked into the hotel’s ballroom. “I mean, we don’t know each other that well and I’m kind of asking a lot.” 

“Oh, it’s weird,” Michael assured me. “But it’ll be fun too. And I feel like I know you pretty well now, you know? I want to do this, trust me.” 

I nodded, handing the guy manning the door my invitation. “Switching to opposite mode,” I muttered under my breath. Michael chuckled, taking my arm.  

The ballroom looked exactly like any other dance the school put on. There were big banners with the school’s logo and our class’ graduation year. I recognized the song pounding out of the speakers. It was big when I was fifteen. There was a table inside the door with name tags. I found mine and filled one out for Michael, adding little hearts to it on an impulse.  

“Sell it, right?” I said when he looked questioningly at it.  

“What now?” he asked.  

I scanned the room, not immediately seeing anyone I knew. “How about a drink?” I steered him toward the bar.  

“I thought you didn’t drink,” Michael pointed out when I ordered us each a shot. I tossed mine back as quickly as I could, shuddering at the burning taste.  

“I do tonight.”  

“Jess?” A voice said behind me. It was vaguely familiar and I turned to see one of my old friends, Cara. I hadn’t talked to her since we’d graduated, sort of losing touch with everyone after that.  

“Hey, Cara,” I said enthusiastically. I hugged her briefly. When I stepped away, Michael took my hand. “How are you?” 

Cara smiled brightly. She was always in a good mood. “Great. And you? Who is this, by the way?” 

I turned to introduce Michael and suddenly my mind went blank, like I’d forgotten my lines in a play.  

“I’m Michael,” he answered smoothly, shaking Cara’s hand. “Jess’ better half.”  

I managed to laugh. “Yeah...uh, we’ve been together for...” 

“Two years, now.” Again, Michael saved me.  

“That’s so cute, you finish each other’s sentences,” Cara said. “Well, I’m sure I’ll see you around. You look really great by the way, Jess. I think you’re a lock for ‘Most Different’ in the superlative contest.” 

“Oh, thanks.” I wasn’t sure how to take the backhanded compliment. Cara was always a little oblivious too. She waved and walked away.  

“Superlative contest?” Michael asked. 

“Yeah, you know, like in a yearbook. ‘Best Smile’ or ‘Most Likely to Succeed.’ Stuff like that. People nominate each other and awards are given at the end of the night.” 

“Okay, well I hope you get a bunch of them. But you need to try harder if you want to pull this off. I didn’t know you were so bad at lying,” he said, mocking doubt in his voice. 

“Yeah, I sort of forgot about that when I hatched this whole plan.” 

“See, I knew I’d be carrying this charade. Come on, let’s dance before we run into anyone else and you blow the whole thing.” 

I let him lead me to the dance floor and realized another gaping flaw in my plan.  

“I can’t dance,” I muttered, leaning close so he could hear me over the music.  

“Don’t worry,” he smiled gently. “From the looks of it, not many people here can. What did you normally do at school dances?” 

“Sit,” I replied simply.  

“Well then you’re already being different. Just follow my lead.” He cocked his head, listening to the beat for a moment. Then he pulled me closer, our bodies pressed together. His arms slid around my waist. “This okay?” 

I nodded into his shoulder. He started rocking back and forth to the music, pulling me with him. His hips ground against mine the way several other couples were moving and at first, I wanted to pull away but then I remembered my plan. The old me wouldn’t have even been on the floor. This me draped my arms around Michael’s neck, hanging on him and trying to match his rhythm. The song changed but the beat remained the same. Eventually, I had to admit I was having fun dancing like this. Michael took my arms and tried spinning me. I narrowly avoided breaking my ankle when I stumbled in the heels, but we were both laughing all the same. 

It felt like no time had passed when Michael called for a break.  

“If I didn’t know any better, I’d say you were enjoying yourself,” he teased, panting to regain his breath. I wasn’t tired at all, still buzzing from the music.  

I shrugged. “Maybe I am. I’m not used to hanging out with other people at stuff like this. And you make a pretty good date,” I joked, bumping my hip against his.  

“Think anyone’s noticed you yet?” 

I considered it. “I don’t know. A few people have watched us, but mostly ones I didn’t know that well to begin with. My ex-friends are the real test. Cara definitely noticed, but she’d always been a bit of a bimbo. I wonder if she even still talks to the others.” 

“Oh, I think the word has spread,” Michael guessed, looking over my shoulder. I turned to see a tall woman in a green dress making a beeline for where we were standing.  

“Hey, bitch!” Ariana didn’t pause before pulling me into a tight hug. “Damn, JJ. I think you grew up.” Her eyes swept over me from head to foot.  

I looked down self-consciously. “Uh, thanks.” I bit my lip, not sure what else to say. 

“JJ? Can I call you that?” Michael asked, seeming genuinely curious.  

“Nope,” Ariana answered before I could. “Only I call her that. Since like ninth grade.” 

“Yep, she’s right,” I confirmed. “One day, without warning, she asked if she could call me JJ and that’s the way it’s been ever since. This is Michael, by the way.” I tugged on Michael’s hand, facing Ariana again.  

“Ariana,” she replied.  

Michael flashed her a bright smile. “It’s good to meet you. I don’t know many of Jess’ friends.” 

Ariana jumped at Michael’s subtle hint. “Well, the gang’s all here tonight. Come on.” I wasn’t sure if she actually believed we were all still friends, or if she was ignoring the fact we weren’t, but she started walking, expecting Michael and I to follow.  

“Remember, tonight you aren’t all shy and quiet,” Michael muttered in my ear. I squirmed as his breath tickled me. “I’ve been doing all the talking.” 

I leaned closer. “Alright, I’ll try to be more social,” I whispered back.  

“Guys, look who I found!” Ariana called ahead of us. Standing around the food table were Alden, Nathan, Ben, Cara, and Kathy: the rest of our group from the old days. At least recognition dawned on their faces, after a moment or so. Alden took Ariana’s hand as she stood next to him. I guess that was back on. Kathy also had a date, a guy I didn’t know, but the rest were here alone. Cara, of course, I’d already met up with. She waved.  

“Long time, no see,” I said neutrally. Michael bumped my shoulder and I added a wide smile, walking forward to hug Cara again, and Kathy.  

“Hey, Jess. You look great.” Nathan was the first to speak up. His eyes were glued to my chest, so apparently not much had changed since high school. I was a little surprised when Michael noticed and pulled me closer to him. He really was a better actor than me.  

“Thanks, Nate. You guys are looking good too.” I turned to include everyone in the compliment. Most of them looked the same as last I’d seen them, but then again, I doubt any made a conscious effort to completely change their look for tonight. 

“This reunion turned out pretty good,” Kathy said. “You helped with it, right?” 

“A little. Hailey did most of the planning, though.” 

“Oh yeah,” Ariana chimed in. “She’s been talking about this for weeks.” 

 I was about to ask if they’d seen her tonight when Ariana’s favorite song from senior year came on. She cheered and grabbed my arm, dragging me onto the dance floor. Alden still held her other hand. Everyone else followed. Ariana and I were in the center of the floor, flailing more that the song strictly required. I think Michael made me look better than I was, because Ariana cheered again.  

“When did you learn how to move?” she yelled.  

I just shrugged. “Good partner,” I called back. She nodded in agreement, eyeing Michael. I smiled nostalgically. Ariana was incorrigible.  

A slower song came on next. I had to stop myself from looking at my feet, preparing an apology in advance in case I stepped on Michael’s toes. He smoothly guided me around the floor, holding me close to him. I never noticed before, but he smelled really good. Not like cologne, but generally fresh and pleasant.  

“How do you think it’s going?” he asked.  

“Well. They haven’t said anything yet, but I can tell Ariana is dying to drag me and the other girls to the bathroom to get the scoop on you. She’s already whispered comments to Alden twice, her eyes stuck on you the whole time.” 

He laughed. “That’s a start. Just doing what I can.” He glanced at the other slow-dancing couples. It was strange to find myself among them for once. “Speaking of...” He looked meaningfully at Ariana and Alden behind us. Their faces were glued together. Several other couples were kissing as well. “Should we, uh follow their example?” 

I leaned forward slowly, giving him time to pull back if he wanted. He didn’t. Normally, I hated public displays of affection – mine or others’. But that’s why I pressed my lips against Michael’s now. My face and neck heated and I’m sure he could tell. He smiled against my mouth.  

“Not bad,” he commented casually after a few moments.  

I laughed. “Back at you.” And it hadn’t been. His lips were soft and gentle on mine.  

Michael started to lean in again, but before he could make it far, I felt a hand on my shoulder.  

“Come on, JJ, quit macking on your beau,” Ariana said, poking my side playfully. “We’re going to get some drinks.” The rest of the group was already walking toward the bar. I tried not to make a face at the thought of more alcohol as I moved to follow her.  

When we reached the bar, all anticipation of forcing down another shot left my head. Hailey and Daniel faced us, clearly thinking to meet up with Ariana and the others. My stomach clenched and I forced myself to breathe. Michael made it a little easier, squeezing my hand. Five years hadn’t changed Daniel much. A little thinner, more muscled. But the same face, same deep brown eyes staring right at me. Ariana, unaware of or ignoring the sudden tension, grabbed a glass in each hand.  

“Hey, Hail.” She handed a glass to Hailey, hugging her at the same time. She nodded to Daniel, but kept the second drink for herself. “This turned out really great.” 

Hailey smiled. “Thanks. I’ve been waiting to plan one of these for I don’t even know how many years.” 

“About five?” Michael asked innocently.  

Hailey raised an eyebrow, but maintained her smile. “Something like that. I’m Hailey, by the way. You’re here with Jessica?” 

“Yup.” Without warning, he bent to kiss me. It was brief, but somehow passionate too. Clearly engineered to get a reaction, which it did. Hailey’s smile grew wider, and if possible, more insincere. Beside her Daniel’s hands were clenched into fists, though he released them after a moment. Michael dropped my hand to shake Hailey’s. “I’m Michael.” 

“It’s so nice to meet you. This is my boyfriend,” she said, gesturing to him. Michael offered his hand once again and I winced as his thin fingers were enveloped by Daniel’s larger grip. The handshake lasted seconds, but I could tell Michael was resisting the urge to flex his fingers to get the blood flowing in them again.  

It was quiet for a moment before Nate struck up a conversation with Michael. Ben and Alden joined in. Kathy and her date were talking to Hailey and Daniel, catching up. I listened to the boys, chiming in now and again and dutifully laughing at Michael’s jokes, which wasn’t so hard. He was deceptively funny. Despite my best efforts, my eyes wandered to the other group chatting, fixating on Daniel more often than I wanted. Meanwhile, Cara and Ariana started passing out drinks. I almost eagerly accepted mine, looking for any distraction.  

“Mmm, babe, you probably shouldn’t be drinking, yeah?” 

My eyes flashed to Michael’s, widening before I could regain my composure. His gaze was locked on my abdomen. “Oh, right,” I said awkwardly. “Better not.” My hand rested unconsciously over my stomach, despite nothing within to caress. Michael took my drink, draining half of it in one gulp. Everyone else’s eyes were riveted on me. I tried desperately to think of something to break the sudden pause in conversation. It turned out, I already had. One of the rock songs I’d snuck into the playlist came on. “I love this song,” I announced, turning to Michael. Thankfully, he got the message. 

“Let’s kick it, then. Catch you guys later,” he said to the still somewhat stunned group.  

Once we were back on the dance floor, I grabbed his arm to make him face me. “What the hell are you doing? I don’t remember my being pregnant figuring into the plan.” I spoke quietly, but fiercely. His blindside nearly upset this whole charade.   

Michael seemed unconcerned. “You’re welcome. Now you don’t have to drink. You looked like you were gonna puke after just one shot.” 

I was a little taken back by his logical reason, as well as his keen observation, despite claiming I was an easy read. “Okay, fine. But you don’t think it’s a bit much?” 

“It got their attention, didn’t it? Way more effective than waiting on that self-obsessed bunch to notice casual differences in your behavior and appearance. Besides, this one doesn’t require any acting on your part, making it all the more effective.” 

I wanted to argue in defense of my theatrical ability, but he was probably right. “Let’s just hope I never have to see any of them again after tonight, or I’ll be doing a lot more acting than I intended.” 

He chuckled. “Not the mom-type?” All the while, he jumped back and forth, head banging to the driving rhythm. For once, I easily followed his example. Rock was one genre I loved to dance to. I’d been doing it all my life.  

“No, I am. Maybe, one day. But that’s a lot farther than I’m willing to go for a night of messing with people.” 

“Noted. Hard line at actual pregnancy. Honestly though, I don’t go that far on the first date.”  

I had to laugh. My nerves were still frayed thinking about the fall out of Michael’s little reveal, but for the moment, I tried to enjoy one of the only tastes of good music I’d get all night.

[End of Part 2]

November 10, 2020 00:54

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.