0 comments

Fiction Fantasy Speculative

Nora watched as the removal van pulled up outside her house, coming to a stop in her driveway. The driver opened the door and jumped down, landing in the garden. She hissed as he made his way to the front door, trampling the ground cover under his steel-capped boots.

Shaking her head, Nora sped to the door, opening it just as the man reached for the doorbell. He jumped back in shock, Nora could hear his heart pounding in his chest. The sound was welcoming to her.  

“You must be Miss Nora Blanchard,” he said, wiping his forehead with the back of his hand. “You’re stuff’s in the van.”


It had been a day since she’d moved in, boxes lay piled up haphazardly on top of one another, covering almost every surface in the living room. They were each labelled with a thick black marker. After having struggled to plug in the TV, Nora now spent her time reclining on her sofa, her arms crossed over her chest, and the blackout curtains were drawn shut. She remembered the last time she’d been in this house, how young and naive she had been back then. As the memories came and went, Nora found herself tiring, and soon she fell into a pleasant sleep.


She woke up early in the afternoon and decided to adjust the place more to her liking. After unpacking a few of the boxes labelled bathroom, she went around the house and removed the mirrors. It seemed a shame that such beautiful items had to go, but they were hardly of use to her. Seeing that it wasn’t dark yet, she preoccupied herself by removing the banisters along the staircase; they reminded her too much of the stakes she had once been hunted with. Satisfied, she pulled on her favourite coat; red velvet, and a pair of shades. Ready, she stepped out into the cold night air.


“Evenin’,” a cheerful jogger called as he ran past her.

The only recognition she gave him was a glance and the slightest nod of her head.

She made her way down the mostly deserted footpaths, lit up by street lamps positioned along various points. The neighbourhood was quite pleasant, a thing it had been far from the last time she’d been there.

Nora followed the street signs endlessly till she gave in and decided to enlist help from another. There was no use recalling her previous knowledge on the area, seeing that things had changed dramatically since.


The shop door chimed as she entered the small, enclosed space. Approaching the counter, Nora folded her hands into her pockets, her nails digging into her flesh.

“Excuse me, would you happen to know where I can find 212 Anima street?” She asked the small and pudgy man standing behind the counter.

The man looked up at her through his half-closed eyes. “Does this look like a tourist centre,” he spat. “This is a fish and chip shop! If you’re not ordering then you’ve gotta go.”

Nora frowned. “Would you like me to repeat myself?”

“I heard you the first-”

Before he could even finish his sentence, Nora whipped out her hand and removed her shades, revealing her pitch-black irises. His eyes instantly rolled back into his head, bearing the whites.

“Now,” she said. “Where is Anima street?”

“When you leave here, turn right and follow the road for a hundred or so metres. Look for the park, and then you should see the sign.”

Nora’s eyes gleamed. “Thank you for your cooperation.”

“Will you have something to eat or drink before leaving?” The man asked, unaware of what was going on. “We have a great menu.”

“Since you’ve offered,” Nora said. “I am feeling thirsty.” She opened her mouth wide, her fangs came forward, sliding down over her other teeth. Swiftly, she sank her teeth into his neck and helped herself to a light drink.  

The man remained unmoving, still under her control. As she drew away he fell forwards, his face now pale was mashed up against the counter.

Nora remained in the shop for a minute, listening to the beat of his heart. The sound echoed in her head like the slow ticking of a clock.

Before leaving, she checked the shop for cameras, there were none she could find. As she left, she swung the door open, almost knocking it off its hinges, and sped down the street, ignoring her disguise. The jingling of the bell softly faded behind her as she ran.  


When she reached the park a few short moments later, the street sign was quick to attract her eye. It stood out, a blinding white in the night. Taking a deep breath, Nora regained her composure and casually strolled down the street, all the way up to the final house.

The house resembled a coffin, in shape and colour. It stood out against the soft blues and whites of the rest of the street. Nora didn’t bother to use the front door and instead, she jumped the fence. She was greeted by a tall glossy-haired Rottweiler. It began to take a few steps back, most likely sensing danger.

“Boo.”

The dog ran away, its tail tucked between its back legs.

Nora laughed. “If you thought a dog would be enough to stop me then you were sorely mistaken, and I’m afraid it has cost you your life.”

“That was only the first line of defence,” came a husky sounding voice, hidden in the shadows by the veranda. It was a man with dark brown hair and a harsh face marred by scars and a few wrinkles.

Nora's eyes swept across the yard, taking in her surroundings. It wasn’t very large, the grass was freshly mowed, the gardens neatly kept. A few balls lay about, and a sprinkler and a slip ‘n’ slide left out in the open. There was nothing sinister, or at all threatening about the yard. Nora turned her focus back to the man.

“I knew you’d be here soon enough,” he said, shaking his head. “Couldn’t leave well enough alone, could you?”

Nora rolled her eyes. “Says the Van Helsing.”

“My grandfather told me everything he knew about you, Nora Blanchard.”

“Well, he was a gossip. How much of it do you believe?”

“Enough,” he said. “And that’s why I sent you that letter, to ensure this town’s safety.”

“What do you want of me exactly, Todd? For me to leave? I’ve only just moved here, and I plan to stay.”

“Well then,” he sighed. “It seems you’ve dug your own grave.”

Nora smiled, baring her sharp fangs. She crouched, ready to lunge at the middle-aged man, but Todd was quicker.

Without any warning, he cranked the tap positioned beside him. The sprinkler burst to life.

At first, Nora was more bewildered than concerned. That was until some of the water began to splatter against her face. A fiery agony made its way along her skin, searing at her pale flesh, and leaving her with aggressive red marks along her cheeks. Without realising it she’d walked into a trap. The water wasn’t regular tap water as she’d believed, it was holy water.

It attacked her eyes, vulnerable without her shades. Nora wailed as her vision turned red. She flung herself in the nearest direction, forgetting the slip ‘n’ slide that lay near her feet. It was lathered in a thick coat of soap. As her knees landed on the surface, Nora collided face first with the plastic, unable to keep herself upright. Never had she despised gravity more than she did now.  

She slid down the short slope, coming to a stop as she crashed into the fence. The panel she hit was no match for her strength and fell to the ground. Stunned and scratching at her eyes, Nora didn’t hear Todd approaching, holding a bucket of the water in his hands. He tossed it, and it hit its target, raining down on top of her.

She let out an animal-like shriek, loud enough to wake the dead.

“Do keep it down, the kids are asleep,” Todd said. "And, we do have neighbours."

Nora watched as her body began to crumble. It was as if she were hollow. All it took was a quick prod from the man and her skin caved in on itself, leaving nothing but a pile of sand in her wake.

Todd reached down and picked up a handful of the sand, letting it fall through his fingers.  

“I suppose we should build a sandpit here,” he said. “To commemorate you.”

“What’s all the fuss about!” Maggie; his neighbour screamed as she poked her head over the fence.

“Just the car alarm!” Todd called back.

“What a horrible noise,” the lady complained.

“Indeed.”


October 28, 2020 04:32

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.