Tusks and Daggers Part Ten: A Bittersweet Ringing of the Bells.

Written in response to: End your story with someone dancing in the rain.... view prompt

2 comments

Fantasy Romance Adventure

Today was the day of our wedding, Mary and Kara fussing over me.  Their green hair tickled my skin as they messed with my face. The white silk dress Maryanna made my breath hitch.  Blue roses lined the top of the corset top, dancing down the shimmering layer of silver lace over the a-line skirt of my gown.  My roots ached as Kara twisted my hair into a braided bun, Mary painting my face.  Cocking my brow, they made me stand up.  The silk felt soft against my skin, the lace brushing against the trembling palms of my hands.  Sir Acorn scurried in with a blue rose crown in his tiny claws, his paws setting it on top of my head.  Kissing my forehead, a soft blush rose to my cheeks.  

“Do you want me to give you away?” He queried sweetly, shifting uncomfortably in my palms. “I know that your real family is at home.” Chuckling to myself, I passed him an acorn. Patting him on the top of his head, a scowl flashed in my direction.  Pouting my lips, his face softened. 

“I would love for you to give me away.” I chirped cheerfully, a rare smile flashing in my direction. “Would you like to guide me to my future husband?”  A purr rumbled in his throat, the two of us fist bumping.  Mary and Kara lifted up my train, their white robes rustling in the morning breeze.  Boran’s eyes lit up as he caught sight of me, my breath hitching at the sight of him in his light blue tuxedo with a blue rose in his pocket.  Both of us couldn’t stop staring at each other, scarlet burned my cheek. 

“Are you ready to be together as one?” Sir Acorn whispered in my ears, Maryanna tossing a bouquet into my hands. “Don’t worry you got this.”  His chipper attitude threw me off, a knot forming in my stomach.  All of the people we helped sat in white wicker chairs lined with blue roses.  Childlike wonder brightened my eyes, they only had a couple of days to pull this together. The wedding march played, my boots practically running down the aisle.  Glancing out at all of our guests, my eyes caught Mina and Viktor in the front.  Mina’s hair was pulled into a simple side braid, blue satin hugged her hourglass figure.  Blue lace covered her arms, flaring into bell sleeves.  Viktor sat next to her, his hand holding hers.  Golden embroidery lined the edge of the black Victorian suit, a brand new top hat sitting on his head. Waving at me, Mina was wiping tears from her eyes. Tears of joy flooded from my eyes, Antler standing at the altar with a book in his hands.  Sir Acorn hopped off my shoulders, Mina and Viktor standing next to me.  The very touch of their skin made me want to hug them right there, Antler clearing his throat.  

“Do you Miss Mina and Viktor give her up to Boran?” He asked playfully, a twinkle in his eyes.  Both of them hugged me, my arms not wanting them to let me go.  The smell of home wafted up my nose, my nerves fading away. Walking up to the altar, a deep sigh tumbled from my lips.  Turning towards Boran, my hands were shaking.  Mina and Viktor sat down, Viktor rubbing her back.  Boran’s father snorted next to them, a wide grin dancing across his face.  His warthog head didn’t disturb me, it was the fact he was actually wearing a suit.  Chuckling to myself, Boran tucked a loose piece of hair behind my ear. Kissing the top of my head, everyone cooed sweetly.  A cloud of dust blew into my face, the book slamming open.  

“Welcome all to the union of our sweet Lottie and Boran.” He announced with tears in his voice, scanning the page. “Shall we begin? I am going to light the candle of light to bless this union.  After that, we will hear the couple’s vows.  I am going to ask if anybody objects in the audience.” No one said anything, his hands cupping a white candle.  

“Goddess of Light, will you bless this marriage?" He chanted calmly, a blue flame flickering to life. “Thank you, my lady.”  Bowing his head, his head turned to me.  Clearing my throat, nerves clawed at me again.  

“Boran, you crashed your way into my life. You never left my side, and became my best friend in a world of madness.  You held me when my mother died, and held my heart from the moment we met.  Time stopped the moment I saw you that day. I didn’t care that you looked weird.   Your golden heart shined through, forever becoming the light in my tunnel. ” I blubbered happily, his finger wiping away my fresh tears. “I love you with all of my heart and will never leave your side again.  So I guess what I am saying is that I, your little Lottie, vow to be your bride.” A blue light swirled around my ring finger, ebony tusks swirling into a ring.  A blue rose bloomed in the middle, both of us gasping in childlike wonder.  Boran cleared his throat, his hands cupping mine. 

“I still remember the day you showed up in our village. Your eyes twinkled with excitement, your blonde hair was liquid sunshine.  Time stopped that day when our eyes first met, my life changing forever.” He promised sweetly, tracing my cheek. “From that day on, I knew we were destined to be together for the rest of our crazy lives. I love your laugh, and your golden heart.  Most of all, I love you. I, Boran, promise to be your husband forever.” Ivory tusks curled around his ring finger, a single black dagger growing from the middle.  Antler shot us a crooked grin, winking at us.  

“By the power invested to me by the land, I now pronounce you husband and wife.” He announced cheerfully, cheers erupted in the ground. “You may now kiss the bride.”  Lord Kanama, and Lord Karama kissed their girlfriends, Merlin pulling Maryanna close to his waist.  The twins’ white suits sparkled in the morning sun, both of them shooting us a thumbs up.  His lips kissed mine passionately, him leaning me back in his arms. The bouquet dropped down the ground, time melting away. For just a second, the cheers faded away.  Blue flames circled around us, black fireworks lighting up the early morning sky.  Running down the aisle, everyone watched. Anticipation made me antsy, every bone in my body wanting to run over to Mina and Viktor.  Boran stole me away for a precious moment, his hand sliding down to my bump. 

“I meant every word I said.” He whispered softly in my ear, running his hand through his hair. “I promise to protect you both.”  My lips parted to speak, Mina rushing up to hug me.  Her arms embraced me like her life depended on it, her sweet scent relaxing me. Sliding her hands to my stomach, a proud grin brightened her face.   

“You are with a child!” She squealed excitedly, Boran smiling to himself. “I am going to be a grandmother.” Viktor and his father rushed over, the good news brightening their faces.  Sadness dimmed my eyes, a portal appearing behind them.   

“We have to go back, my dear.” Viktor stammered in a depressed tone, tears flooding from his eyes. “At least we got to see you two get hitched.  Please finish up here, so you can come home.  Bring Sir Acorn with you, I have a squirrel for him.” Clutching me close to his chest, teardrops crashed on the top of my head.  Boran was chatting with his father and Mina, Viktor pressing a book into my palm. 

“What’s this?” I wept softly, sobs wracking my body. Sighing deeply, he looked away sheepishly.  Clearing his throat, he wiped away my tears.  Smiling weakly, he kissed the top of my head. Shame dimmed my eyes, the guilt eating me alive at the fact that I ever left home.  

“It is everything I could find about this world. While your Mina was busy running things, I buried my nose into the library at my mentor’s place.  Do you remember him at all?” He questioned calmly, Mina motioning for him to get going. “One last thing, let Boran take care of the two of you.  So could you behave?  I am aware that Mina’s spirit might as well course through your veins, but you need to reign it back a bit.  I love you, little Lottie.  I won’t say goodbye, but see you later.  Goodbye just seems so final.  See you later, alligator.”  Walking away, he had one foot through the hole. 

“In a while crocodile.” I blurted out as the portal closed behind him. Fresh tears flooded from my eyes, my hands shook.  Boran’s arms held me close to his chest, rain clouds brewing above us.  Rain kissed my skin, everyone running to the makeshift pavilion.  He turned to run, my hand grabbing his arm. My bangs hid my eyes, tears mixing with the rain.  My silk grew heavy, the roses fluttering to the ground.  

“We really should go join everybody.” He urged with a worried tone, my feet remaining still. “I just don’t want you to catch a cold.” Shaking my head, I wanted to scream on the inside.  A mixture of emotions boiled within  me.   

“I don’t want to!” I barked explosively, ripping my hands away from him. “I know we will see them again, but how is it fair to only see them for a second!  The memory of my mother dying keeps playing over and over again in my damn mind!  Do you know who couldn’t be here?  It was her.  Just for this moment, I wanted her to hold me in her arms on a day like today. I don’t know why, b-” His arms clutched me close to his chest, the rain falling harder.  His kind eyes gazed down at mine lovingly, my body trembling in his arms.  

“I may not understand it, but I want to carry you through your pain.” He whispered into my ears, petting the top of my head. “I can’t replace her, but let me be your new rock.  You are used to doing things alone but you need to stop and let me take care of you.  Do you see these rings?” Lifting up my hand, he kissed my new wedding band.  Knowing that he was right, music played in the pavilion. Curtsying to him, I offered his hand. 

“Would the sir like a dance?” I teased playfully, offering him my hand. “I for one love to dance in the rain. Help me forget for just a minute, and let gaze upon your handsome face.” Taking my hand, he wrapped his arm around the small of my waist.  Heavy raindrops crashed onto my bare shoulders, the silk flying up  as he spun me around. The loose strands of my hair clung to my face, a chilly breeze lashing at my face.  Just for a moment, my pain was gone.  Blue energy swirled around us, blue roses fluttering aimlessly.  The harsh rain soaked the petals,  the music slowing to a stop.  Voices called to us, my friends waving at us.  Boran pulled me towards the pavilion, spinning me around one last time. 

August 24, 2022 02:02

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

2 comments

Corey Melin
01:57 Dec 19, 2022

Very uplifting, romantic story. Your descriptions help visualize.

Reply

Yvette Francaise
03:58 Dec 19, 2022

Thank you very much. Your feedback really encourages me to continue to write. I really appreciate it.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.