My final days before going away to college.

Submitted into Contest #53 in response to: Write a story about a teenager spending their final days at home before going away to college.... view prompt

1 comment

Coming of Age Contemporary Teens & Young Adult

I would describe my last week home before leaving for college as chaos. This year is going to be my Sophomore year which makes it a little easier compared to last year since I know what to do and what to expect but still, I was in two minds the entire week. Fortunately I had Stephanie, my best friend and college roommate to help balance the insanity. We were roommates last semester so it only made sense that we paired up again. A great roommate can make all the difference in school so when you find one never let them go. Bribe them to stay. I'm kidding but not by much.


My main concern when it comes to college life is money. Filling out my FAFSA, submitting it on time and then trying not to stress myself sick about keeping my GPA to the standard level to maintain it. My parents help me by covering whatever financial aid doesn't and also paying for my supplies. Living expenses are all on me though so in between semesters I become Scrooge and work like a dog at my job trying to save up at least 2,000 because that’s all I have to live off of for 15 weeks while at school. Before I started college I never knew how much living cost. Growing up I would just buy whatever I wanted with whatever money I made from work or what my parents gave me. I didn’t have to count coins or worry about bills. Now that I live on my own while at school I have to count everything to the penny. Dollar General becomes your friend. 


Then there’s the packing. Even though I start weeks in advance I always find myself still packing all during my last week home. It’s nuts, you’d think I was moving into my own forever home instead of a small dorm room. This is where a good roommate comes in handy. Stephanie has better appliances than I do so she’s in charge of bringing the coffee maker, microwave and small refrigerator while I bring the smaller stuff like lamps, clocks, bathroom rugs and wall mirrors. We tend to share our clothes so I try not to pack my entire closet but one thing leads to another and I always end up with three bags of clothes.


On the rare moments of downtime I allow myself I try to soak in as much time I can with my family and friends. The local movie theater basically becomes my second home, especially if there is a movie that I like I will see it twice a day until I’m absolutely sick of it and the people in it. Leaving home really isn’t that bad for me because my school is about 5 miles from my house so it’s not like I’m moving 10 hours away or someplace out of state. I just remind myself I can always call an Uber and be home anytime, even though I know in reality I can’t because of all the money on the line and it would be academic suicide but it helps me sleep at night to pretend. Leaving my dog is the hardest. I’m sad about leaving my parents too but with them I can Skype and when I’m home I don’t really see them that much anyway because they work, but Baxter is my living, furry shadow that sleeps with me every night. I cry every night for about an hour thinking about leaving him. It’s pathetic but I can’t help it. Mom surprised me this time by getting me a specially made stuffed dog that looks just like Baxter. She found a site that makes custom toys, sent in a picture of him and they made a toy matching that picture. Best thing ever.


The last couple of days home I become really restless, maybe even a little reckless, and try to score a one night stand. When I’m in school my total focus is keeping my grades up because of the money and responsibility my family put into me going to school. I’ve no time for relationships so I try to get a fling in or a one night stand in to help sustain me. Thanks to online dating apps created for just such a thing I usually have no trouble finding a match. Seems guys are looking for the same thing and some are even surprised that a girl just wants to hit it and quit it. Don’t get me wrong, if I like the guy and he wants to stay in touch after our one night stand then I’m all for it. I just lay down the ground rules that while I’m away at school there will be times I can’t talk and my grades will always come first. As of yet I don’t have to worry about any of that because I haven’t met Mr. Right, I’ve only met Mr. Right Now which is fine. I’m 23 so there’s plenty of time for a relationship and family and all that stuff. 


The final day, the day I pack up the car and head out is the toughest. Everyone pretty much has wet eyes except for Baxter who’s walking around with his tongue out, wondering why everyone is acting weird. Dad gives me money and starts giving me the safety lecture, telling me to be careful on the road. My mom then chimes in while fighting back tears to say how grownup I am and tells me not to forget to call or text her every night. I smile and nod through it, only partly listening because my mind is at school and I feel like I’m having an outer body experience standing there with them. Saying goodbye to Baxter is last and that’s when the dam breaks and the tears start flowing. Baxter just sits there and lets me blubber all over him. When my eyes dry and I can see clearly again I slide into my car and drive off, trying not to look at the rear view mirror at my waiving family and failing. 


So yeah, that’s my college experience. It’s exciting, a bit manic at times, and more than a little stressful but I wouldn’t have it any other way. 


August 02, 2020 23:48

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

1 comment

Mustang Patty
12:55 Aug 08, 2020

Hi there, This is a good discussion of getting ready to go back to school. I did notice some errors with missing commas. If you get a chance, I'm currently presenting some information on comma usage on my blog, Mustang Patty Talks Writing - www.mustangpatty1029.com. Here are a few more suggestions: READ the piece OUT LOUD. You will be amazed at the errors you will find as you read. You will be able to identify missing and overused words. It is also possible to catch grammatical mistakes – such as missing or extra commas if you read ...

Reply

Show 0 replies

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.