Shut Up or Say Yes

Submitted into Contest #50 in response to: Write a story about a proposal. ... view prompt

2 comments

General

Dean O’Malley, the heir to inherit the boss position of the family organization. His father built the gang up from scratch. Dean was determined to keep the legacy going. He knew nothing outside of the gang. The members were more than underlings, they were family. An environment that was made to give people a chance regardless of their life choices or background. A place for them to flourish without being rejected by common standards set by closed minded bigots.

Raphael Rektor, Dean’s best friend. Son to the current right hand man of the O’Malley group. Destined to stand by Dean when he succeeds the current boss. The organization took him in. Dean treated him like a person. Not a waste of space or a mistake. Dean actually enjoyed his company and the two grew close.

They were both educated on the procedures of the group. The time for them to take over could happen at any point in time. In case of the occurrence of that scenario they were prepared. They were still learning the ropes and they were consumed by their future duties.

Then Avery was born. Another person for the group to protect. She was a dazzling existence just like her mother. Giving the group something it lacked. Innocent giggles and compassion. Whenever Dean and Raphael were affected by their duties she was the first to attempt to cheer them up. No matter how heavy the responsibilities weighed, she was always their to lighten their minds. Like his father towards his mother, Dean was resolved to keep their dark underworld from consuming his sweet baby sister. Raphael shared his view.

Then Dean was murdered. Raphael tried his all to keep his friend alive. The blood was endless. Both of their clothes were crimson stained. He could feel his own body growing weak from his own blood loss. That was the last thing on his mind. His first priority was keeping Dean alive while they waited for help. Dean tried to stop him, he knew he was beyond help.

“Ale, I’m a lost cause.” Dean whimpered.

Blood was now dripping past his lips.

“No you are not.” Raphael growled.

Dean used the last bit of strength he had to grip Raphael’s blood soaked hands. He pleaded with his eyes. Raphael shut his eyes in anguish. He didn’t want to give up, but it’s what Dean wanted. He watched as the life drained from his best friend’s face. How was he supposed to face the boss? He failed to protect Dean. He deserved to die. He was not worthy of living.

As if sensing his self loathing thought, Dean attempted to pinch Raphael. The pressure was nothing to flinch at but it was a bit noticeable.

“You didn’t fail. They got the jump on-” He tried to tell him before he broke into a coughing fit.

“Don’t push yourself.” Raphael stopped him.

“Avery can’t lose both of us.” Dean reminded him.

Raphael’s heart grew heavy. Dean was right. She needed someone. He knew he couldn’t replace Dean, but he hoped that his presence would count for something.

“Remember your…promise.” Dean murmured as his breathing stopped.

Raphael stared down into his best friend’s lifeless eyes.

“I don’t think I can still keep that promise, but I will try my hardest.” Raphael affirmed as his vision grew blurry and darkness overtook him.

The next thing Raphael remembered was waking up in the private hospital room. His body ached, but it was not a foreign feeling. Then he felt a warmth on is side. He shifted to get a better look to find Avery curled up next to him. Tear tracks stained her cheeks and her nose had a rosy tint. Then the door opened revealing his father Ratchet. Relief flooded Ratchet’s features at seeing his son awake.

“I’m sorry, father. I failed.” Were the first words to leave Raphael’s mouth.

Ratchet’s expression saddened at his son’s words. Then he took it into perspective. He would have felt the same way if he was in his son’s position. He knew there was nothing for him to say to make him feel better.

“You did everything you could have done.” Ratchet tried to comfort Raphael.

The pain was evident on Raphael’s face. The tears streamed down his face as he tried to hold back his cries of guilt and loss. His body shook and his face was flushed red in an instant. He didn’t deserve to cry. He could have done something, he was just too naive. Then he felt two tiny hands touch his cheeks. They rubbed at his cheeks with the intent to wipe his tears away.

As he quieted his own sobs he heard sniffling and whimpers. He looked down to see Avery’s tear filled eyes looking up at him as she frantically wiped at his face. She too was holding herself back. She was putting Raphael first and that broke his heart.

“I’m sorry.” Raphael let out in a weep. “I couldn’t save Dean.” He apologized.

Avery’s face scrunched up as she held Raphael’s face in her hands. Then she shook his head.

“Avery.” Ratchet tried to stop her.

“But he’s being stupid!” Avery argued.

Raphael was taken aback by what just happened.

“You did everything that you could. None of us blame you. I can’t live without both of you, Ale.” She cried.

Avery broke down. Her wails echoed in the room. Her body shook and her blubbering was painful to listen to. Raphael fought the pain and embraced her small body with his. They both needed this. They both needed the warmth. A reminder of what they still had. As he held her quivering body in his, he vowed to protect everything about her. To always be there for her. He wouldn’t be able to face Dean again if he didn’t.

Life didn’t get any easier for the O’Malley group. A few months after Raphael recovered from Dean’s murder, Avery was abducted. The innocent spark in her died. Then Raphael re-instilled a sense of control. She watched as their roles were switched. They underwent every bit of torture they put her through and Raphael was glad to be executing such tasks. Since then Avery craved strength, to get stronger. Raphael aided in her desire.

She was able to rely on herself more. The constant assassination attempts on her family helped in training her as well. They sharpened her instincts and conditioned her critical thinking skills. They increased her chances of survival. Especially when her mother was killed and the gang was overpowered. She was on her own. The odds were stacked against her. She didn’t want to die that day. She was left with only one option that day, kill them before they killed her, and that is what she did.

Since then her world got smaller. Raphael refused to leave her side and her father approved of the idea. The rest of Avery’s education was carried on by the members. Instead of the common curriculum of general education like mathematics, English, science, and the likes; she was taught the mafia alternatives. Instead of world history or government she was taught the history of the mafia world. Every power struggle, every dispute for territory, every ally and enemy made was etched into her knowledge. Mathematics was represented by group profits and budgeting. Instead of learning the structure of the English language she was taught the structures of many languages including: Russian, French, Italian, Chinese, and Dutch. Science was demonstrated in the torture chambers along with the expansion of her vocabulary.

She turned into a formidable asset of the O’Malley group. The lone successor and the last hope for the organization to continue. She was going to take the family to new heights and the rest of the mafia world saw that as a threat. They were afraid of what she could accomplish, making them take action.

Her father and his right hand man were killed in an explosion. Avery and Raphael were both forced to succeed said positions. Their enemies believed that Avery wasn’t ready and would drag the rest of the group down with her. Little did they know, they were wrong.

Avery took over the organization at the age of 16. She proved to her colleagues that she was not a force to be trifled with. She went from somebody they wanted to take down to somebody they wanted as an ally. Though their allies increased, their enemies just grew more daring. It wasn’t a normal day without any sort of attempt on her life. She can’t consume anything without permission granted by Raphael, she can’t be the first to enter a room, she can’t stray far from their compound. She knew it was all necessary. She had a vision she wanted to see through.

Avery was nearly 18. She was on her way to a council meeting with her closest allies. Raphael shadowed her like any other day. She didn’t understand the purpose of the meeting. She was just informed that it was talks of the future. With the men and women who filled the meeting room, she could never figure out what they were thinking.

When they arrived the room was filled, every group was represented by at least 2 people. Normally there were chairs to spare. By the looks of the turnout, the discussion must be serious.

“Okay, now why the hell am I here?” Avery asked without reservation.

Avery might have been the youngest leader in the collection of strong heads in the room, but she was never one to hold back her words. She lacked a filter or concern for how she conveyed her feelings. It was a natural bluntness that Raphael thought suited her.

“We were hoping to discuss the future of the O’Malley organization.” Easton Vheris answered.

Easton was an ally from the time of Avery’s father. He was interested with Avery’s influence on the group. It was a completely different take to his own and he admired how far she had achieved.

“Concerning?” Avery questioned.

“An heir.” Easton replied.

Avery cocked an eyebrow. She knew that wasn’t it.

“Are you sure it’s only about an heir?” She smirked.

The room was quiet. They expected as much from her.

“Spit it out.” She roughly demanded.

“We have each provided a spousal candidate.” Easton came clean.

Avery slouched in her chair at the revelation. Leave it to these nosy people to concern themselves with her personal business. Especially if it could possibly benefit their groups.

“Let me guess, you guys aren’t gonna let me think about it either.” Avery assumed.

“We wish to hear your decision by the end of the meeting.” Easton pressed.

“I’m leaving.” Avery announced.

“Please Avery, think about this.” Alexa Silva called out.

“Are you just going to let your organization stop with you? What if your enemies succeed in their attempts to silence you? What will be left? Who will carry out your vision? Your brother’s vision?” She asked.

Alexa Silva is the same age as Dean would be. He was engaged to her younger sister. Their families were rather close due to their proposition. She was one of the few people who approved of Dean’s vision.

Avery crossed her arms and sat back down in her chair. She hated when Alexa made sense.

“Please hear us out, Avery.” Easton pushed.

Avery let out a long sigh and gestured for them to present their candidates. Most of them were relatives, the rest were trusted underlings that could provide many skill sets to the O’Malley family. A few were women with the intent of them carrying the child when the time would come.

As she perused her options she thought back to something her father told her. That marriage was not just a union, it was a team. It provided support above the rest of the members. They ensured security and sanity. Somebody you would never be able to function without. Somebody you would want to protect before yourself. Somebody you would be willing to die for as long as they continued to live. The raw emotion that shun in his eyes proved that he found it in her mother. She wanted to find that in someone as well.

She shuffled through the profiles to try and connect them with her father’s idea. She closed her eyes to get some sort of concept. The first person who came to mind took Avery initially by surprise. Then the more she thought about it, the more it made sense. There was nobody she depended on for a sense of comfort and security and simple functioning, like Raphael. Raphael was always seen as family. Then Avery began to lose pieces of herself. He was always there to piece her back together. The pieces that were beyond repair were filled by Raphael. He picked her up from her lowest points, he shielded her from the tiniest of dangers, and none of it changed the way he saw her. If she lost him, she would shatter and there would no one to pick up the pieces.

“I need a minute.” Avery claimed as she abruptly stood from her chair.

Raphael was at her side immediately. Together they walked into the lobby. Raphael studied Avery’s actions. He knew she was currently stuck in thought, he was as well. He wasn’t too keen on the idea of Avery taking on a spouse. He never understood his feelings. He knew it was inevitable, but something just didn’t sit right with him. He promised Dean that he would protect her from being swallowed up by their world. He kind of broke part of that promise, but what if her spouse resulted in her falling somewhere he couldn’t reach?

He tried to envision her with the candidates. Every outlook made him cringe. It was an important aspect to consider, but for some reason Raphael didn’t like it. Sure they were strategic suggestions, but were they really the only options? He tried to search Avery’s demeanor for answers. What was her choice? Whatever decision she made, Raphael would have to abide, he understood that. That didn’t stop his confusing feelings.

“Do you think we could go to the gardens?” Avery asked.

Raphael looked down to Avery’s eyes filled with nerves. Was she feeling pressured? Was she going to tell him? He hoped she would.

“I think it’s a good idea.” He confirmed her request.

She took his hand in her own and nodded him forward. He grasped her smaller hand in his as they began their short journey to the garden. This was a normal ritual when Avery became overwhelmed. However, this time felt different. Raphael didn’t want to let go. He wanted to scoop her up in his arms as they sat in front of the vibrant garden.

When they got there Raphael patiently waited for Avery to let go of his hand and venture through the flowers. The moment never came. Her grip got tighter.

“I don’t want to marry any of those people.” She proclaimed.

Raphael was incredibly comforted by her words. He intertwined their fingers and squeezed her hand.

“Then you don’t need to marry any of those people.” He assured her. “It’s your choice to make, not theirs’.”

Avery was quiet. Their hands still together. He waited in silence. Then Avery tugged at Raphael’s arm. He looked down to see sheer willpower radiating from her. It was something he found rather adorable when they were younger. Her eyes would burn with determination while her cheeks would puff out like a chipmunk. The strain to say something evident. When she finally opened her mouth she was mute. She pouted at the failed endeavor and tried again.

“What if…” She began.

Raphael waited for her to continue.

“I want to marry you?” She finished.

A blush overtook her face. Her face was scrunched up in anticipation as she stared into his eyes. Her bottom lip quivered as Raphael gawked in reticence. All he did was blink as he processed what she had just said. She wanted to marry him? Why did he feel so happy? Why did he want to pick her up in his arms and never let go? Why wasn’t he doing that right now?

Raphael threw caution to the wind. He was going to be selfish for once. He’ll deal with the consequences to come, he just needed to hold more than her hand.

He pulled her to his chest and quickly lifted her into his arms. Avery was startled at first and let out a very manly noise, but that didn’t faze Raphael. He brought her as close as he could get her and cupped her cheek with his free hand.

“What if I want to kiss you?” He asked her with a teasing smirk.

Her blush got darker and she seemed to almost shrink at his suggestion. He couldn’t believe how cute and bashful she was. He leaned in to brush their lips together. They were soft for someone who had a tongue that would put a military man to shame. He deepened the kiss, taking her off guard once again. Her arms and legs wrapped around Raphael as their kiss grew more passionate.

When they finally pulled away they were breathless. Avery was trying hard to catch her breath. Raphael couldn’t help but smile.

“I might not have prepared anything, but will you marry me?” Avery asked still breathing hard.

“Look at you wasting no time on proposing.” He chuckled.

“Shut up or say yes.” She pouted, clearly still embarrassed.

Raphael smiled as placed a kiss to her temple.

“Yes.” He spoke into the kiss.

July 14, 2020 22:12

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

2 comments

Jubilee Forbess
04:31 Jul 15, 2020

Awww, very lovely and sweet! Mixed with the action it made for a very fun read.

Reply

Rawn A Lynn
08:02 Jul 15, 2020

Thank you :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.