10 comments

Thriller Fiction

I was so jealous of those joyous birds and butterflies that scampered in the far-flung places. I wish I could be like them. They witnessed the beauty of nature. Actually, for me everything was mundane. Nothing new at all, but there was one thing that made me feel special, the twilight. I saw the light from the sky appeared diffused and often pinkish. I was mesmerized by the sun that was below the horizon. Its rays were scattered by Earth's atmosphere and created the color of twilight, it made my day.

   Until one day, I found out that we had new neighbors. I simply peeked slightly out of my window. I saw the angelic face of the lady who had long blond, wavy hair. She glanced at me and waved her hand. I immediately pulled my curtain back and went to sleep again. When I checked the time it was half-past six. I slept like a log. I was suddenly startled by the sound of my portable alarm clock. Ring, ring, ring, ring! It was quarter past eight. I needed to prepare for my class. 

   I heard a siren blaring outside and at the same time, my mom's loud voice made my ears exploded. While walking downstairs, I sniffed delicious food the smell seemed familiar. I hurriedly went into the kitchen. I saw my favorite hamburger, it consisted of two cooked patties of ground meat, especially the mouthwatering beef. The appetizing aroma of sizzling bacon made me starved more. Anyway, I was my mom's apple of the eye so she secured that I had delicious food to eat. 

    It was quarter past five, I passed by at the antique house of our new neighbors. She approached me and introduced herself. "I'm Lyza Ziner, nice meeting you!" with a huge smile on her face. " Glad to meet you too!" I'm Tifanny Cower. I lived across from your house. She pointed to our azure house with astonishment. I like the red roses on your balcony and the bright color butterflies that surrounded the exquisite flowers. Hope to have that one too, she added. Her brown eyes and long lashes made her more gorgeous. 

      Days and weeks passed by, we even became closer to each other. We talked about the wittiest things that happened to us. We both chuckled with our wacky faces. We spent much of our leisure time together on their terrace while drinking a glass of flavorsome banana shake, it had lots of milk that sweetened its taste. She made me feel blissful and satisfied with what I had for the first time. 

      On the next day, her mom prepared the most delicious food I had ever tasted. The Mac n' cheese and Sushi her mother was a great chef, she knew everything about recipes in cooking. The cheesy, gooey, creamy, and so delicious macaroni pasta and a cheese sauce satisfied my hungriness. "Tifanny taste this Sushi, it tastes good!" Lyza put some on my plate. "Is this a Japanese food?" I timidly asked. Her mom smiled at me. The sushi tastes of rice, mildly sweet, a bit salty, and a bit sour. "I liked it!" they both laughed at me. 

     I couldn't express in words the happiness that I felt. Lyza altered my sentiment in life. At night, we gazed at the gleaming of the moon and the glistening stars in the sky while inhaling the purified air. The light cold wind touched our skin. She asked me to close my eyes for a while, but it seemed that she took a long time. I broke out into a cold sweat. I heard the thrilling sounds downstairs. I immediately went there. I saw a tall and dark man who had deep eyes. He glared at me. My body was trembling, I saw him cut the head of Lyza's mother. The bloody head rolled to where I was standing. Her large eyeballs that popped out were made me frightened. I shouted as I could, but it seemed that no one could hear me. I gasped as I ran up the stairs. I almost collapsed. Suddenly someone grabbed my arm with an extremely cold hand. I looked at her bloody face. She was panting "We will be safe here, Tifanny." in an agitated tone. While hiding under the bed, I sniffed the slimy and stinky blood flowing on his face. She clasped my hand. I looked at her with suspicion and terror. 

     We both heard the loud shutting of the doors and the sound of counting axes. It seemed that it was near to us. She was still held my hand. She pursed her mouth in a self-satisfied smirk. I was perplexed, I didn't get her point. "Ran, faster!" I saw how the man chopped and killed mercilessly my innocent comrade. Her white dress covered with her blood-stained. Her angelic face vanished, the merry, and the colorful abode was covered with melancholy and dismay. I ran fastest without end until I saw a dilapidated cabinet, I hid behind it. I abruptly woke up because of the deafening siren of the police's mobile. I immediately ran, I want to see their bodies. I wanted to give them a peaceful burial, but I couldn't find their bodies anymore.

      My mom hugged me tightly with teary eyes. "I was looking for you for almost two weeks, where have you been?" I'm more perplexed than before. "Mom the tall man killed Lyza and her mom!" with a frightening voice. "Who's Lyza?" She was my best friend. She lived here with her benevolent mom. Her eyes were full of astonishment and anxiety. I was sobbing and insisting that I witnessed an assassination. " I'm begging you, sir find the murderer, please!" 

     "Let's go home!" my mom insisted. I didn't leave this place! I need to see their bodies. The policewomen hold me tightly. I was hysterical, my heart was full of enraged. My mom was shaking my body with pity in her eyes. " Tifanny, look at me! this house was abandoned a long time ago, no one lived here as what you have said." No one lived there with such names!"

     "You didn't understand me!" I showed you where was Lyza's body. My mom followed me. Here, here! but we didn't see anything only thick dust that covers the antique cabinet and stained wall. "Where are they, mom?" Please, help me find them!"

       When I walked up, I saw a doctor talking with my mom. I didn't know what they were talking to, my heart was full of loneliness, I was thinking of a comrade whom I considered as my sister. Where were their guiltless bodies hid? This thought bothered me a lot. When I glared at my mom's eyes, that was the first time that I saw her baffled and agitated. 

     One thing, I was certain. The doctor said, "Delusion" Was he talking about my conditions? I was only hallucinating? No! my friend was genuine so stop disputing against her! I was weeping for the loss of my friend, Lyza.


November 12, 2020 23:17

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

10 comments

Amazing job writing this story! Keep up the good work! :)

Reply

Rachel Cerbito
00:37 Nov 16, 2020

Hi, I'm pleased to hear that. Thank you so much! Hope to read more about your writing. 😊

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Claire Tennant
00:10 Nov 20, 2020

This is a believable story in a whodunnit way. The twist of delusional behaviour is also believable. You had a hint of mystery about it in every aspect. At first, I thought it was the food Tiffany was eating: tat something was mixed in with the sushi but as it progressed I was not sure. The art of a mystery thriller Well done

Reply

Rachel Cerbito
02:02 Nov 20, 2020

Oh, thank you so much for such great words. Hope to read more of your writing. 😊

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
00:33 Nov 18, 2020

Whoa! Keep it up, Bebe. 😘❤️

Reply

Rachel Cerbito
00:50 Nov 18, 2020

Bebe 💞 🤗 thank you for your encouragement.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Nandan Prasad
02:44 Nov 17, 2020

Hey, this is such a good story! I loved the concept and your writing style. Just one thing I'd say is to maybe clear up the dialogue tags because it was a bit hard to follow. Otherwise, it was great and keep writing!

Reply

Rachel Cerbito
13:51 Nov 17, 2020

Oh, thank you very much for spending your precious time reading my story. I'll take your advice. Thank you for that! It was such a great encouragement.

Reply

Nandan Prasad
01:59 Nov 18, 2020

No problem, happy to help! If it's not too much trouble, though, would you mind checking out my latest story? Thanks!

Reply

Rachel Cerbito
04:01 Nov 18, 2020

Oh, sure no worries about that. I will.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.