0 comments

Mystery

Jack Out Of The Box

    With Jack being out of the box I knew that more people would be in danger of getting trapped in here with us. This meant that me, Alex and the girls would have to find a way out.

    After Jack had taken over Alex’s body, Alex was zapped into the box with the rest of us, except he was in Jack’s body, it was freaky to see him like that. I forgave Alex for what he had done, he really didn’t have a choice, jack was obviously controlling him as much as he could, and I knew he wouldn’t be a threat to us. The thing we were most scared of was peo]ple starting to realize we were missing and at some point, call the police. Once we’d found a way out, there would be no way we could ever explain it to anyone; who would believe that a Jack in a box had trapped us? They’d lock us up and throw away the key. Anyway, the box was almost like a Tardis, you know? like in Doctor Who; bigger on the inside. It was empty with a spring in the middle; I’m guessing it was what Jack would have been attached to.

    It was hard to tell how much time had gone by, but we tried to keep track as best we could. We estimated that we had been trapped for about three days. As far as we knew, Jack hadn’t done anything out of the ordinary; he never even checked on us. We had been questioning Alex to see how much he knew about Jack, and what he was. “Is he human? a possessed toy?” Alex didn’t respond to any of us. Jack was doing well at blending in at the school; not raising any concerns; yet. Alex was sat in a corner of the box, in his own little clown outfit, he was doing what he did best; mumbling to his-self. I gently approached him and started to ask him some more questions; he ignored me. “Alex! We need your help, we can’t escape without you” Alex was the only one who knew what made Jack tick, I knew deep down that Alex knew a way out for us, but he was too afraid to act on it. A couple of hours went by and I decided to approach him again, this time he looked up at me, “Alex, we need you to help us” he shook his head, “you can do this Alex” I reassured him the best I could. I wasn’t getting anywhere with him, so I went and sat in my corner of the box. Suddenly Alex jumped up and started moving towards the spring in the middle, he climbed on and crouched down with his head looking up at the box. What the hell was he doing? A few seconds later; the box was opened. It was Jack peering inside for the first time since he’d trapped us in. He started to speak, in Alex’s voice, “Good little clown, I hope your behaving in there” As he spoke, I realised something, if Jack was speaking in Alex’s voice, then Alex must speak in Jack’s voice, maybe that’s the reason he didn’t want to say anything. “Alex? Are you ok?” I asked; hoping he would finally speak. Jack had heard me, “Shhhh you little weasel” I stayed quiet and went back to my corner; I didn’t want to make him angry. The other girls hadn’t moved from where they were sitting; too scared I guess. Jack slammed the box shut and Alex remained on the spring, this time with his head down. Once again, I decided to try and get him to talk, “Alex? I know you’re in there, please talk to us” He took us all by surprise when he started speaking, “He’s going to trap more of you” it was scary hearing him talk in Jack’s voice, but I tried to not let I bother me too much, it was Alex not Jack and I just had to remember that. He didn’t say anything we didn’t already know but, how did Alex know what Jack was planning to do? We had to have been missing something; something obvious, but what was it? After a couple of hours it hit me, Alex was connected to Jack, how else would have been able to control him? I’d worked it out and now we could find a way out of there. I went up to Alex and started asking him loads of questions. He only answered a few but it was enough. Alex had told me that he could hear what Jack was thinking and what he was going to do next. Alex looked exhausted and so I suggested he move away from the spring and relax a little, he agreed and went and sat in his corner. I could see Chelsea staring at him; giving him evils, I could tell she was still terrified of him. “Chelsea? Why don’t you go and keep Alex company?” She looked at me in fear, “I….I…..I don’t want to.” I went and sat next to her, she was on the opposite side of the box, far away from Alex, “you know that’s Alex right? not Jack, he’s not evil” I tried reassuring her and managed to convince her to sit with Alex. Poor Alex didn’t know what to do, he was just a shy, timid kid with a beautiful girl sat next to him; I felt like I was match-making. After a while Chelsea seemed to calm down and made conversation with him, I didn’t hear him say much back, but he was trying. “Alex can you tell me what Jack’s next move is going to be?” he shook his head, “I…. I can’t hear his thoughts anymore” hmmmm, ok so maybe he’s only connected when he’s attached to the spring? “Alex, get back on the spring for me” he was reluctant but wanted to help and so he made his way over to the spring and got in position. “Just concentrate on Jack’s thoughts, not your own” I didn’t want Jack to find out what we were planning. He focused, and Jack’s thoughts came flooding into his brain, “ok Alex, once you have the information, un-attach yourself” He did so and stood with the rest of us. “He’s after a boy, a boy called Chris, he’s going to follow him after school and trap him” Chelsea spoke up, “that’s my boyfriend, he’s after my boyfriend! We’ve got to stop him!” for the first time ever, Stacey said something “we need to act now!” we were all a little shocked by her outburst, but we knew it was triggered by fear. “Ok, so how are we going to do this? Any ideas?” Alex went over to the spring, “Alex? Do you have an idea?” he nodded and said “trust me” we watched him attach his-self to the spring and he sat there really concentrating; he was there for hours. We must have fallen asleep for a while because when we woke up Alex was pacing up and down, “I did it!” he shouted, “What did you do?” I asked “I controlled him, I stopped him from talking to a young girl, its only a start but I did it” I knew exactly why he was so happy, it meant that at some point he could fully control Jack and stop him from taking chris, and maybe even get us out of the box.

    Alex kept trying and each time, he was more and more successful. He started off small, stopping him from doing little things like talking to someone, and then he progressed to controlling jack’s movements. Alex was having a rest and the roof of the box flung open, “think I don’t know what you’re doing? Ha! Well, I do and there’s no way you’re going to stop me!” Alex! Get on the spring, now!” Alex jumped up and ran over to the spring, he looked up at Jack, “Can’t stop you? Ha, we’ll see about that!” Alex concentrated and forced Jack to close the box, we could hear Jack trying to open it again, but Alex was too strong for him. Jack finally gave up and Alex moved off the spring, “it has to be now, we have to stop him now!” Alex had a plan, he was going to stay attached to the spring and gain more and more control over jack as time went on, he’d wait until he made his move on Chris and then boom! Everything would be back to normal; if it all went to plan of course.

    Alex had been attached to the spring for two days, Jack was waiting for the right moment to take action, he knew that we were on to him and that he would have to be careful. Another day went by and Alex looked drained, but he insisted on not moving, “it’s what he wants! As soon as I un-attach myself, he’ll head straight for Chris” we were starting to lose hope, Alex was getting weaker and weaker but still refused to un-attach. Just as all hope was lost; Jack made his move! “its time! He’s doing it now!” Alex shouted. There was nothing me and the girls could do; it was all down to Alex. We waited and waited, and waited some more until finally, Alex un-attached his-self, he collapsed to the floor in exhaustion, “I stopped him” Me, Stacey and Chelsea started jumping up and down with excitement, “does that mean its over now?” Chelsea asked. “No, we now have to get him back in the box while I still have complete control over him; I just need a minute to recharge” He caught his breath and got back on to the spring, Jack was just as exhausted as Alex, he was giving it all he’d got to stop Alex controlling him but it wasn’t working anymore; Alex had taken over completely. Alex got Jack to open the box; he looked him straight in the face as he controlled Jack to say…….. “Jack, back in the box!”

    He’d done it! He’d got Jack back into the box and his self out of the box, the only problem was that we were still trapped in the box with……Jack! We were confident that Alex would get us out, he’d got us this far; we trusted him. Jack would torment us, laugh in our faces, he thought he’d still won, he’d got us trapped in the box with him, but what he didn’t know was, that we knew we’d remain in the box with him and had come up with a plan to get out. It was a long shot and we didn’t know if it would work but it was time to put the plan into action. Alex opened the box and looked in on us, “you ready?” Me, Stacey and Chelsea held hands and attached ourselves to the spring, Alex then commanded us out of the box and……. It worked! We were free, but it wasn’t all over just yet. We had one more thing we would have to do, to make sure Jack could never be a threat ever again. The spring got destroyed once Alex commanded us out because of how much power it took, and so the last thing we had to do was remove the handle, Jack would be trapped inside the box forever with no way out and no way for anyone to get sucked in.

    One year later and Jack is still trapped in the box under the supervision of the almighty Alexander Jenkins; it’s what he likes to be called now; him and his big ego! We obviously had to come up with an explanation for where we had been all that time. We all got our stories straight and came up with that we went for a walk in the woods and got lost, simple I know but it was also believable. Everyone was mad at us, but were more relieved that we were safe.

October 25, 2019 14:45

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.