4 comments

General

It was a day of extreme dread for Kyle and Jonathan. How could their big day be here already?

Kyle had been dreading this day for months. It was the day he had to go to the orthodontist to start his braces treatment. “Mom, do we really have to go today? It is the first day of summer break. I am supposed to be having fun with the guys. We were going to ride our bikes to the pool, play baseball, then basketball, and Joey’s mom is making bagel dogs for lunch. You know, the doughy kind that you dunk in mustard. This is the pits!” Kyle yelled angrily.

“Oh, Kyle, you know Dr. Garton really wanted you to start your braces treatment after the first of the year. We put him off a long time saying your school schedule was too hectic and we couldn’t fit in the visits,“ Kyle’s mom explained sympathetically. “There will be other days to play ball and eat bagel dogs with extra mustard.”

“Rats! What is up with those nasty dentists? Are they out to ruin our lives?” asked Kyle with disgust.

“Now, Kyle, Dr. Garton is a very nice man. He wants you to have a healthy, nice-looking smile, “Kyle’s mom protested. Let’s load up in the van and make the drive to Granville before we are late.”

Meanwhile, on the other side of town, Jonathan sat in his cozy bedroom and plunged his head face down on his fluffy superhero pillow. Unfortunately, he heard his dad’s booming voice, “Come on, Jonathan. It’s time to go.”

“Maybe if I don’t answer, Dad will leave me alone,” Jonathan said to himself hopefully. “Maybe he’ll end up forgetting all about the appointment. Oh, I hope he gets a work call soon.”

That did not work. His dad forcefully climbed up the stairs and stormed into Jonathan’s room. “Hey, Buddy, it’s time to go.”

“Dad, do we HAVE to go?” Jonathan pleaded.

“Jonathan, you know we have to go today. Dr. Alonso explained that you need to get your braces on your teeth before more permanent teeth come in and mess up your entire bite,” clarified his dad.

“Dad, I really don’t want to go! It is going to hurt so much. I don’t think I can take it. You know I don’t like pain,” Jonathan moaned.

“Oh, Johnny Boy, it will be okay. Kids get braces all the time. Let’s head over to Granville. I promise we’ll get ice cream on our way home,” Jonathan’s dad encouraged as he put his hand on Jonathan’s shoulder.

“Can I get two super-duper scoops?” Jonathan begged pathetically.

With a smile  and a laugh his dad replied, “You bet, Buddy. Say goodbye to your superhero friends, and let’s go.”

Kyle dragged himself up to the green door with the big white tooth on it at Granville Orthodontics. When his mom checked in at the reception desk, she was told they were running a little late. Kyle sauntered over to look at the mega-sized aquarium with tropical fish to have a look.

Jonathan held his dad’s hand while they walked into Granville Orthodontics. Jonathan was almost glued to his dad’s leg while they checked in at reception.

“Okay, Buddy, it’s going to be a short wait. Why don’t you go look at that cool aquarium?” Jonathan’s dad suggested.

Jonathan almost tip toed over to the huge aquarium. You could walk all the way around it to see all four sides. He was admiring the cool fluorescent-colored fish while he was walking around the aquarium. He did not even notice Kyle as he moved to the back side. The boys bumped into each other with a thud.

“Oh, sorry. I did not see you. I was looking at the tropical fish,” explained Jonathan.

“No problem. I was just standing here trying to figure out what’s inside that creepy treasure chest,” chimed Kyle. “Maybe It’s the kids who don’t cooperate while getting on their braces. They throw them in there and throw away the key!”

“Do you really get in trouble in there?” Jonathan questioned with fear as he pointed to the entrance. “I’m not sure I’m going to be able to sit still that long or hold my mouth open for hours.”

“Naw. I was just kidding. I heard these teeth people are actually pretty cool. I am just really bummed that this is how I have to spend the first day of summer vacation. I want to be playing outside with my buddies. We had BIG plans for today,” Kyle complained.

Jonathan thought for a moment and replied, “Well, at least there is air conditioning in here. And this aquarium is pretty cool. It almost makes me think of the beach at the ocean.”

Kyle shrugged and said, “Yeah. I guess so.”

Two ladies in masks stood at the entrance door. The taller lady with the pink mask said, “Well, it looks like you guys have already met. Jonathan, Kyle, ready to join Team Braces?”

Kyle looked at Jonathan and suggested, “How about we go get this done? We’ve got other things to do, places to go and people to see.”

Jonathan hesitated but followed Kyle through the door with a slight wave to his dad in the waiting room.

The boys were seated near each other in big chairs that lifted the boys up. There was so much going on with hands in and out of their mouths, and wires wrapping around everywhere, so they could not see each other very well. The crew on Team Braces worked like a well-oiled machine. Each team member had his or her own job. It was seemed like all the orthodontists did was give everything a once over, told the boys to avoid sticky foods, brush often and come back in a month. And he is the one who makes the big bucks!

Jonathan finished first. He had just walked over to where his dad was sitting reading a magazine about cars when the door creaked opened, and Kyle marched out.

They both smiled at each other, shining their new metal brackets at each other.

Kyle was the first to speak, ”Hey, Metal Mouth.”

Jonathan hesitated. Then he laughed and blurted out, “How’s it going, Brace Face?”

As the boys laughed together, they realized their day of dread ended up being not so bad. They each made a new friend on Team Braces.

July 07, 2020 22:02

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

4 comments

Stan Konwiser
21:33 Jul 15, 2020

I enjoyed the dialogue. The story makes me curious about Kyle's mom and Johnathan's dad. Are they single parents? Do the two boys bring them together? Tantalizing thought.

Reply

Kay DiVerde
21:42 Aug 13, 2020

I hadn't thought about that. I envisioned the parents already being married, but that would be a great twist. Thanks for the suggestion.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Eve Naden
21:09 Jul 15, 2020

I love the way you create brilliantly paced dialogue. Your story is succinct and wonderfully written.

Reply

Kay DiVerde
21:42 Aug 13, 2020

Thank you.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.