2 comments

Romance

Love. So many people have confused this beautiful ever existing phenomena with emotion, infatuation and even pain. But Love is none of these things.

Love is a pure ever flowing energy that has existed from the beginning of time. It is available to all who want it.

Love is neither prejudiced nor biased but it is honest; it is very very honest.

My name is Nan and today I will tell you a story about a thing that happened between two people. There was love present, and there still is love there but I want to share with you how love was mistaken for many things which it is not. These things were hurt, malice, confusion, hatred and bitterness.

This thing happened between two people I know. But I am sure you will attest that it has happened between people you know too. There is something special in this story though, and you will see it at the end. Please tell me if you do.

Mabel was beautiful. I don’t mean the inner kind of beauty that you get to see once you really know a person. I mean she was beautiful on the outside on every inch of her heavenly carved body. Mabel had brown hair that glistened gold in the sunlight. She had light freckles that dotted her face at just the right spots and her lips were the slightly pouted kissable kind. When she walked the downtown streets of Freeport, she captured every eye. It was the same through the halls of Michael Eldon high school.

Gunter was a country boy. He grew up in the rural outskirts of Texas on a farm. When his father got the offer to move his small but progressive firm to the Island, the whole family moved. Gunter wasn’t what you’d call a handsome man right off the bat, but he was very attractive because of the confidence he exuded. He grew up around horses and men as tough as those horses. Some say that type of environment makes a man out of a boy real fast.

This story is about Gunter and Mabel.

It was the first day of school after a long hot summer break and it was the first day that Gunter saw Mabel. Gunter watched her from a distance, taking in her every move. She looked a lot older than she really was but he could tell she was still very young and very inexperienced about the ways of life. That didn’t waver his attraction for her

Gunter brushed past Mabel in the school corridor all week. She took no notice. She was more absorbed in the simple conversations she was having with her girlfriends. She talked as much as she listened. Gunter wasn’t ready to be noticed quite yet so he walked with his head slightly down. He just wanted to observe her.

It was December. Gunter was in love. It is true that his first attraction for her was physical. Her beauty did catch his eye. But now it was different. Gunter knew some things about Mabel now.

Mabel was born to be a star. She craved being the center of attention. She understood her beauty attracted others to her and she used this to her advantage. Mabel liked to talk about herself-sometimes endlessly. She flaunted her good looks and her ability to sing. Mabel liked wearing fashionable clothing and putting out the impression that her family were a well to do bunch. Gunter knew otherwise. Mabel’s dad worked as a manager in a local food store and her mom sold jewelry from home. It seemed that Mabel inherited her deep self-love from her mother.

How did Gunter come to know these things? Well it’s the sort of information you can find when you can hire folks to uncover stuff. Gunter’s father practiced law, and did well, but truth is their family was well invested in horses and cows and the proceeds of these animals. They were low profile but they were what you’d call wealthy folks.

Gunter was ready to make his move. He had thought it out but there really was no head ache about it. Gunter was a simple man. For him love was a lifetime affair and not something to be hasted about.

Here is how it went.

Mabel walked into the classroom. It was almost time for the lesson to begin. Then she saw it laying ever so carefully on her desk.

It was one long stem red rose.

Mabel looked around and scanned the faces in the class. Some were staring back at her in anticipation that she could solve the mystery. Others didn’t seem to be concerned at all.

“Take a seat and let’s begin.” The teacher announced. Mabel sat with the rose in her hand. She was obviously touched and intrigued. She glanced around the class one more time before placing the rose again across her desk. She wanted to keep it in view.

The next day Mabel was walking the corridor of the school with her girlfriends. The chatting was never ending with them. Mabel stopped at her locker. Something was poking out of the corner. She pulled it out. It was a note.

I know you like roses. I tried to find one as beautiful as you- hard task. Have lunch with me in the Caff today.

Mabel’s heart skipped a beat.

She looked around but like yesterday she knew he wasn’t in sight.

“What’s that?” Laura asked peeping over Mabel’s shoulder.

“It’s my mystery guy.” Mabel said proudly tucking the note into her purse.

“Mystery? Yeah, some bum or shmuck trying to impress you. Does he know who you are?” Laura said with the air that high school popular girls always seem to have.

“We’ll meet today. I’m excited.” Mabel said with girly flutter.

“Excited? Don’t be. The guys on your list have been after you since junior high and we already know how they stack up. Brad’s family owns the Crown Plaza and Rick’s father is the most respected doctor in the city. Let those two grovel over you until you make a decision.” Laura flipped her dark hair and then adjusted the bangs at her forehead.

Mabel smiled. “I know but I have a feeling about this one. Maybe it’s someone we don’t know about.” She giggled.

Laura shook her head. “ Anyway, there’s a new shop in the mall opening for Christmas gifts and trends this weekend. Are we going?”

That started a new conversation. Mabel and Laura did what they knew best. They discussed fashion, trends, what they would wear the next day and how amazing they were.

Gunter sat with his lunch tray in the cafeteria and waited. He had never experienced nervousness over a girl before but then there never was a girl that he loved before. He watched the entrance patiently.

Mabel, Laura and Alice walked in. They stood in the cafeteria entrance for a minute as they always did every lunch break and scanned the room deciding where to sit.

“Do you think he’s here already?” Mabel asked shyly.

“I honestly hope he came and went. Look there’s Brad over there and Rick is at the other end of the room. Which one do you want today?”

Mabel left Laura scanning the room and she joined the food line. The three girls picked up salads and a fruit. Mabel led them to an empty table in the center of the room.

Gunter watched and waited.

When the lunch break was almost over, Gunter stood up and walked towards the girls.

“I told you that looser wasn’t coming. He couldn’t even afford a dozen roses. That’s a hint Mabel.”

“I think its…romantic.” Mabel said with a little disappointment.

Then Gunter was at the table. He stood behind Mabel.

Alice and Laura looked up. “What do you want?” Laura asked.

“I’m Gunter. I came to meet Mabel.”

Mabel froze. It was him. He came. The sound of her name coming from his voice sounded and  felt right.

Laura looked him up and down. There was nothing striking to her.

“Maybe we should take a walk.” Alice suggested to Laura.

“Take a wa…?” Laura started but was cut off by Gunter.

“That’s a great idea Alice.” Alice was stunned. He knew her too. It caught her off guard but she liked it. Alice stood and pulled Laura away with her.

Gunter came from behind Mabel and sat across from her.

It was her first look at him.

Mabel was fixated and the butterflies did a dance in her stomach.

He wasn’t handsome like Rick or Brad, but there was an attractiveness about him that was so strong Mabel felt like the south pole of a magnet that he was north of.

Mabel looked at him unable to look away. He smiled a half smile and her heart fluttered.

Then the bell rang.

Gunter got up to leave. For the first time in her life, Mabel was speechless.

“There’s a coffee shop in the mall on south street. I can meet you there at 4:30 if you’re available.”

Mabel starred at him dumbly.

“ Are you?” Gunter demanded gently.

Mabel nodded.

And that’s how it began. Some call it fate and scientists say there are invisible molecules called pheromones that draw two people together. Whatever it was-it was.

Gunter and Mabel spent more and more time together. Gunter wanted to take her all in. She was conceited and vain and beautiful and he loved that about her.

Gunter didn’t talk much about himself but Mabel learned a lot from him and about him from his mannerism, his tone and the few things he said when she asked him questions.

It was love-pure , unadulterated and unassuming; accepting one another as they were.

But it was not to be for very long.

“I think we should tell her.” Laura said adamantly.

“Tell her what and why?” Alice said trying to sound uninterested and hoping to change the topic.

“She’s been spending her time with that looser for the whole year now. She doesn’t even know about his family- some country folk that ride horses in their spare time. She’s making a mistake. Why would she give up on Brad for that…thing?” Laura screamed in frustration.

“It’s not our business and…”

“Not our business? What kind of a friend are you? She is temporarily blind and forgetting what’s important.  I am putting an end to this! Her life and her future are at stake here.” Laura stomped off.

It was the last days of school. Graduation was in two weeks and everyone was excited. Graduation practices were mandatory. Laura knew everyone would be there.

“I have an announcement. And I need some feedback from you. Settle down everyone.” Laura spoke into the big microphone. She was standing on the auditorium stage addressing the senior class members as the graduation chairwoman.

“The yearbook is coming out in a week and we need to settle a few points. Listen up and let’s have a vote then. For the category most successful who are the nominees please.”

Someone shouted in the crowd. “Brad for sure!”

Another said, “No, it’s Rick. Rick for most successful.”

There were several cheers on both names.

“I will take those two names then.” Laura said making a show of jotting it down.

“And most successful couples?”

The senior crowd went wild. But there was a resounding female name.

“Mabel and Rick…”

“Mabel and Brad…”

“Mabel, Mabel…”

“I guess I will have to take both of those names. Mabel it’s going to be a tough pick between Rick and Brad for prom won’t it?” Laura giggled into the microphone.

Brad and Rick were beaming in the crowd and at once they made their way to Mabel.

The crowd suddenly started chanting…

“Brad or Rick for prom.”

Mabel was blushing. She loved the attention. All eyes were on her. She looked from Brad to Rick and then from Rick to Brad. Mabel had forgotten about Gunter.

Gunter stood at the back of the auditorium. He watched Mabel’s face and something inside him started to break.

“The crowd is waiting Mabel. I think we have to make a decision right now to satisfy this crowd.” Laura laughed innocently.

“Will it be the Crown Plaza Prince or the Doctor extraordinaire to be?” Laura hummed the tune of the jeopardy show.

Mabel smiled her winning smile and looked from one boy to the next. Which title sounded best?

“I will be your prom date…Brad.”

The senior crowd exploded with cheers and Brad beamed from ear to ear.

That hit the final nail in the coffin.

Gunter left the auditorium. It only mattered if one special person had noticed; but she did not.

The two weeks to graduation went by quickly for Mabel. She was so engrossed in planning for prom and the graduation. She hardly noticed that Gunter was no longer around. Laura made sure that whenever she had a spare moment , it was filled with thoughts of being prom queen.

As it happened, Mabel and Brad went to the prom- and they were crowned prom king and queen.

Mabel had her first taste of stardom.

Mabel and Brad married a year later. Mabel had her trophy life and Brad his trophy bride. She enjoyed the best in fashion and travel and even recorded a few songs with her lovely voice.

Do you think the story ends there? No it doesn’t. The end is bitter-sweet.

Gunter put on his cowboy hat and got into his truck. The concert was tonight. He had a back stage pass. Would she recognize him?

The concert was great. He had been following Mabel’s musical career for all his life. Her music changed over the years and he enjoyed it more and more now. It seemed to have gotten more mature and sobering since her divorce. He knew he could be speculating but he didn’t care- dam it she was better now than ever before!

The concert was more than he expected, being there in person made him feel things he hadn’t felt in over forty years. He never married and he could never keep a relationship longer than three years though he tried with several women. It was never right for him.

Gunter waited until the back stage pass guests were all leaving. Mabel was in her dressing room. He stood at the door and watched as she picked up the single red rose from her dressing table.

“I know you like roses. I tried to find one as beautiful as you- hard task. Have lunch with me in the caff today.”

Mabel turned around so fast her hair slapped her gently in the face.

She almost ran to him- but how would that look.

Gunter felt it too. The same strange attraction that held him all those years back.

He folded. Gunter walked up to her and hugged her. Mabel hugged him back. Tears welled up in her eyes and she held onto him so he wouldn’t see.

“It’s you?” she chocked out.

“I didn’t know if you’d remember me?” Gunter said.

“How could I not?” Mabel said almost offended.

They stood like that for a long time.

“Mabel I…” Gunter began but she cut him off.

“I’m sorry.”

“I was so selfish and conceited back then. I didn’t…”

“Back then…you were everything I loved- conceit and all.” Gunter chuckled.

“I chose fame and fortune…over love. I…”

“…and I hated you for it. But here we are-again.” Gunter concluded.

They held on like that for a long time.

This was the story of Gunter and Mabel. The love they had for each other was true and eternal. Sure they got side tracked by other things that confuse us and send us the wrong way in life. But they are amongst the lucky ones finding something that was just forsaken for a while.

THE END

August 13, 2020 10:12

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

2 comments

Deborah Angevin
10:28 Aug 14, 2020

I love the fact that you used Nan as the narrator, explaining things between Mabel and Gunter. I enjoyed this, Madisson! P.S: would you mind checking my recent story out, "Grey Clouds"? Thank you :D

Reply

Show 0 replies
20:46 Aug 25, 2020

That was sooo goood! I loved the whole narrator part. I like how they grew in the end and love won out in the end! this is beautiful!

Reply

Show 0 replies
RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.