31 comments

Fiction Science Fiction

I dunno why I'm posting these so often, I guess I'm bored.

__________

Rune’s ears pricked upright as he heard a sound in the darkness, coming from the direction of the forest. He glanced over, seeing nothing. Rune stood and peered into the woods. Then, he saw it.

Two, glowing, massive canine eyes. Then four, then six, eight, ten. The owners of the eyes emerged and Rune nearly fell over in surprise. They were like wolves from earth, but super-sized. Probably standing at twenty feet at the shoulder, they were bigger than anything Rune had ever seen before.

They were Anarii, beasts of great size, and they weren’t friendly. The five beasts crept from the woods, growling deep in their black and blue furred chests. As they approached, Rune could see massive, slightly transparent spines along their backs and crowning their heads.

They crouched down, bowing their heads. Rune watched in curiosity, wondering what they were doing. But, quickly catching on, he dove to the ground as the massive spines impaled the ground where he was just standing. His suspicions were correct, they were not friendly.

Studying them, Rune clenched his jaw, thinking. He could morph to the anarii, but it would drain a lot of his energy. Morphing into something that large would exhaust him, but at least he could stand a chance against the angry beasts.

In seconds, Rune’s silhouette stretched and grew, roaring in discomfort as he morphed fully. Now as big as the anarii before him, Rune leaned down as he had seen them do.

When morphed into an animal, it was like he had two brains. The animal and the sarsh, he could think as both, controlling his body, but still have intelligent thoughts.

Five blue spines shot from Rune’s thickly furred back, only one struck its target. The anarii roared in anger and lunged for Rune, who bounded out of the way on powerful legs. Already, he was getting tired.

The one injured anarii crept away, the others even angrier. Within seconds, Rune was fighting four snarling beasts at once, the fire blazed behind them, casting shadows of the struggling titans on the ground.

Watching through a camera placed near Rune on the other planet, Artemis and Colden cried out in shock as the massive beasts clashed. “Can we get him now? He won’t survive long out there!” Artemis was already rushing away, calling to several men. Moments later, the same ship rocketed away, going as fast as possible.

When Colden had dropped Rune off, he asked one of his men place a camera nearby, this is how he and Artemis watched Rune from afar. Now Artemis held a small screen, watching Rune’s struggle.

He clenched his jaw nervously.

If Rune lost the fight, Artemis would have no way to free humans from their oppression. The fate of humans rested on his shoulders.

Back on the planet, Rune inwardly cursed Artemis as his movement became clumsy. It was the rebel’s fault he was in this situation.

His morphing would probably fail soon. If it did, he would be dead. Dinned into his soldier mind, Rune thought the best thing to do was fight, but as a claw racked his side, he realized running would be more tactile.

So the sarsh turned and ran.

Artemis had said Rune might find peace here, alone on the frosted planet. He was so, so wrong. Rune morphed back to himself, unable to hold the form of the anarii and longer. He stumbled, cursing as he acutely felt pain in his side where the anarii had clawed him. It wasn’t an open wound, though. The anarii had thick scales beneath their equally thick fur, so the claws left only five raw scrapes that stung.

Rune realized the anarii surrounded him. He cursed heartily. He had gotten side-tracked and now he was going to die. He couldn’t morph anymore, panic befuddled his mind. The four beasts were snarling, morphing had drained Rune’s energy, leaving him unsteady and weak.

Before he could react, the largest of the anarii lunged, pinning Rune beneath its massive paw. The sarsh wheezed, feeling his ribs creak in protest at the immense weight on top of him. The anarii’s slavering muzzle was only a foot above Rune’s face, massive teeth gleaming red in the firelight. It didn’t move, though. It was playing with him.

Suddenly, the weight released, Air rushed back into Rune’s deprived lungs. The black edges disappearing from his vision.

Trying to rise, Rune suddenly felt a powerful blow to his back as the anarii struck him with its paw, sending him tumbling to the next anarii in the circle. Great, Rune thought. They were playing ball with him now.

April 07, 2021 21:40

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

31 comments

Maraika!!! 😎
19:10 Apr 15, 2021

To anwser your question in your bio I would obviously be team Cap! Like it just makes sense and all the best characters are on his team.

Reply

Creed .
19:21 Apr 15, 2021

Me too! (obviously) You are totally right!

Reply

Maraika!!! 😎
07:02 Apr 16, 2021

Lol thanks. :)))

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Palak Shah
10:07 Apr 15, 2021

Great story Bucky and this has fab description. Well done !!! Could you please read my latest story . Thanks :)) ~Palak Shah

Reply

Creed .
13:21 Apr 15, 2021

Thank you, I will!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Megan Sutherland
20:04 Apr 13, 2021

This was... wow. Hey, Bucky! You read one of my stories a while ago and liked all the others, so I decided I would come check out your work. And... WOW. HOLY HECK. This deserves so many more likes. It's crazy. Your descriptions are beautiful- I can vividly picture everything going on in my mind. The one thing I would say to work on is showing, not telling. You describe amazingly (is that a word? it is now) on simple pictures, for example the Anarii, but everything else is just kind of bleh. (I hope that doesn't sound rude!!) Like, when R...

Reply

Creed .
20:15 Apr 13, 2021

Thank you so much, Meg! It is not rude at all, I myself often see how much my description is patchy, amazing in some places, horrible in others. I'm trying to work on it. I don't know your age, but I am fairly young and inexperienced. I have only been writing for two or three years now and still need a lot of work. Thank you for your comment, I will try to continue working on my description. Thank you again for your very kind and helpful comment and have a nice day!

Reply

Megan Sutherland
20:19 Apr 13, 2021

I'm fairly young as well. Lol. I wrote my first novel when I was... 7? I'm not bragging lol, because it was SO BAD OMG I read it the other day, and it was like 90 pages but I kept switching font sizes so like there was a page where the font was like 11 and then the next one was like fifty and honestly idk what I was thinking when I was little. Have a nice day too!! I know you're going to be a great author some day. You're awesome now!! Also, Bucky Barnes=great marvel character

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Cole Lane
04:11 Apr 11, 2021

I found some gritty stuff! There has to be more to this??

Reply

Creed .
18:44 Apr 11, 2021

There will be!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Sam Ackman
16:50 Apr 22, 2021

This is a great story. I enjoyed the pull at the start with a noise in the forest and more pull along with a drastic situation and wondering how it will work out. If you wanted to streamline it a bit there were a few areas where things are over explained. I also liked how you went for a sad cliffhanger ending - not often done. Hope you keep writing!!

Reply

Creed .
17:23 Apr 22, 2021

thank you so much! I am aware that I over describe things and am trying to fix that. There will be more!

Reply

Sam Ackman
17:27 Apr 22, 2021

Sounds great! It’s so hard to find the balance between over explaining and not giving enough information. Especially when you - the one writing it - knows everything :p. I find it helpful to know where I over explain.

Reply

Creed .
18:19 Apr 22, 2021

Yep! Sometimes it's hard to express the words in my head, how to make them come alive.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
User_2443 0967
02:07 Apr 16, 2021

'Noodles'

Reply

Show 0 replies
17:22 Apr 15, 2021

Lab Rats is hereee! Check it out!

Reply

Angel {Readsy}
16:32 Apr 19, 2021

Sooooorrrrryyyyyy I am afraiddddd of Ratsssss

Reply

16:43 Apr 19, 2021

XD

Reply

Angel {Readsy}
23:49 Apr 22, 2021

Kindly read my story I need to talk to a fairy

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
AntMan 🐜
12:20 Apr 15, 2021

Also, Riddle #5: incorrectly I have a riddle for you: What can you hold but never touch? Email me, and I'll give you the answer, so no spoilers to the others here! katelyn.kruckeberg@gmail.com

Reply

Creed .
13:28 Apr 15, 2021

Yep, you are right! I already know the answer: Breath. 😁 Ps, I'm not allowed to use my email!

Reply

AntMan 🐜
14:37 Apr 15, 2021

No, actually, because you can touch breath.... the answer is a conversation 😉😁🧐😅 oh, sorry😅😳

Reply

Creed .
14:54 Apr 15, 2021

Oh, well. Then. 😁

Reply

AntMan 🐜
15:27 Apr 15, 2021

😅Yeah, that one stumped me for a while when I first heard it, but you were pretty close!🤏😉

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Angel {Readsy}
16:35 Apr 19, 2021

Conversationnnnnnnnnn.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 2 replies
Show 1 reply
Angel {Readsy}
16:34 Apr 19, 2021

: your breath

Reply

Show 0 replies
Angel {Readsy}
16:35 Apr 19, 2021

Riddle answer I Google it

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 3 replies
A.G. Looney
15:24 Apr 12, 2021

My aka is Silverwing!

Reply

Creed .
15:25 Apr 12, 2021

OK! Lol.

Reply

A.G. Looney
16:10 Apr 12, 2021

Lol

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
TJ Squared
16:13 Nov 07, 2021

Ackkkkkkk But still, I like how you kinda gave the Anarii two sides, the mean angry tough one, and then the playful one at the end lol

Reply

Show 0 replies
RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.