The Rounded Window of Opportunity

Submitted into Contest #97 in response to: Start your story with a character looking out of a window in the middle of the night.... view prompt

1 comment

Fiction Happy Inspirational

As the wind blew softly I took a deep breath sighing. A few stray strands of hair gently kissed my cheek. I looked onward out the rounded glass pane watching all of the small twinkles in the distance. I knew I needed to rest my weary eyes after the long journey to this new, but hopeful beginning. I had waited years to be able to move out to the country and start my own art studio. It was like a dream come true I thought smiling. As I thought about my new journey I listened to the distant soft gurgling creek, the small chatter of the crickets, and the chilly, but calm breeze. I looked around at my empty new bedroom cluttered with various boxes and sighed. I got up slowly from the ledge and went to a sealed box. I folded back the tabs and reached in for my familiar sketchbook. Grabbing the sketchbook I sat back down on the ledge again. I flipped through the worn but loved sketchbook I had grown to love. I traced my finger over the years of drawing, optimistic yet sometimes sad sketches. Reaching around in my hoodie pocket I grabbed my trustworthy pen and began to fill in the blank page with lines. Looking out at the moon and back at the page. As I finished my rough sketch I smiled and put the sketchbook down. I looked out once more through the weathered rounded glass and headed to the single mattress I had managed to unpack. I laid down smiling already excited to start my new journey in the morning.

I woke up to sun rays piercing me awake from the rounded window I had visited the night before. I quickly got up already excited to start my new journey. I rushed over to all of my cardboard boxes rummaging around for the perfect outfit. Finally finding my favorite pair of jeans with a few paint stains and a button-up I got ready. I quickly left my new house and got into my beaten-up pickup. I headed down the gravel drive into town exploding with joy and excitement. I looked at the small sticky note on my dash for the new studio location. Rolling down the street I looked around and my eyes widened with happiness. I had found it and I couldn't help myself from smiling. Getting out of the truck with a wide smile and eyes full of happiness I went to the storefront and unlocked it with my new key. As I stepped inside a whiff of dust and an older smell filled my nose. I went over to the storefront windows and yanked down the dusty sheets allowing the sunlight to fill the empty room. I looked around smiling and instantly walked out to my truck to start unloading all the boxes I had left in the truck bed. I unloaded box after box until the bed was completely empty. Looking around with a little sweat on my brow I grabbed a broom and started sweeping away. I could tell the storefront hadn't been touched in years due to how much dust had been accumulated. I smiled while sweeping and thought to myself of all the possibilities life could bring to me on my new journey. After sweeping for a little while I sat down to take a break on the window ledge. Climbing up in the window seat I grabbed out my sketchbook from my tote bag. I flipped through the pages and gazed at all the memories I had drawn out. I looked around and thought to myself this would be another memory I would want to capture. Grabbing my very worn-out pencil I flipped to an empty page and started sketching out my beautiful studio. I concentrated and lost track of everything around me as my pencil glided along the page. I sat my pencil down and looked back at the work I had created. Finally, I got up to start unpacking a few things here and there. Setting out shelves that needed to be built, tables, chairs, and more. As I looked around I sighed realizing this would be a lot more work than I had realized. I started to build chairs and other furniture for a few hours until the sun started to set. Getting up off the floor I stretched and wiped away the beads of sweat off my cheek. The day had been exciting and amazing but tiring. I headed out to my truck and locked the door on my way out. As I started back to my new house I glanced a few times back at my new studio. Finally, reaching my new house I unlocked the door and walked inside into the half-unpacked kitchen. I rummaged around in a box on the wooden island for the snacks I had bought. Finding peanut butter and crackers I headed upstairs to snack on them. Sitting down on the ledge at the rounded window I opened it up to get a cool breeze going while I ate my small dinner. I sketched here and there as I ate my dinner. Looking out the rounded window I realized night had fallen and the sun was nowhere to be seen. I closed my eyes smiling as the breeze hit my cheeks softly and the familiar sounds of the gurgling creek filled my ears. As I took in the scenery around me I thought about my upcoming life. The new people, new adventures, and the new journeys I would need to overcome. I was nervous, but I was ready. I had wanted an art studio to myself since I was little and I was finally getting that chance to do so. I got up to rummage around for some sweatpants and a lightweight hoodie. After changing I sat back down at the rounded window and watched as the stars twinkled and said hello to each other. I laid back onto the window ledge and closed my eyes taking it all in. As I drifted off to sleep under the rounded window the crickets began to wake up as I drifted off to sleep. I was ready for this new journey. 

June 08, 2021 21:33

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

1 comment

Skylar Brooks
02:48 Jun 18, 2021

this was very rushed and not well done sorry!

Reply

Show 0 replies

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.