2 comments

Fiction Teens & Young Adult

Tap tap, tap. The rain hitting the window outside did nothing to help James with his focus. As happy as it made him feel that it was a sign of spring. The grey clouds made him feel uneasy. He tore his eyes away to his desk. And at the top of his World War Two quiz he wrote march 23 2027 and his name James Deldon. 

He then squinted his eyes at the first question. 

The battle known as D-day is the nickname for what invasion?

Tap, tap tap. Trying not to pay attention to the storm. James pulled at his mask, and quickly wrote, invasion of Normandy. James finished the 28 question test within ten minutes. It was easy enough, because he had paid attention. James returned to his seat and before opening a book to finish the period he took a quick look around. He felt the noticeable tension that had always been there ever since two years ago when the war had started. And James couldn't suppress the thought that everyone in the room was thinking the same thing as him. 

How could this happen? how could they be learning about World War Two while out there world war three was in session. As if the whole learning history so we didn't repeat it, didn't sink in enough. James sighed and focused his attention to his book. And he was able to get a clear 37 pages read before the teacher walked to the front of the room. They had finally found a permanent substitute --a man too old for the war. Mr. Holloman his name was. Who was really nice and taught well. -- ever since the original teacher Mr. Johnson got drafted. 

" Why the long faces. I know it's raining outside but that just means spring is coming and you all deserve a break." He paused, and shifted himself in his chair slowly before continuing. " All of you were, what? Elevenish when that awful pandemic hit? And now even worse you are all turning 18 old enough to get drafted during a war spiraled off of that same pandemic. ", Mr Holloman smiled at the class. " and you guys still wear these masks. Crazy that's how this war all started. But enough of that talk. " As the teacher pointed the remote at the projector a student raised her hand. " Oh yes Kiara?" 

" Mr Holloman do you have any children in the war?" Mr Holloman Turned his head toward Kiara and stared for a moment. Then his smile grew. 

" Yes, one. A granddaughter named Ellie. No need to be scared. I'm positive she'll be just fine." After that some of the tension was taken away. The air seemed lighter especially to James. It helped him to know that he wasn't the only one who could lose someone in the war. 

The middle school was just a block from the high school. And as Charlie walked out into the rain.  There he was waiting for her. The 2002 grey honda odyssey was sitting in the parking lot.-- they named him Andy-- as she got closer she could see her brother burst out a smile at the sight of her. She threw her backpack in the back and held her flute close to her not to damage it as she hopped in the front seat. 

" Anything totally boring happen?" James asked as he started the car. 

" Where do I start " Charlie whined " I hate math, we talked about the water cycle in science, and I'm pretty sure the clock moves in hours instead of minutes." 

" Anything exciting?"   

" Only a bombing raid drill." The energy seemed to get sucked out the window as she said it. " It's weird to think about. That we could get nuclear bombs dropped on our schools." She folded her arms and slumped down staring into the abyss of nothingness people tended to go. Then James got an idea. 

" You know what. I got my paycheck today. Why don't we stop and get some donuts?" 

" Yea." 

 Home was a regular house close to the road so that they heard all of the cars whoosh by. And sometimes felt the tiny earthquakes that occurred every time a large truck would pass by. James put in the key and turned so the red door swung open. The house was only lit by the little light outside. Which told them their mother was not home from work yet. Their backpacks thumped on the floor and the two got started on the donuts. 

Their cat Purple decided he wanted a donut too. They gave him a tiny peace hoping he didn't throw it up later. And Charliecharlie fed some to her beloved stuffed llama Milly.

" No more donuts. Do you have any homework?" James asked. 

" Yes math, maybe help me?" James smiled and motioned to the table sitting down as Charlie got her backpack.

" Ooh algebra? This might take a while."

It got dark quicker than James expected and before he knew it was six. They had gotten all of their homework done and were now eating some leftover pizza from two nights ago. The garage door could be heard, and soon enough Elise-- their mother-- confessed she was home.

" James! charlie!" 

" Hi mom," Charlie called back. " There's still some pizza left if you want to warm it up." 

" Thanks sweety. Sounds delicious." Elise  grabbed some cold pizza and heated it up in their toaster oven. She sat down to wait for her pizza. 

" So what's up?" She asked

 " Let's pray not planes coming to drop bombs on us." James added. James watched Charlie's face tense. And her mouth opened. 

 " It's not a joke James! It's scary! " Charlie added. The silence wasn't all that bad; it was Charlie and her answer filled with the anger and anxiety of the situation they were put in. The lack of love left in the world that made middle schoolers like Charlie feel like they knew nothing. James hesitated; hehesitated he wanted to tell her that the reason he said it was because he was scared too. But he didn't want her to lose faith in her big brother. 

 " Look Charlie, I'm sorry" 

 " It's alright." 

 " That was yummy pizza don't you think?" Their mom chimed in.

 " But you haven't even eaten yours." 

 " Well charlie maybe I'll just eat it while we watch a movie together. Hmm?" James smiled at his mother, an obvious hero. 

The putting on the movie was long and tiring. The internet didn't let them log onto Netflix so they had to restart the router. Then spend the next 20 minutes trying to find something each of them agreed on.

 " What about this?" Elise said clicking on Jurassic Park. 

 " No we are not watching Jurassic Park."  Charlie yelped. 

 "Why not it's a classic." James protested. 

 " It's scary." 

 " Do you think everything is scary?" 

 " No" charlie held milie close to her " but Milly does" finding nothing in netflix they switched to disney plus to scroll some more. " Ooh Emperor's New Groove" 

 " Really charlie?" James yelped this time 

 " What?" 

 " It's just I've seen this movie about 5 times within the past two months. "

" Fine" 

Elise decided it was time to step in. 

 " How about a marvel movie?" She placed. 

 " Naw,Naw" the two both said. 

 " A disney movie?, Pixar? Star wars? " 

The last one had been the winner and they watched Star Wars A New Hope. They ended the movie each with a smile on their faces. But of course it was short lived. As Charlie and James brushed their teeth. Elise received an alert on her phone. Sweating she raced to turn on the TV to any news channel. And the voice of a very concerned reporter filled the house. 

" The Californian coast has been bombed. Great Britain has made their voice heard. They are not on our side." Confused at why the TV was still and their mother not getting ready for bed herself, Charlie and James walked into the room to see the destroyed cities in california. James almost raced to the bathroom he felt so sick. But he held his own. He had to be strong. For Charlie, swallowing hard he moved to Charlie and held her. Charlie holding Milly tightly to her face blocking the images. 

" no one knew what this war was going to be like." The reporter continued. " But in a broken world. All we can do is hope." 

That night was awake. James tried his best to comfort his tired sister. He slept in her room with her so she wasn't as scared. He watched her sleep until eventually his own eyelids fell down. 

Charlie woke James before the bombs did. 

"James! James wake up!" He jolted upright, his head banging. 

 "What?" Then he heard the loud slow booms. He quickly thought of what to do but he couldn't think. His body moved on its own. He grabbed Charlie's arm and pulled her out of the room. He ran down the hallway to meet their mother. She shouted only one word at them.

" Go!" Immediately James pulled Charlie in the direction of outside. He knew his mother was referring to the bomb shelter. Outside was horrifying. Fires burning, sirens ringing, people screaming, and planes. The shelter seemed so far away. But James didn't dare look up as he ran. He didn't care who was attacking them or why. He only cared to get Charlie to safety. Elise was close behind carrying the cat. They got to the bomb shelter, but before they could all get inside charlie had a terrible thought 

  "I forgot Milly!" She screamed. Charlie's emotional support to her friend to the end was back there in the house. Determination flowed through James. 

  " Get inside!" He yelled and bolted in the opposite direction. His mother screamed at him as he passed. He had no intention of dying. If he did, how would he get Milly back to Charlie. The house was still standing, but it looked like a total mess. James found Charlie's room and dug through the number of blankets to find mille. Who had been trapped instead underneath the shelf that had fallen. James lifted the shelf up and threw it to the side. Milly could have looked worse. Her head was smashed but other than that she looked normal. Jamed ran outside yet again the llama in hand. This time it was worse. The sky seemed red with the fire. Fighting with the ground to stay upright. Stomach twisting. He took the last stretch, the hardest stretch. Planed we're flying overhead and they were bound to see him. That's the way war was. And sure enough a bomb exploded not 50 feet from him. Causing rubble to be scattered and to knock James off balance. He tripped falling to the ground and covered his face to not get hit by the flying prices of anything In the process he dropped Milly. He stayed there paralyzed afraid something else may happen. When nothing did he slowly got to his knees. Next to his feet, yet he couldn't because sticking out of his leg was a very large branch. His leg couldn't support his weight. He fell again, and again. He doubted himself. How he could ever make it. His head fell to the ground again. His sobbs drowned out by the destruction. James couldn't tell how long he waited there. Suddenly a feeling washed over him. It was as if he heard a voice yelling 

 " Look up!" Thinking he had nothing left to lose he lifted his head. And right there in front of him laid Milly. The perfect llama dirty but unharmed stared at him. Her yellow eyes held light and hope. And James was reminded of his whole entire mission. Steadily he got up picking millie up and carried her to the shelter. The door was left open for his return. James smiled at his family's faith in him. He carefully limped down the steps, after locking the door. The adrenaline fled leaving him to stumble but he was only to be knocked down again by Charlie and his mother. James whipped Charlie's tears and handed her the dirty Milly. 

 " Not a scratch." He told her "but I think I got one." His mother touched his face. 

"What a good big brother you are."  She fixed his wound. And charlie sat next to him watching. 

 " That looks like it hurts." She whispered in a weep

 " It does." 

 " You're so brave James. '' she sobbed. He held her and whispered back. 

 " I was terrified." 

That was the hardest part. Telling his sister that he was scared too. That he couldn't tell her that it was going to be alright. That they could all be a happy family again. He could hope, but he couldn't promise and that is what was the scariest. 

Charlie snuggled up to James

  " That's okay." Her voice sounded warm and calm. as closed her eyes and started to drift off. 

 " I love you James." 

James grinned and out his arm around her keeping her warm. He leaned his head on hers. 

They were safe, and together. 

 " I love you too." 

March 09, 2021 00:45

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

2 comments

Alex Raines
21:19 Mar 17, 2021

This is a good start! You have a very interesting idea here. I do think it could use a little refining and polish to really shine, though. For example, be careful with your punctuation. Go back through and proofread a few times after writing. You will improve with time and practice, so keep it up!

Reply

Ellie Kidd
21:55 Mar 17, 2021

Thank you for the feedback. I really need to work on my grammar I know. But it's nice to finally have someone give me feedback about my story.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.