0 comments

Teens & Young Adult Fiction Funny

John Mark and David Wayne are identical twins. But that is as far as it goes. Where just about everything else is concerned they are complete opposites.

John Mark is very outgoing, talkative, active and a flashy dresser. David Wayne is quiet, reserved, a reader who likes being by himself.

So when they both are invited to a major party, their parents expected them to go leaving a parental evening of peace and quiet.

But David Wayne made it very clear he did not want to go.

"Why do I have to go?"

"You both were invited so you both are going."

"You know they only invited DW to be nice. He is such a party pooper that nobody really wants him there."

"Be assured that if DW does not go then neither of you will go."

"But mom. He is a bore and nothing but a downer. If he doesn't want to go why make him."

"He's your brother and you both will go. End of argument."

"You're supposed to have fun at parties and I never do. I'd just as soon stay home."

"No, DW. You need to be getting out more and make some friends."

"But John Mark and I have nothing in common. He hates what I like and I hate what he likes. So one of us will have no fun and be miserable."

"If you go to the party with that attitude for sure you will have no fun."

At that moment their father entered the room.

"I can hear you all arguing all the way from my office and I have the door closed. You both are going and I do not want to hear anything else about it."

Both boys kind of sulked as they went to their room to get ready but they were sulking for different reasons.

Thirty minutes later they are in the family sedan heading for the party. Their dad dropped them off and promised to return by midnight when the party was supposed to end.

John Mark headed straight to the dance floor. David Wayne found an empty chair not far from the food and just sat to listen to the music.

When the announcement was made that the snack buffet was open DW rushed over. They had not had dinner in anticipation of the party. He still wished he could have stayed home.

The food smelled great and looked even better. He took a little bit of everything including two slices of pizza and a handful of cookies. Then he got a glass of the party staple fruit punch.

John Mark saw his brother sitting on the sidelines just feeding his face.

"Is that all you're gonna do all night, eat?"

"Hey, I'm hungry. If you recall, mom did not feed us dinner because she figured we would eat our fill, especially of the pizza."

"You know she will be mad if she finds out that is all you did all night."

"And just how would she find out?"

"You know mom. She has spies everywhere. How do you think she found out I was smoking?"

"I don't care. You just be sure to have fun and I'll just try to survive the boredom."

"Boredom? This is the best dance we have ever been to."

John Mark went back to dancing and David Wayne went back to eating.

On his third trip to the food bar, DW only got two more slices of pizza and another glass of punch. He could not believe how good the punch was. He made a bathroom stop when he finished and went only for more punch.

By now John Mark was getting a bit bored. He took a break from the dance floor, hit the food bar and opted for his favorite, Pepsi.

Then he had to take a bathroom break. When he returned he was quite shocked. There in the middle of the dance floor was his twin brother who did not want to come tonight.

The punch now had DW feeling pretty good. He began showing off some pretty impressive dance moves.

Everyone cleared some space, gathered around and began to cheer him on. John Mark could not believe his boring brother was looking like the life of the party. What was even more unbelievable was that the hottest girl in their grade was dancing with him. And wilder yet it looked like girls were lining up to get a dance with him. Did someone slip his brother some pills?

So John Mark got himself something more to eat and sat down to watch this new version of his brother.

Then the time came for the band to take a break. DW headed for the food.

"Whew, thank goodness. I think I needed a break more than the band."

"What got into you, DW. You didn't even want to come."

"I think something in the music made me want to get out on the floor and boogie."

Eating a couple more slices of pizza, DW made another stop for more punch. John Mark grabbed another Pepsi.

"You should try the punch, JM. Never had punch that tasted any better,"

John Mark decided he would give the punch a try.

"Wow, bro. You're right. This is awesome."

DW finished his pizza and punch. Then he deaded back to the dance floor as the band had returned and started playing again.

At once he is surrounded by girls wanting a dance.

How is this possible? John Mark tried another glass of punch. He immediately realizes someone has spiked the punch.

As he watches DW having a blast he becomes a bit jealous. At first he was the one having the blast. Now his loner, boring, do nothing brother was having a bigger blast. Worse, DW is still surrounded by girls wanting to dance.

He cannot wait to squeel on his brother. Then he thinks that by Monday at school without the punch, DW will be back to being the loner, do nothing bore of a brother.

When midnight arrives and the party comes to and end the rides begin to arrive. John Mark decides to keep quiet since he had tried the punch too.

But when their parents arrived to pick them up and DW was still surrounded and John Mark was the one alone, their parents knew something was amiss.

Dad was the first to ask, "okay, boys. There is something wrong with this picture. What's up?"

"Something the band played," DW began.

"Thought you didn't even want to go to this party?" mom reminded him.

"He didn't. And when I went to the bathroom he was sitting by himself eating. When I came out he was bustin' moves all over the dance floor."

Dad chuckled, "guess we better find out what brand of pizza that was."

May 12, 2021 02:48

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.