4 comments

Coming of Age Friendship

Pisces


Capricorn was flailing her hand at me.

“Bye Pisces see you next year!” She screamed. The cold, cool air burned my nose.

“Bye Capricorn-n.” I stuttered out. The bus rolled away from me and the faint yells of my best friend trailed off. Great. Now I had no one to spend my time with. Capricorn was going to New York to see her Grand-mere. And me? I was going to spend this Christmas with my dad's new girlfriend. Baleine, french for whales. Like bruh. She insisted on moving in the first day dad met her. I refused to call her mom. I mean come on, she called me a freak. Correction, a gay freak. I’m not even gay. I support the community and stuff, but dad halfway cares when she insults Pluto or me. Merry Christmas? More like Merry Crisis. I barraged through the door when I got home and upstairs.

“Pisces.” Dad calls, “Come down here son.” Noooooo I wanna say. But I stomp back down there anyway. Baleine is standing there with her red vampire lipstick and bright green pantsuit.

“It’s not Halloween, is it?” I ask.

She smirks, “And you didn’t go out in public like that did you?” I sigh, then look at dad who has a raised eyebrow.

“Me and your mom are going to go out to eat. Take care of Pluto.” I hated how he said mom. My real mom was there for me, my real mom called me and texted me all the time. My real mom loved me. I walked away as I heard ‘mom’ and dad whispering about me.

The last word I heard from them was, “idiot,” and I couldn’t clarify if it was Baleine or dad.



When I got to my room, I slammed the door and screamed. Then I stopped. One of my moments as Pluto called it. I play on the PS4 when Pluto comes in.

“You ok?” He asks.

“Mmm…” I reply.

“Ok.” 

I sigh, then turn around.

“You wanna go see Scorpio?” Pluto smiles real big, then nods. Scorpio is the only one who gets him besides me, of course. 

“Let me make sure she won’t kill me when I knock.” I text her real quick.

Pluto wants to come over. Dat ok with u?

I immediately got a reply.

Sure whatever don’t let him eat my snacks tho 



When I arrive, I knock carefully.

“What the heck do you want.” Scorpio opened the door, with a butcher knife in her hand. 

“Oh, hey Pluto.” She waved for us to come in. As usual, Scorpio had her oversized yellow hoodie.

“What’s up.” She asks digging into her pocket then pulling out a lays bag.

“Baleine.” Pluto mumbles.

“Ah, she who loves on two heels.”

“Hilarious.” I scowl. Pluto rummages through his pockets.

“Pluto?” I ask. He looks up and back down.

“You ‘member when mom was here and every ‘christ mass’ she would make a gigantic cookie?” It was so cute how he said Christmas.

“Mhm…” I mumbled.

“We should make one!” Pluto screamed.

Scorpio glared, then her look softened, “Ok, ok.” She started typing something into her phone. 

“How to make a gigantic cookie.” she said slowly, “Kitchen everyone one!”

It took a solid five hours, but it was worth it.




On the twelfth day of Christmas, Scorpio gave to me

12 butter sticks,

11 ‘what the hecks’

10 what is THIS!

9 cutting decks

8 cookie doughs

7 poppy seeds

6 brooooooos

5 hours of watching Rocky

4 plates 

3 ‘Almost done’s”

2 “it's getting late.”

1 cookie pun.



We were all tired. Pluto was asleep. Scorpio was bobbing her head to music while looking at something on Chrome. We were letting the cookie cool off.

“Oh my god!” Scorpio shouted.

“What?” Her dark eyes are now twinkling. “We could win an award for the biggest cookie ever. We just need to have everyone who made the cookie a video!!!” I shook Pluto awake, and we walked back to the kitchen.

Scorpio pressed record.

“We are the makers of the ‘iggest wookie!” Pluto shouted.

“Made by Pluto, Pisces, and Scropio.” I yelled. We all smiled like a bunch of idiots before Scropio stopped the recording. 

“Just send that baby in and they’ll review and tell us if we won first, second, third or fourth.” She smiled. Scorpio has the best smile in the world! But she barely does smile, but when she does, I always snap a shot in my head. “It’s nine irty!” Pluto whines. 

“Thanks for this Scorpio.” I smiled at her.

“Hold on, Pisces, I gotta give you a cookie.” She broke three chunks off. She handed one to me and Pluto. 

“Can I go to yours? My parents aren’t back ‘till Sunday.” I nodded. We all ate the cookie and savored every last bite of it. When we arrived back inside my house, Baleine was standing there and slapped me.

“What the heck, bro!” Scorpio yelled. “You don’t slap your own son!”

“You don’t tell me what to do, young lady I’ve been worried sick about you! Your dad almost called the police before he heard you coming up the driveway”

Scorpio stepped forward.

“If you're so worried sick about him, why would you slap him? A real mom knows to not slap her son.” Dad came down the stairs and shook his head.

Pluto screamed, “Baleine slapped Pisces!!!!”

“She did the right thing. Scorpio, we don’t need you over right now.” Dad scolded.

She made her way up the stairs, anyway. Pluto followed her and left me standing there.

“You're an idiot, just like your birth mom.” I dropped my mouth in an O.

“At least my mom doesn’t slap me. Call me a freak. At least my mom LOVES ME!” I kicked Baleine’s shin before running up the stairs and slamming the door.

Scorpio is smiling. That's what I needed. I sit down next to her. She’s reading an email.

“We won first place.” She whispers. I wipe the tears away.

“That's great.” She the very first time in forever. “We won a thousand dollars, you big noggin.” 

I’m shocked. “Really you're not playing?” She gives me a hug and then she says. “Really.” She lets go and looks down. “I’ll send it to my Paypal account and then we can live our best life.”


At least an hour later Pluto is asleep, and Scorpio challenged me in Call Of Duty.

“No, not the flash grenade!” She shouts. She wipes her eyes and reaches over to turn off the PS4. 

“I’m wiped, bruh.” She curls up in the beanbag chair. 

“Night Pisces.” She mutters.

“Night.”


December 07, 2020 15:05

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

4 comments

00:29 Feb 07, 2021

Hii! I love this story, even though you wrote it a long long time ago. Hopefully, you'll write another story soon :)

Reply

Show 0 replies

Hey, Clemaline! Just so you know (cuz your bio kinda asked), Kylie has currently changed her name to the pen name ‘Crystal’. She’s #10 on the leaderboard if you wanna find her!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply

Ok Imma be real for a second oki? I wrote this story in 2017 and never finished it! I found it on a google doc and made it fit the prompt. Lol.

Reply

Show 0 replies
RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.