Positioning the Donkey

Submitted into Contest #88 in response to: Write a fairy tale about an outsider trying to fit in.... view prompt

0 comments

Coming of Age Contemporary Fiction

The market’s bustle could be heard just beyond the hill.

"Come, son. Just a little further until we reach the bakery. Then we’ll go home and feast," said Juha, gesturing to the busy path before him.

Juha was standing beside a donkey, and his son was riding on it.

As they made their way down the path, villagers began to eye them with contempt.

“Looks like Juha couldn’t raise his boy the right way. What a disgrace! Riding on the donkey while his poor old father has to walk beside him? To shame with that boy!” shouted a woman, covering her young daughter’s eyes from the sight.

Juha’s cheeks began to redden.

“Father, come sit on the donkey. I shall walk the rest of the way,” said the son, hopping off the animal and guiding his father towards it.

Juha mounted the donkey and tossed the reigns towards his son as they continued their walk down the path.

Once again, the villagers began to sneer at the travelers.

“What an awful father Juha is! He dares to ride the donkey alone as his young boy grows tired from walking?” shouted a storekeeper, thrusting his fist in the air to wave off Juha and his son.

Juha lowered his head in shame: these people misunderstood.

He thought for a moment before coming up with a solution.

“Come here, son. Sit on the donkey with me,” Juha concluded, pulling his son up behind him.

Soon, the donkey's steps slowed underneath the weight, and it began to tire.

The villagers were shocked, and they shouted as Juha and his son passed by.

"Look at those two heartless travelers! Both of them must be heavy, yet they force their weight upon the small donkey! Imagine how tired the animal must be!” they shouted, frowning at the two of them.

Once more, Juha felt embarrassed.

He mulled the situation over and stepped off the donkey.

“Step off, boy. Walk with me instead of riding on the donkey,” he said, pulling his son down.

They walked beside the donkey but soon grew weary beneath the scorching sun. By the time more villagers noticed, both of them were panting.

"Look at how stupid Juha and his son are! Both of them are tired, yet they’re still walking! There’s a donkey to be ridden just beside them! How moronic!” they shrieked, tearing up with laughter.

Juha frowned.

No matter what he did, the villagers always found a flaw in his actions.

There was always something he was doing incorrectly.

The people were never satisfied.

Juha and his son finally reached the bakery.

He motioned for his son to enter with him as they strolled into the shop and purchased a dozen loaves of bread.

"This will be 7 gold coins,” said the shopkeeper as he placed the bread into burlap sacks.

Juha reached apathetically into his pockets and pulled out the coins.

"Here,” he muttered, clear frown lines drawn on his face.

The shopkeeper placed the sacks in Juha’s hands but didn’t release his grip.

"Are you alright, sir?” he asked.

Juha sighed.

"The villagers always find something wrong in what I do.”

The shopkeeper speculated for a minute before facing Juha again.

"From my own experiences, I’ve learned to ignore what others think of me. I do what I know is right, not what others say to do. You can do anything you believe is correct.”

Juha smiled and nodded along.

"You are right. I shouldn’t listen to the villagers and their unachievable demands. I should be myself.”

And so Juha stepped out of the shop, his son's fingers gripped in one hand and the bread bag in the other.

"Take a seat, my boy,” Juha smiled as he lifted his son up and placed him on the donkey.

"What a rude son!” called one villager.

“Has no one raised him?” jibed another.

"I have!” smiled Juha, walking beside the donkey.

They made their way down the path, ignoring the remarks being thrown at them.

After finding no changes were made, the shouts were soon quelled.

Juha and his son wandered home and had a feast.

Resting near a window, Juha sat smiling to himself.

“Ignore them,” he said, watching travelers passing by on their own donkeys.

Villagers shouted insults as they made their way down the path.

Frowning at the cruel sight, Juha stepped outside.

"Ignore those ignorant fools!” he shouted, waving at the travelers.

Smiling back, the travelers nodded, continuing along the path with reinforced confidence.

Juha's son stepped outside and stood beside his father.

"What did you say to them?" he asked, pointing at the travelers and their donkey, shrinking in the horizon.

Juha beamed at his son.

"I told them to live their own lives. The people will never be satisfied, so one must pursue what they themselves want, not what others do."

Juha's son faced his father.

"You are wise," he grinned.

Juha stretched his hand out and clutched his son's shoulder, holding it tight.

"Be strong, my boy. Be yourself. The world has no place for weak followers. We need leaders."

His son watched the last of the travelers disappear beneath a layer of mist, disappearing from view.

"That is true. Then I shall be a leader."

April 03, 2021 00:02

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.