A Dark Day

Submitted into Contest #76 in response to: Write a story told exclusively through dialogue.... view prompt

2 comments

Horror Crime

A door locked behind me as I waited to be buzzed into his prison. He gave a dark smile filled with evil and waved playfully. A buzz woke me up as I sat five feet from his ordinary face. His blue eyes glittered with excitement.

"It has been years since I have seen a friend." He expressed coldly. "At least you could have dressed better." Feeling uncomfortable, I smoothed my white blouse that tucked into a black leather skirt. I shifted my black flats nervously. He was already testing the proverbial waters. I clicked my recorder on.

"Why should I dress up for a monster?" I retorted coolly. "Besides I just want your story, but I can leave if you wish." I stood up to leave and he raised his hand in protest.

"Wait. I just want some company." He pleaded softly. "Besides I need your story for mine. You know, tit for tat." Tucking my dark brown reversed bob behind my ear, I sat back down.

"Fine. One fact for another." I agreed with a frown. "How was your childhood? I will let you guess mine." He chuckled to himself a half-smiled graced his face.

"Hated my mother, but loved my father." He explained with a small frown. "She ditched us for god knows what, or do you suppose I killed her? My dad raised me the best he could I suppose." A grin lit up his face as he laughed deeply.

"Honestly I feel as if she were your first victim." I cautioned with a sigh. "Was she cheating on your father with every guy in town, or did she hurt you?" He shifted uncomfortably in his seat. His icy eyes met mine and he stood up.

"I may have." He gloated. "Or not. If I did though, she was the town whore, and she may hit me a few times. That first time would have enlightening, if it had happened. How about your parents? You are dripping with angst and pain. How many tears did you cry because of them?" My heart started beating out of my chest as cold sweat dripped down my face.

"Well I did promise." I lamented with a deep breath. "They treated like the very dirt beneath your shackled feet. They essentially made a verbal punching bag and blamed every little thing on me. So yes, we no longer speak." He shook his head and raised his left eyebrow.

"So we are both broken creatures, crushed by those who were supposed to love us. How did you ever trust again, or are you still alone in the sad apartment you have?" He taunted me with a harsh chuckle. "You would have been my perfect victim. Ever so broken." He sat back down and crossed his legs.

"Being alone is not the worst thing to happen in my life. Maybe talking to you is." I fumed angrily. "Next question, what was it about your first victim that tempted you?" A warm smile filled his face as he sat up straight.

"My official first victim is probably what you meant. Hannah Smat was a close friend of mine. She was even more appealing to me when I found she had a two year old girl." He gushed as his face flushed red. "Then I found out she was a call girl." Fury burned in his eyes as he started to fume. His eyes turned black like a shark.

"Is that not an honest way of living?" I implied serenely. "Maybe she had no other options." He stood up and smashed the glass.

"She would leave her child to an abusive boyfriend for rich men!" He chastised cynically. "So I made the child's life better by stabbing her to death and burning her. Now the child is with a loving home. That witch got what she deserved." He took a deep breath and his eyes cooled down.

"What gave you the right to play god?" I challenged him firmly. "Maybe she could have turned it around with your help." Laughing crazily, he shook his head.

"Change, that is funny." He retorted sarcastically. "She was hooked on the good life. I don't want to talk about her. How about your first victim?" My eyes flashed with confusion as he smirk.

"Not sure what you mean?" I questioned. He sat back down and crossed his arms and legs.

"Whose heart did you break first?" He inquired. "How can you love if you hate yourself ? Perhaps you are your own victim." My eyebrows twitched as growled to myself.

"Never had a boyfriend." I stated icily. "I simply don't have time." He grinned to himself.

"Don't have time or don't want to?" He teased childishly. "You must tell me." Looking away, I cleared my throat.

"I don't want to. I just don't see the point." I shared miffed. "How did it feel to end her?" A fond memory entered his head as he sighed in pleasure.

"It was liberating." He gushed happily. "It was even better when I burned her. It was like your first taste of chocolate. How was the first time you wrote a book?" Smiling, I sat up straight and looked him in the eyes.

"It was like Heaven shining upon me." I reminisced. "For the first time I felt what happiness must feel like." He gave a fatherly smile.

"You would have been my dream daughter." He commented affectionately. "Shame you weren't mine. The true question is why can't you keep your happiness?" Shrugging, I looked down at my watch.

"Tell me about Yuki Sin." I probed stiffly. "Why her?" He exhaled exhaustedly.

"She just drank and drank her days away. Her son was not getting the attention he needed." He explained evenly. "This time I did not know her. I knew her well enough when she was alone. Just like Hannah I stabbed and burned her. The blood felt so good. Was your second book as fulfilling, of did you lose your joy?" Shaking my head, I looked him in his blue eyes.

"No. It lost its magic." I divulged. "Nothing feels good anymore. That is my problem and not yours." He shook his head and looked away.

"That is a problem. Life can just suck the life out of you can't it. " He related softly. "Maybe you could kill like me, or are you too kind."

"I have a sense of morals. Even if people aren't perfect, they still deserve to live." I dictated strongly. "It is one of the ten commandments is it not?" His face lit up with a impish smile.

"You don't strike me as the religious type." He jeered. "How about this tidbit? I only managed to kill three people, but those children are better off aren't they? I know you do not like the system." Breathing deeply, I frowned.

"The system failed me, it works for the most part. You destroy lives." I scoffed. "Tell me why you wanted Louisa Dye. Why did you feel the compulsion for her?" He adopted a crude sneer.

"Louisa was a druggie and a lady of the night. I am not a fan of both. Do you think it was justice that she got a healthy baby boy?" He asked huffily. "I freed that little baby boy from a life like ours. Can you not thank me for that?" Shaking with anger, I stood close to his cage.

"No! People are bad and don't deserve kids." I yelled. "You still had no right!" He stood up to face me and just stared.

"Why are you here then?" He sneered. "Is it to make you think you are normal? News flash! You are not. You may not have killed, but you lack the ability to feel happy. At least I can be happy." Huffing I sat down.

"I may not be able to feel happy. I do not know what joy is. I am okay with that." I verified coolly. "Last question do you feel sorry about all that you have done." He laughed and smiled.

"No, but you knew that already." He revealed stiffly. "I am all done here. Please come back again my dear." My mind all mixed up, I stood up and left. One thing for sure was that I will not come back.

January 11, 2021 17:20

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

2 comments

Mustang Patty
10:43 Jan 19, 2021

Good job. Thank you for sharing

Reply

Yvette Francaise
20:37 Jan 19, 2021

Thank you.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.