3 comments

Fiction Coming of Age Contemporary

It should never be hard to choose between good and evil.

Right?

-------

"Come on Lilly, you know you want to choose me, I'm the best. You'll have fun here. You know I'm right. What are you wanting for?" a voice says coming from a door.

Hold on. Doors don't talk. What's going on? Where am I? How did I get here? I can barely see anything. It's so bright on my right side, and so dark on my left.

"It's time to choose," a new voice says.

Choose? Choose what?

Finally my eyes start to adjust. There are two doors in front of me. One on the left that is covered in darkness. And one on the right that is exploding with light.

"It is time my child, you must choose now," the second voice says coming from the right door.

"Don't listen to him. You don't want to go with him, come with me. Choose me," the first voice says coming from the door on the left.

"I'm sorry, but I don't understand," I say. "You say choose me," I say pointing to the left door. "But, that makes no sense. You say choose you, but between what? You're a door. None of this makes any sense," I say falling to the ground confused.

"I know this is hard to understand, but you must choose between good and evil," the right door says.

"So you're good," I say pointing to the door on the right surrounded by light. "And you're evil?" I ask, pointing to the door to the left covered in darkness.

"Yes, now choose," the evil door says clearly, running out of patients.

"So that's it? I have to choose now? With no more information? What if I choose wrong?" I ask the doors.

"It's not a difficult choice. If you're smart you'll choose me," the evil door says. "Think of that one thing you want, the one thing you don't have. I could give it to you. You would never be sad, or in pain. You would always be happy," he says.

But I'm not clueless, I may not understand what's happening right now. But I do know that you can't get something for nothing. So I decide to challenge the evil door and say "At a price of course. Right?"

The evil door darkens, ashamed acting as if he's been caught.

"That isn't important. What's important is that you come with me before it's too late. Before you choose incorrectly and can't change your choice," he says slowly, making sure I hear and understand him.

"You, good door. You've been awfully quiet. Why aren't you trying to make me join you like the evil door is?" I ask the good door.

"I don't need to puserwaded your choice. You already know what the right one is. It is up to you to make it. Not myself nor the evil door can make that choice for you," he says camly almost soothing.

Of course I know I should choose the good door. It's common sense. But why is the evil door so persistent and kean on making me join him? He is trying to puserwayed me by saying I'll get whatever I want. But at what price? He deflected that question. That was a bad give away on his part.

"So let me get this straight, if I join you," I point at the evil door. "I can get whatever I want and never be sad or in pain, I will always be happy?" I ask to clarify.

"Yes! Exactly, now come with me so we can begin," the evil door says.

Interesting. He answered so quickly and enthusiastically. Like he had already won. But he gave me no proof that what he says is true. How do I know he's not lying? I think to ask him this out loud, but even if I'm right I'm sure he'll lie anyway and say he speaks the truth.

"Good door, what do you have to offer me if I choose you?" I ask.

"You will simply have to find out," he says.

I know what I should do. I only have to get the courage to do it. The evil door is trying to tempt me. But I won't let it.

"The good door. I chose the good door," I say proudly.

"You stupid, stupid girl! You'll regret your choice and there will be no turning back," the evil door shouts before vanishing.

With my newfound courage in my choice I say "What a planned last line. Did he get it from a book?" I snicker knowing that I will not regret my choice.

"He says the same thing every time," the good door says. "Thank you for choosing correctly, I knew I saw the good light in you. We will be most proud to have you join us," the good door says. "Please, come in," he says, opening his door.

I pear inside, it is so bright I can not see. I pause at it's entrance, shielding my eyes.

"Do not be afraid, come in," the door says again.

I reluincley walk in. As I do the door closes behind me, and suddenly I can see everything. A beautiful green meadow covers everything in sight. Flowers, trees, and bushes are everywhere with animals all round them. There's an ocean to my left and a stream to my right. A desert is straight ahead and beyond there are hills and mountains, plus so much more.

I can't stop looking around, it seems that everything in the world is here in this one place. And it's beautiful. I stare at it smiling as I feel a tear of joy roll down my cheek.

I don't know how long I stare at this place. It seems the more I look around the more new things I see. I am so consumed by this place that I don't looks anywhere else until I hear something behind me and say

"Welcome, to paradise."

May 28, 2021 07:02

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

3 comments

Moon Fox
12:29 Jul 19, 2021

This is the most beautiful metaphor of human life, crafted into a quirky little plot line. I've commented on you before, but this is my new favorite. 100%!

Reply

19:05 Jul 19, 2021

Omg, thank you so much! It means so much to me!!! I am so glad you liked it!

Reply

Moon Fox
00:42 Jul 20, 2021

No problem. ;)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.