The Heart Shaped Box in the Attic

Written in response to: Start your story with a character finding an old heart-shaped box in their house. ... view prompt

0 comments

Fantasy Adventure Fiction

Grumbling to myself, my worn black flats climbed the creaky attic ladder.  Why did my mother tell me to clean the attic on Valentine’s day?  Not that it mattered anyways, my lonely heart had no one.  Cobwebs covered my long wavy purple hair, my hands flailing around violently.  To this day it feels like I have a million cobwebs on me.  My copper eyes searched in dismay at the huge pile of boxes.  Something glittered by the window, curiosity dragging my feet to it.  Wonder brightened my eyes, a pure red ruby heart shaped box glistened in the morning sun.  My fingers traced the edge, the lid popping off.  The lights in the attic flickered, a bright light blinding me.  Covering my eyes, my black lace skirt blew up in the wild random breeze.  My purple silk bow fluttered about, my black silk shirt clinging to my hourglass figure.  

“How are you doing?” A gruff voice inquired, making me open my eyes. “Welcome to Rubia, home of the highest classed witches and wizards.”  Rubbing my eyes, my eyes widened at the sight of my new purple empire dress.  More importantly a very handsome green haired boy my age stood there staring at me with excited green eyes.  His green scaly shirt hugged his firm chest, green pants floating away from his legs.  A crooked grin spread across his face, my heart skipping a beat. 

“I don’t understand.” I mumbled, trying to keep my composure. “I am not a witch at all.”  Shaking his head, a soft chuckle tumbled from his lips.  Confusion twisted my face, my eyes taking in the black twisted trees in a luscious green field.  Colorful flowers popped up all around me, a raven stopping at my feet.  

“You wouldn’t be here if you weren’t a witch.” He mused, rubbing his chin. “You appear to be a witch of nature.”  My lips parted to speak, but an elderly short lady rushed out to greet me.  Her black velvet robes dragged on the ground, her short black hair bouncing around her wrinkled face.  Black eyes glittered expectantly back at me, a warm smile dancing across her face.  

“Incorrect.” She announced happily, waving her hands about. “She is a witch of the crystals, the most rare.  Also the latest bloomers.”  Slightly offended at that comment, my arms crossed my ample chest.  Disbelief dimmed my eyes, her skeletal hands tracing my cheeks.  Ginger tea breath drifted up my nostrils, naseauting my stomach.  

“This is all well and good, but what about my mom?” I queried more than annoyed. “I am most certain she has the cops on speed dial.”  Rolling her eyes, she formed a bubble in front of me.  Images of me being passed to her by a purple haired woman to the woman who raised me angered me, my mind racing away.  

“The former queen of this place sent you to the human world to keep you safe.” She explained, calmer than I felt. “This is your kingdom.”  Hot vomit exploded from my painted lips onto the green cool grass.  Damn my nerves, I cursed to myself.  The corner was where I always hid, not the spotlight.  

“I am your betrothed.” The green haired boy blurted out, receiving a dark glare from the woman. “I am Stephanos Tewk, son of the Earl of Blueland.”  He bowed, fury boiling in my veins.  I most certainly did not belong to some royalty, and I was most definitely not a queen.  

“If you don’t believe me, look around.” She pointed out, her finger pointing at the field.  The once dead trees were full of life, purple lilies grew all around them.  Animals hopped about the field, flocks of colorful birds flying above my head.  Fingers wrapping around mine woke me out of my trance, only to see Stephanos inches in front of my face.  My cheeks burned a dark scarlet, my heart pounding away.  

“What if I don’t want all of this?” I asked, the urge to kiss this green haired boy growing stronger. “What happens then?”  A frown darkened her face, the boy looking dismayed.  Tears welled up in his eyes, the rejection tearing him to little pieces.  Stepping back, he tripped over a stump.  His body crashed to the grass in a soft thud, his eyes wincing in pain.  

“It all dies.” She answered coldly, turning her back to me. “So you coming or what?”  Sighing, my eyebrow cocked, my sparkling new purple boots stepped forward into the field.  A purple castle shimmered in the bright afternoon sun, my jaw dropping to the ground.  Dark clouds darkened the sky, evil laughter booming around us.  Horror widening their eyes, confusion once again twisting my face.  

“I see you found her, Raven.” A tall black haired man mused as he sauntered feet in front of us. “What a traitorous twin you are!”  She raised his hand, but he tossed her aside.  Stephanos ran in front of me, only to be tossed to the side.  A snarl curled on my lips, power throbbing threw me.    

“What is your deal!” I screamed, a malicious grin dancing across his face. “Get out of my kingdom.”  Raven and Stephanos stirred next to me, groans tumbling from their lips.  His eyebrow cocked, his hand raising.  Purple flames shot from my palms, his black ice melting them.  Raven jumped to her feet, alarm lighting up her eyes.  Turning back to him, fear darkened my eyes.  My body trembled with horror at the sight of a large black electric ball heading my way.  Agony wracked my body, the ball slamming into me.  Cracking echoed in the still air, my ribs fracturing slightly.  The breath got knocked out of me, tree bark scratching my back.  Hot whiskey breath wafted up my nose, a lump forming in my throat.  His face was inches from mine, his black eyes boring into mine.  A black snake tongue licked my cheek, his gloved hands wrapping around my neck.  Leather creaked, his grip tightening.  Gasps of air poured from my lips, my hand trying to peel them off.  Raven stood up behind him, a black sword in her hand.  Tilting his head, his hand ran through her chest.  Black blood dripped down his arm, slow drops dripping onto the dying grass.  A gentle smile curled on her lips, his hand releasing me.  Coughing, my eyes noting the purple flames licking my arm.  Wet sickening noises rang in my ear, my hand crashing through his chest.  A small black heart sat in my palm, black blood dripping down my arm.  Unnatural screeches exploded from his lips, the heart passing through the hole.  

“Don’t you do it.” He wheezed, dropping Raven. “Lily, please let me live.”  Webbed fractures cracked on the hard surface, my hand squeezing harder.  His eyes were gripped with horror as I tossed his heart onto the ground.  His skin shattered the moment the heart shattered into millions of little pieces.  The clouds receded, sunlight bathing the field, the grass growing greener.  His hand reached out for me, only to disappear into a pile of black dust.  

“Raven!” I yelled out, sprinting to her side. “I will save you.  I promise.”  Shaking her head, her hand grazed my cheek.  Black blood pooled underneath her, my mind racing what to do. Hopelessness planted its seed into me, Stephanos running to my side.  Tears welled up in our eyes, frowns dimming our face.  

“I have lived my life.” She chuckled warmly, taking Stephanos’ hand. “When you killed him, you killed me.  It was a curse he placed on me. “  Hot salty tears flooded from my eyes, sobs shaking his body.  Guilt melted my mind, my mind praying to whatever god was here to save her.  A golden glow burned around my hand, golden flames flew into her chest.  Wonder brightened my eyes, her body floating up.  Golden light poured out from the hole in her chest, blinding us.  Light as a feather, her body floated down.  What once was black was now golden, her curls now golden as the morning light.  Instead of black eyes, golden orbs stared back at me.  Leaping up, she wrapped her arms around me.  Strong arms embraced the other side of me.  

“Don’t you ever leave us.” He ordered firmly. “You belong here.”  My heart pounded out of my chest as Raven let go with a devilish grin.  Waving goodbye, she sprinted away leaving just us.  

Awkward silence hung between us, only our eyes staring into each other.  He pulled me closer, his face inches from mine.  His hand lifted my chin, his lips pressed onto mine passionately.  Time melted away, the sounds fading away around us.  Pulling away, our faces burned bright red.

“Yes, I will marry you.” I said with a crooked grin. “You can be my green giant.”  His eyebrows scrunched in confusion, a childish giggle tumbling from my lips.  He tucked a piece of hair behind my ear, a crooked grin spread across his face.  He was my home. 

February 14, 2022 22:21

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.