LEAVING IRELAND

Submitted into Contest #190 in response to: Start your story with someone vowing to take revenge.... view prompt

2 comments

Fiction

My dearest love, Niamh

The first thing I want to say to you my love is how much I miss you. I miss your smile. I miss seeing your beautiful green eyes but most of all I miss talking to you. Writing to you is not the same. New York has been good to me. I got a job working in a restaurant. It's not much but I love it. I made new friends. I told them all about you. They can't wait to meet you. I'm writing this letter to you from my favorite spot overlooking the water. This spot helps me think about a lot of things, mostly about you. I love New York but I love you more. I still want you to come to New York so we can be together. In this envelope I'm enclosing a one-way ticket on board the fair sea. Come my love. I'm waiting for you.

All my love

Tomas

I can't believe my Tomas wrote to me. I haven't heard from him since he left to New York six months ago. I missed him ever since he left. He stills wants me to come to New York to be with him. This is the most amazing news I've received in a long time. I re-read the letter again and smile. I run home and prepare my belongings. I tell no one about the letter especially my two ex-best friends, Bridget and Caitlin.

I vowed for the last two years to take revenge against Bridget and Caitlin for what they did to me. I can't speak of it, it's too painful. Since that time, I became stronger and with the help of Tomas I became the person I am now.

Tomas left for New York without me because he knew I had things to take care of. He knew what I meant and he knew what I have to do. I'm so happy he wants me to come to New York.

I met Tomas in the hospital while I was recovering. He was nice to me. No one has ever been this nice to me. Tomas is one of a kind. He is true and honest. He treated me well and listened to every word I said. I told him why I was in the hospital. I cried after I told him. Tomas comforted me. He came to the hospital to visit me every single day. I fell in love with him quickly and he fell in love with me.

Tomas told me about his plans to go to New York. I was all for it. For two years Tomas saved money to go to New York all the while helping me heal. The day finally came. I went to see him off. I told him why I had to stay. He didn't fight with me. He told me he loves me and we will see each other soon.

Six months later and I finally know Tomas is okay. I'm so happy for him and yes in three days time my revenge against my two ex-friends will come full circle and in four days time I will board the ship and go to New York. I planned every single detail. They won't see it coming but they will know who came for them and no one will believe them.

Bridget and Caitlin think they got away with what they did to me, they better think twice. They walk around Kinsale without a care in the world. I hate them. I hate them with every fiber of my being. The only thing keeping me sane is Tomas and the day when we finally be together again.

Peace is what the Irish lands give me. It's what I need to feel happy and to know I'm still in control. Bridget and Caitlin are not in control not now not ever. The people in Kinsale, neighbors and family are going to know what kind of people Bridget and Caitlin truly are.

Thinking about my plans, my revenge is making me smile. I can't wait. I thought for the longest time that me, Bridget and Caitlin were not only friends but sisters. We told each other everything even down to our deepest secrets. It's painful to know they were lying to me.

They betrayed me in the worst way possible. Thinking back to that horrible day has my heart breaking all over again into a million pieces. I let out a big scream. I let it all out. The pain, the betrayal, two people who meant everything to me is shattered. It feels good to let it all out. The scream feels good. Now all I feel is anger. This raging anger I never felt before. All I want now is revenge. I want to ruin their lives like they ruined my life.

I'm not an evil person. I am a happy fun-loving person, that's what I used to be then I was shattered. Thanks to Tomas and his love I'm starting to become the person I use to be. When I'm done with Bridget and Caitlin, I will be me again.

Two years have passed andI'm still trying to figure out why those two witches hurt me. I have no answers. I never did anything wrong to them. I was always a good friend to them. So, why did they hurt me? A part of me believes I will never get the answers I want. I will have to live with that for the rest of my life. Bridget and Caitlin will have to live with what they did to me for the rest of their lives and the consequences that will follow.

I'm going to tell you about my plans. First, the day Bridget and Caitlin hurt me, I recorded everything they did to me and everything they said. Like I said before the details of what they did to me is too painful to share. Second, every Saturday Kinsale puts on movie night at the village park. The whole village will be there. That's where my revenge is going to take place. It's simple yet effective.I want to ruin Bridget and Caitlin in front of the entire village, in front of their families. Everything is set. Tomorrow is my day.

Today is Saturday. My day of revenge. Tomorrow is Sunday the day I leave to New York. My belongings are all set. My ticket is in my bag and my recording is in my hand. I leave my house and walk to the village park. I look all around me taking everything in. The shops, the streets, the people. My home is beautiful and I'm going to miss the beauty of Ireland. I am eagerly excited to begin my new life in New York with Tomas.

I arrive at the village park, everyone is here. The movie is about to begin. Today is my turn to man the projector booth. I walk to the booth and enter. I wait until everybody is seated. Bridget and Caitlin are here with their families. Good everybody is seated. I plug my phone in and begin the recording. I look into the crowd. The people are gasping. I smile, the looks on Bridget and Caitlin's faces are priceless.

The recording plays for the next ten minutes. I see the looks on the people's faces. It's one of horror and disgust. Bridget and Caitlin dare to stand up and dare to lie to the people but they are not buying it. I download the recording onto a tablet and play it again. The video plays on a loop over and over again. I leave the village park happy that Bridget and Caitlin got what they deserve.

I wake-up early the next morning, shower, dress, grab my belongings and head to the port. I board the fair seas bound for my new life. I wave goodbye to Ireland. I'm coming Tomas.

March 22, 2023 22:05

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

2 comments

Irene Duchess
02:21 Mar 31, 2023

a perfect revenge story. hehe. although, it makes you wonder what happened to the narrator. a fun read! :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Mike Rush
10:37 Mar 27, 2023

Melinda, Oh wow, what a tale of revenge. I thought it was a great strategy to keep what actually happened to Niamh a secret from the reader. That tactic allows the reader to fill in the blank with whatever thing they think is horrible. It shows a trust in your readers. I was really touched by the letter at the beginning. It's honest and raw and I felt really captured the sound and image of young, deep love. That letter made me want to root for Tomas and Niamh, and made my response to the news that she had been wounded by friends even more...

Reply

Show 0 replies
RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.