1 comment

Mystery Suspense Speculative

Today I woke up in my new apartment looking at the beautiful view of New York. Once I got up I went straight to my bathroom to take a quick shower because I had a job interview at 8 pm. Last week I moved into my new apartment in New York to find a job, but that wasn't the only reason why I moved. When I was 12 years old, I lived in Virginia and my parents died in a car crash. When my Aunt Linda heard the news, she went straight to my house, once my Aunt got home she took me to go live with her. I was happy because my aunt is so kind and wholesome but at the same time, I missed my parents. When I was 21 years old I moved to my new apartment in New York because there were too many memories from the past where I used to live. So I moved to New York to find a job and start a new life.

While I was walking to my job interview, there was a lot of wind and snow. Outside was very crowded, there were tall buildings, and the city was beautiful because there were many city lights where I was walking. Once I finished my job interview it was 1 pm and when I went outside it was snowing hard so I had to go to the nearest coffee shop which is Earth cafe. When I sat down, I watched the news saying that the power might go out because of the weather condition. When I was looking outside I didn't see anything outside, there were no people, no stores open, I only saw a few homeless people who were suffering from the cold weather.

When I was about to leave the cafe, a woman came up to me, If I were you I wouldn’t go outside, said the woman, as I slowly put my purse down. It’s too dangerous outside so you should stay until the weather conditions slow down, said the woman. Your right, I said as I sat back down with her on the table. The woman looked like a businesswoman with her long brown hair and with her big coat. My name is Cassie, what’s your name, said Cassie. I told her that my name is Mia, we started to talk until the weather from outside started to cool down. We were walking to our apartment because we lived close to each other until we passed an alley and all of a sudden a homeless guy came up to us. The darkness will soon be coming, there will be darkness for five days, said the homeless guy. What? said Cassie, looking all confused. Let’s go, Cassie, I said. We finally got back to our apartment until the lights went out, the whole power from the city went out. I sat down on my bed looking all confused until I realized that the homeless guy said something about the darkness coming. I decided to go to sleep because it was ten pm and my room was freezing because it was snowing outside. 

The next day my windows were frozen, there was no fire, no electricity. My boss canceled work today because it was dangerous outside plus we did not have electricity. I put on my warm clothes and decided to go to a coffee shop to buy coffee for me and Cassie and while I was walking, there was a strange man behind me. He was wearing a black hoodie with his black jeans, as I walked faster he walked faster and faster and faster and faster until finally, I went inside the coffee shop. The staff members from the coffee shop said they couldn’t make coffee because there was no electricity so I got something else. While I was walking back to Cassie’s apartment the guy from before was following me again. I could not scream for help because there were a few people outside. it was dark, cold, silent, you could only hear the wind. When I looked back he disappeared, Hello, is anyone there? I said, As I slowly started to run to Cassie’s apartment, my hand started to freeze a little bit because of how cold it was outside. Once I went inside Cassie’s apartment, I saw Cassie on the floor shivering in the living room. I ran to her kitchen to get some candles and light up the chimney. I grabbed a blanket and wrapped it around her and she started to feel better. Hey Mia thanks for helping me out, I would’ve frozen to death if you wouldn’t come, said Cassie as she slowly gets closer to the chimney. No problem, anything for my friend, I said. We were playing board games because we were bored. What are we going to eat? said Cassie. I don’t know, maybe some cans of beans, I said. Ok said, Cassie. We started to eat a can of beans because there was no power and we started to feel better. The power went out in New York, everyone was a home freezing to death and surviving the cold. Cassie and I were blessed because we started a fire so we would be warm. It was 11 pm and I slept at Cassie’s apartment so we could take care of each other. 

Days passed and it was Friday, I woke up at nine pm and when I looked outside I saw some people frozen from the cold as the weather kept getting worse. I lit up the chimney and woke up Cassie so we could eat cans of beans. Mia I don’t feel good said Cassie *cough*cough*. Cassie, what’s wrong? I said. I feel sick, Cassie said. Ok, I’ll go buy some medicine, I said. I grabbed my goat and went outside carefully so the black hoodie guy won’t follow me. I went to the nearest store and when I got out I saw the black hoodie guy again. I started to follow him until we went to an alley. When I looked in the alley he was gone. When I went back to Cassie’s apartment I gave her medicine and gave her food. 

It was Saturday and power from the city went back on and I woke up Cassie. Cassie Cassie, the power is back on. Cassie slowly got up from her bed. The weather was back to normal, the weather all sunny, the birds chipping, people talking. I went to my apartment to change so I could go to work. When I went outside there was an ambulance and some Police officers. Turns out the guy with the black hoodie was the homeless man before. They say he had a medical condition where he gets crazy. Everything was back to normal but I kept thinking to myself why the crazy black hoodie man kept following me. Out of all people why me?

May 07, 2021 21:17

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

1 comment

Iris Orona
17:13 May 11, 2021

EXCELLENT STORY. GOD IS GOOD ALWAYS! AMEN.

Reply

Show 0 replies

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.