0 comments

Fiction

The Comfort Of The Coffee Shop

“Oh come on Davey it’s a quick coffee. We need to sit down and discuss this party so we both feel OK.” 

Michael automatically pulled out a chair so Davey could sit down. Michael was more than aware of Davey’s ambivalent feelings about celebrations in general, but he really hadn’t anticipated his complete mediocre attitude towards their own 25th anniversary celebrations.  

“Why the hell are you pulling my chair out, do you think I’m some sort of old man or something?” Davey almost growled this sentence at Michael, while he manoeuvred himself into a chair next to the one Michael had pulled out, at their usual table in the corner of the Coffee Shop.

“Of course I do” Michael retorted, “I see you as some sort of crotchety old man who can’t walk with out a frame and has urine stains all down his badly fitted bloody trousers”.

Mike left the chair pulled out and pulled his own chair out to sit down. 

“It’s called manners you miserable old sod” continued Michael as he turned to, he turned round to look at the Special board.

“It’s Pants you Limey shit anyway, what the hell are “trousers”” Davey emphasised the word trousers with an odd American drawl trying to mimic a British accent. His attempt at a British accent  could only be described as awful.  Michael however, answered him with his usual pronounced Middle-Class English accent knowing it would annoy Davey immensely.

 “Pants my darling are underwear, we do not wear underwear out in public. If you are going to ‘dribble urine down your pants’ as we say here, it is dribbling urine and staining your underwear we are talking about, we are not talking about stains on the outer garment. The outer garment we call Trousers my darling, ok Trousers are out garments not underwear”.

“Very funny arsehole” Davey answered and sat down surrendering to his husband’s ability to use his Englishness as usual for his own advantage.

David Milligan and Michael Stanward had been married for 5 years although they met 25 years ago back in 1995. It was a day neither of them nor any American would forget the day was etched on their hearts but not in a way either would have wished for.

Michael had been out in the States on a professional learning exchange from the London Ambulance Service and had been sent to Oklahoma City.  The posting was seen as the short straw of all the possible locations an in fairness it didn’t have the same glamour you associated with New York, Chicago or Dallas.   Michael didn’t mind he was an excellent Paramedic with a lot of experience. He would be offering lecturers as part of his exchange and he felt glad that he had finally been recognised for his contribution to emergency medicine. He felt this was his reward for all the long shifts and extra skills he had acquired over the years. He often retold this story emphasising that his reward was something he never could have imagined having Davey! 

As much as Oklahoma brought Michael to Davey it was a harrowing meeting. Michael was working with the Oklahoma City EMSA (Emergency Medical Services Authority) and had just started his shift when the incident happened. They weren’t sure what it was at first, but Michael knew straight away. It was a bomb. The Oklahoma bomb was unprecedented in America and Michael found that his skills learnt attending IRA bombings in London was invaluable to the Emergency Services on the Day. 

He didn’t remember meeting Davey on the day, there had been too much carnage and confusion It was at a bar along with others who had been involved on the day a few days later when they finally got talking. It was here they both were amazed to realise that they must have spoken and worked together as Davey was one of the senior residents on duty that day. It is strange to think that he was working alongside the man who was to become the love of his life let alone his future husband.

This year was special for Michael and Davey it marked them being a couple for 25 years and Michael was determined to celebrate.  They had overcome so much and proved so many wrong he felt it was something that needed to be celebrated or at least acknowledged.  He was hoping to get the last details organised with Davey today and had bribed him with lunch at their favourite spot The Coffee Shop.

“What the hell are you looking at the ‘special’s’ for? We are in Greenwich South London not Greenwich Village, what are you expecting to be on their Mike” Davey was not really taking any notice of Mike’s enthusiasm for lunch, and was being his usual dour self whilst reading the local newspaper.   

“I’m looking to see what the new menu is” murmured Michael, “you said you wanted to try something different didn’t you?” 

Much to their surprise The Coffee Shop had decided this year to bring out a new autumnal range of themed coffees.  

“Look Davey I’m sure the new spiced pumpkin latte is just what you have been waiting for” laughed Michael.

“Sod off Mike, your just so hilarious” Davey continued to read the paper without even looking up.

“Anyway…” Michael continued while waving his hand to catch the waitress’s eye, “have you actually ever been to Greenwich Village Davey?  If I remember the furthest you’d been East Coast was Nashville you Cowboy”.  

“Yeah and didn’t you like the cowboy’s ah Michael” Davey replied finally looking up from the paper.

Michael turned and gave Davey a massive smile.

 “Certainly did didn’t I, love ya Cowboy” Michael grinned.  

“yeah yeah love you too you London boy” Davey said and unusually grabbed Michaels hand and gave it a squeeze. “Can’t say I did too badly can I?”

Davey could still make Michaels heart quicken, he felt himself blush and Davey started to laugh.

“Davey you really a miserable old sod, I couldn’t be without you. What a gorgeous and outrageous husband I got”. As he said this he leant over and gently kissed Davey on the top of his forehead. It was just a small kiss, but it showed a tenderness that many couples arent lucky enough to ever experience.

Michael smiled as Michelle, the daughter of The Coffee Shop owner and who had become more of a friend than just their waitress over the years, took their order. 

“The usual please Michelle, I’ll have Tea but leave the milk I’ll pour it and make sure you follow this old sod’s strict instructions over the way the coffee is made” Michael winked, and Michelle smiled back.

“As if I wouldn’t Mike, can you imagine it, ‘shock, horror a story of the unlawful killing of a cup coffee’ Michelle smiled and winked at Michael. Davey looked up smiled a sarcastic smile and nodded his head at the pair of them and returned to his paper with a dismissive wave of his hand towards the two of them.

 “Isn’t it your 5th Wedding Anniversary party on Saturday?” Michelle said as she turned to see what her Dad the ever-harassed Leonard, the owner of The Coffee Shop. He was a local character and one of those people who make a neighbourhood’s atmosphere just by their personality and place in the local history of the area. 

“There he is, the controller behind the counter. He still won’t let go you know, over a year now he’s been retired, I’ve no say even now you know” Michelle wiped the table as she feigned anger while grinning at Michael. 

“Well actually Michelle,  it’s…….” Michael didn’t finish his sentence before Michelle was being called by her dad and summoned over to another table.

“I don’t know why your making a thing about it Mike, no one really cares”, Davey sat up and lent against the wall. He took a deep breath in and looked around him. He had never quite realised how much he had become a token Londoner until now. 25 years they had been together and 5 of those married. He missed the States of course but he found London, especially when the first met, so much more accepting than Oklahoma ever was. 

Davey closed his eyes and thought how life’s twist and turns brought him to where he was now. He was living with an English gentleman, in one of the biggest capital cities in Europe. He was a cowboy for god sake and now he lived in a flat overlooking the Thames.  He knew he was seen as the grumpy outsider and he did at times resent this. However, sitting in their local coffee shop, the same one they had entered when the first started living as a couple all those years ago. The first place Davey remembered feeling at ease in without worrying if people saw them holding hands. He knew wouldn’t want a different life as it was Michael that made him happy. He briefly opened his eyes and winked at Michael. Michael always got the same shy blush when he did this, even after 25 years. It was this he thought that confirmed he’d done the right thing following that gawky paramedic back to the UK.

Davey remembered back to the days surrounding the reason they met. Oklahoma City had never seen anything like it. Everywhere in the hospital people panicking and unsure. The hospital in general coped well. Davey remembered how later he had found out about Michael. How Michaels previous experience of bombings in London helped. He couldn’t remember meeting Michael that day, he had been too busy himself. It had been a pretty horrific time, so upsetting, nothing before had ever prepared any of the staff for an experience like that. 

It was during the debrief that he was introduced to Michael. He only then realised how this Londoner, this paramedic on an exchange had played such an integral part of that day and he couldn’t help but be proud of his husband. 

Michael’s exchange was extended, and he had started advising on interservice protocols for Emergency Incidents. It had been Davey’s sister, a Doctor herself, who gave him a room in her house for the extra months he was there.  Michael had never really expressed his sexuality outwardly, although Davey was very open about his. He often wondered if it had been Lori Davey’s sister who was the original instigator in bringing them together. 

It was difficult for them and they had twenty years trying to keep their relationship together. Michael managed to get a place at a local Oklahoma College studying for a couple of years. Then Davey got an exchange for a year to St Thomas’ training hospital in London, they managed to work out ways that they could be together over the years though. Finally getting married 5 years ago allowing Davey to adopt the life of an English gentleman. 

He didn’t often miss the States, but occasional he had pangs for home, usually when there was a big party where Michaels large extended family would gather. This weekend’s anniversary party had caused him to miss the States a bit. He always wondered if it was the States he missed or he felt a little overwhelmed by Michaels clan like family. He really only had Lori and her family and wondered if the homesick pangs were more brought on by wanting something that he belonged to more than actually missing home per se.

Michael had managed to organise Davey enough during the last few days to get him into a new suit and actually get a little enthusiasm out of him.  It was early in the evening but Michael was already at the centre of the organising and instructing different members of the family and the staff at the Venue which was a large turn of the Century Hotel overlooking the Thames, to do his bidding.

“You alright darling? You seem a little bewildered” Michael gently touched Davey’s shoulder. Davey had sat himself in the corner of the room and was watching the unfolding scene of party preparations on fold. It was a scene familiar to him Michaels family very liked to mark events. He had found it unnerving at first, never knowing who everybody was and where they fitted into the family hierarchy.  He had held back and stayed on the periphery during the first years of their relationship. Unsure of his place within this ever-growing family of characters. 

He had met Michaels parents and brother early on. His mother, kind and welcoming as was his father. His father had the ability to always know what to say never making Davey feel an outsider. He knew it being a Doctor help the acceptance within Michaels family. Cynically wondering if they would have been so accepting if he had been an unemployed artist or really a cowboy. However, the years were kind, and his parents and brother became as much his family as Michaels. Lori made it over as often as she could, and there was the occasional moment of sadness, when he thought of his own parents who both died at far too young an age. He was genuinely content with how things were, and London had become his home.

When they married it felt the most natural thing in the world. Michaels family did the usual ‘must have a party’ thing. To be honest he felt a little embarrassed by it all.  They used whole ‘same sex marriage’ aspect as a reason to really go over the top when celebrating. He had wanted a quiet ceremony but being one of the first couple in Greenwich to marry, they were plastered all over the local papers and the Party ended up being almost a parody of itself. 

Davey lifted his hand up to Michaels and squeezed it.

“I’m ok, my darling” Davey answered quietly. “Not so much bewildered, just a little unimportant.  Just a bit forgotten I suppose”.

“Oh Davey, I know” Mike said squeezing his shoulders again trying to reassure him. Michael bent down and whispered to Davey “not to me cowboy”.

“You know what Davey,” Mike suggested to Davey as he stood up, “let’s get away before this party starts up properly."

Michael looked at his watch, “We have a couple of hours for ourselves at least I’d say. What you reckon?”

“Oh, go on then, you’ve twisted my arm” grinned Davey.

“OK where to then? Where can we run off to before the ‘family’ gets us?”. Michael looked at Davey in anticipation.

“You know what let’s go to the Coffee Shop” I know it’s closing in 10 minutes but I’m sure Leonard will let us camp out in there for an hour or so, especially tonight.” Davey said grabbing Michaels arm and manoeuvring him towards the door “Michelle and him are coming later anyway arent they?”. 

“I bloody hope so they did the food” Michael laughed.

The Coffee Shop was locked when they arrived, although when Davey peered through the window, he saw that some of the tables had been laid as if they were serving dinner. The Coffee Shop had on occasions tried to branch out to evening dinner, but it had never really taken off.

“What the hell….. are they opening for dinner tonight? “Oh, for god sake not tonight I wanted a bit of time just us” groaned Davey.

As Michael knocked on the door, Davey spotted a notice which said, “NEW MENU TONIGHT – COME AND TRY”.

“Don’t bother Mike, have you seen this” Davey rapped on the window where the notice was. Mick continued knocking even though Davey was getting more and more irate.

“I don’t want to go in now. Not with loads of others and certainly don’t want to try some ‘new menu’” Davey started grimacing while he emphasised’, New Menu’.

“Davey shut up your acting like a bloody teenager, we’re here now let’s just go in”.  Michael pushed the door and walked in.  Davey was a little unnerved by the door being open and started calling out for Michelle and Leonard.  

Michael walked over to the table that was in the middle of the floor and sat down. He pulled out his lighter and lit the candles.

 “It’s quite romantic really isnt” he said looking at Davey. Davey just made a noise in answer. Michael passed him the new Menu and started looking down at his one

He waited a little while before looking up. What he saw was Davey in floods of tears. 

“You bloody romantic idiot, how?.... How did you know I’d want to come here?.... I can’t believe it… I …..” Davey was truly overwhelmed now.

“It’s because I love you my gorgeous man and you are my husband. Happy 25th” Davey and Michael both dropped the menus and just grabbed each other’s hands.

In the candlelight you could just make out the Coffee Shops New Menu:

For you two!

Chicken Fried Steak with red eye gravy

Fried Catfish

Shrimps and grits

---

Fried Okra

Fried Green Tomatoes

Rice and black-eyed peas

Followed by

Pecan Pie

Peach Cobbler

With much love to our wonderful customers Davey and Michael

Leonard and Michelle.

Elise Henry

Words 2886

October 16, 2020 14:42

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.