0 comments

American High School Inspirational

Grilled Cheese Distraction

by: Traci L. Johnson

"I will bet you twenty bucks, right here and now, that I can make a better grilled cheese sandwich than you!"

He paused as he searched my face trying to connect what I had just said to his own prior declaration: He was home from school. I could tell my exclamation had puzzled him, by the confusion in his eyes and he appeared slightly dejected. It was almost as if he felt I had just dismissed his hurt feelings; leaving him feeling totally unvalidated in his emotional outburst.

"MOM!? Did you hear what I just said? I had the worst day of my life today at school and I do not ever want to go back again!"

"Of course I heard you! How else could I know I can beat your butt in a grilled cheese challenge today?!"

It was intoxicating to see the corners of his mouth turn upward as his eyes sparked and begin to smoulder the stress of his bad day, but he did not respond right away. Instead he dashed down the hall to his bedroom; leaving me to wonder if he had rejected my offer until he resurfaced without his backpack and had his hoodie sleeves rolled up to his elbows. He was fully determined to give me a run for my money and he made that obvious.

"Challenge accepted," he chimed, "what are the terms?"

Side by side at the kitchen sink, we stood. Each scrubbing our hands as if we were surgeons preparing for the next triple bypass scheduled while we agreed to each make a sandwich, cut them in half, and exchange them. Afterwards we would collaborate as our own co-judges and agree upon a winner.

In the next moment, we took to buttering our slices of bread, opening our cheese slices, and preparing each of our small skillets to begin. As we worked ever so diligently, I could not help but inform him of the facebook post I had read earlier that day. This particular post claimed the new way to make the best grilled cheese sandwich was to turn your kitchen toaster on its side before adding a slice of bread with the cheese on top into each of its slots.

It was not until I mentioned the only comment that stood out to me, written from someone swearing they tried it and caught their toaster on fire, that I thought I would lose him to his laughter. He did not hit the floor laughing, however, I was relieved to see his body relax as his goofy grin reclaimed its rightful place upon his beautiful, young face.

"Score!"

"Mom, why are people so mean to each other?"

"My best guess: they are just mad that they just can not make a grilled cheese like we can!"

"Right! Mom, you are so crazy!"

"Are you just now figuring that out, but really who is being mean to you?"

"Not me... the new kid. Well, they were mean to him first. Then me, when I tried to make them stop."

He informed me of the crazy encounter he had experienced at school that morning, when confronting five older boys about picking on Bradley, 'the new kid in his class'.  We each flipped our masterpieces, before continuing.

"Do you want to talk more about it?"

"No, you just gave me a great idea! I know what to do about it now. Can I take five grilled cheeses to school with me tomorrow?"

I could not help but to admire him for such an attempt to formulate a non-violent solution to his own problem.

"Are you trying to feed the bullies or are you planning on grilled-cheese slapping them?"

"Another great idea but I will stick to the first one and feed them. Hopefully I can bribe them to leave Bradley alone for one day. It has got to work, since they are only mad they can not make their own and everybody deserves that ewwy, gooey, cheesy treat." He winked at me, causing me to giggle as we both reached for our perspective burners.

"I know one thing for sure," I interjected, as we cut and switched our sandwiches. "I am grateful for such an intelligent, incredible, cheesy-grinning young man like you in my life!"

After a quick hug we made our way over to the kitchen table where we quickly took bites of each sample and began arguing the other had won. Finishing in silence, we each popped our last bite at the same time and raced to swallow to be the first one to speak again.

As his mouth parted, I spat, "Take your win like a man and quit trying to trick me into making your sandwiches for school!" He just stared at me, and then smiled big.

"I love you, mom! Thank you! But seriously, will you make me seven grilled cheese sandwiches to take with me tomorrow, PLEASE?"

"Seven? What happened to five?"

"Well, I know Bradley will want one too, because I already want another one! You know you won this time right?"

"Yes baby, I always win, when I am with you. So of course I will do anything for you: but I have one condition. You have to make the bullies' and save the best two for you, and your new friend, Bradley!"

We spent the next hour or so watching YouTube videos cuddled on the couch; I laughed as I realized in that very moment I was the happiest woman in the world and he was my world! Though, I deemed his grilled cheese proposal was an admirable one, I was relieved when he instead asked if Bradley could just come over after school and be the judge of a new competition... the real one.

"Mom, you really do make me a better man! All I want to do now is get my homework done and clean my room without you even telling me to.

"Are you sure that is because of me? I think it is because you do not want to be embarrassed by showing Bradley how dirty your room can be."

"So he CAN come over?"

"Of course he can."  


September 09, 2022 20:21

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.