Is She Really Going Out With Him?

Submitted into Contest #104 in response to: End your story with the line, “I’m never going out with you again.”... view prompt

0 comments

Funny High School American

There she was again.

In his dreams he had asked her out many times. But in real life like now he was too chicken.

She went into the library, a place he entered only when necessary for a school paper. But today he followed her in.

To him she was like a swan oozing of beauty and grace. Why would she ever go out with a geek like him. Oh, well. He could still dream.

She sat at a window table, took out her laptop and seemed to be working on something probably for school. He pulled a random book from the nearest shelf and sat down at a table across from her.

Within ten minutes he saw his friend Bobby come in and look right his way.

"Ronnie Green! What the heck are you doing in the library?"

Trying to think of a quick excuse he kind of stumbled over one.

"Uh, had to read some of this book for a class."

Billy saw the title of the book.

"What class is requiring you to read Dean Koontz?"

"Okay, there isn't one. I'm just kind of hanging out."

Then Billy saw Carla Stevens sitting across by the window.

"On, I see. You're sitting here perving on Carla."

"I am not perving."

Ronnie was beginning to get aggrivated with his friend.

"Okay, okay. Don't go get your panties in a bind."

"Just go on and leave me alone, please."

Thankfully Billy moved on and he could go back to perving on Carla.

Thirty minutes later Carla closed her laptop and went to the help desk. Ronnie followed at a safe distance and waited while Carla talked with the counter person.

Then the head librarian stepped to the counter. She looked directly at Ronnie and asked "is there something you would like to check out?"

Without even thinking Ronnie blurted "yeah, her" and pointed at Carla.

Carla overheard and responded sounding startled.

"Say what?"

Suddenly he wished the floor would open up and swallow him.

"Well?" Carla was persisting on an answer.

After an initial stutter Ronnie suddenly got brave.

"I've been wanting to ask you out since seventh grade."

"And you waited until junior year?"

Thinking fast he replied "well, one of my parents would have had to drive us but I have my license now. So you want to go to the movies tomorrow night?"

"What's playing?"

"Have no clue. Does it matter?"

"Guess not. Since my boyfriend moved away my calander is pretty much wide open. What time?"

"If I remember right the early show is four thirty and then maybe we could go to Pizza Inn."

"Do you know where I live or should I meet you at the AMC?"

"Your call."

"How about I meet you there."

"Okay, great. I'll see you then."

"You'll see me here in school tomorrow I hope."

"Of course."

Then the librarian asked him again. "You ready to check that book out?"

"Actually, no. I have changed my mind" and he left the library with a big grin and on cloud nine.

As Friday afternoon rolled around Ronnie was overflowing with excitement. He was finally gonna get to go on his dream date.

When the time had arrived for him to head to the theater he had washed his car, cleaned out the interior and stopped for gas on the way.

Sitting on the bench in front of the theater he felt very overdressed although it was to impress Carla. All patrons seemed to be wearing shorts and a t-shirt. And when Carla arrived wearing, you guessed it, shorts and a t-shirt he began feeling self-concious.

But she came instead of finding a reason to cancel. He handed her a ticket and in they went.

At the snack bar they ordered a hot buttered popcorn two pepsi colas and a pack of twizzlers. The snack bar was out of twizzlers. He could hear the previews starting so he paid and they rushed into their movie.

Going from the bright lights of the lobby to the pitch dark of the theater Ronnie could not see that first step and tripped, dropping his soda. Luckily Carla had the popcorn. Only a few people were there but they all managed to laugh at him. He was glad Carla could not see his face as they found a seat and sat to enjoy the movie.

No sooner had the opening credits endid and the actual movie began them there was a loud bang and the screen went dark.

Moments later the house lights came on and an usher came in and made an announcement.

"Ladies and gentlemen. Our projector bulb has blown and it will take an hour or so to replace it so we are refunding your tickets. Sorry about that but it happens."

Ronnie looked at Carla.

"Is it too early to go for pizza?"

"Never and I love Pizza Inn more for their desert stromboli than the pizza."

"How about we stop at that park that is on the way just to finish the popcorn."

"I like that park. We can do that. Sorry about your Pepsi."

"You didn't have to remind me."

Ronnie stopped at the park and slowly they worked on their tub of popcorn as they watched some pretty dark clouds moving their way.

"Is it supposed to rain?"

"I don't recall any rain in the forecast for today. Later on tonight some showers."

Just then a bird flew over and made a deposit. It landed with a splat right in front of Carla. She jumped back.

"Let's go on to the inn."

Ronnie agreed and drove them the few remaining blocks to the Pizza Inn. They saved the rest of the popcorn for later.

Once seated they ordered two buffet's. The waiter asked if there was any special pizza they wanted on the buffet.

"Not really," Carla answered. "Just make sure there is some desert strombole there."

"I'm sorry, ma'am. We are out of that at the moment. Should be some on the truck tomorrow,"

Carla gives Ronnie a frustrated look. Even though there is no stromboli they both enjoy the buffet.

As the waiter hands Ronnie the bill there is another loud boom followed by a flash of lightening.

"Guess we had better hurry before it starts to rain."

Ronnie quickly paid the bill and they started for Carla's house as she gave him directions. A block from her house the sky opened up. It was a downpour like they had not seen for months.

At Carla's the only place to park was in front of the house by the curb. For ten minutes they waited for the rain to let up.

When the front porch light started blinking Carla knew she had better be getting into the house.

"Sorry I don't have an umbrella but I will run with you to the door so we both get soaked."

Fast foreward: Carla gave Ronnie a second chance, they dated and after graduation they got married.

But you would not have seen this coming as they waited in the rain to dash to Carla's front door.

As they prepared for the dash Carla spoke. "You spilled your Pepsi, they had no Twizzlers, the projector bulb blew, a bird crapped in front of my face, there was no desert stromboli and then we got soaked. Hear this good. I am never going out with you again!"

July 28, 2021 18:31

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.