The Manor of Highland Moors

Submitted into Contest #64 in response to: Write a ghost story where there’s more going on than it first appears.... view prompt

0 comments

Horror Mystery Suspense

It seemed as though they had been driving for days, but it had only been five hours. The twisting, narrow roads through the Transylvanian mountains prolonged the trip. Theresa could feel the knots in her stomach, but she wasn’t sure if it was from the long drive or the fact she just married a perfect stranger. Perhaps it was both. Nevertheless, the ride in the car could not possibly have made time seem to move any slower. The car traveled through a long tunnel through a widely set mountain. Before entering the tunnel, the sky was blue with not a cloud in the sky. If one dropped an egg on the pavement, it would have burnt to a crisp within ten seconds. But then, the car entered that dark, wet tunnel. It was truly perplexing that the chauffeur could make out where he was going. Even with the headlights, there was nothing ahead in the road except sheer blackness. Not even the sides of the tunnel were evident. It was as if they entered a black hole of nothingness. When the car made it through the end of the tunnel, there was no light protruding from the outside. There were no signs of any ends in sight whatsoever. It was not until Theresa looked up and realized the dark, grim sky. There was a haze, and it was nighttime somehow. She saw some peculiar looking birds and asked the chauffeur, “Godfrey, what kind of birds are those?” 

“Vampire bats.” He replied shortly. 

Finally, the car pulled up to a gate. It was gargantuan and imposing with an old-fashioned lock. Godfrey exited the vehicle and used a turnkey to open the gate. He got back in the car and proceeded to drive down the long pathway until there was a beautiful, victorian-style manor in the distance. They arrived, and Godfrey opened Theresa’s car door.As soon as she got out of the vehicle, it began to rain. 

 As Theresa approached her soon to be home, she felt a strange chill move through her. She had never quite felt something so chiling. It was as though an unseen presence moved right through her abdomen. What is this place? She wondered. She entered the house through the grand entryway doors that stood about twenty feet high. They were hand carved with images of demon-like creatures.She entered the interior of the house, which was full of cobwebs and broken furniture. Has anyone been here in a hundred years? She thought. At the entrance room, there was an enormous chandelier hanging from the ceiling about thirty feet above the ground. The crystals were dull and lifeless. The entire manor appeared to have been empty with a proper cleaning in years. 

“Hello?” Theresa called out for someone. Anyone. No one answered. The doors shut behind her, causing a cacophonous “BOOM” echoing throughout the entire house. 

“Godfrey?” She called, but he was gone. She tried to pry the front doors open, but they would not budge. What in the hell? She thought. But she was alone. She decided to make her way up the cascading staircase, praying each step she took that the staircase would not collapse bringing her to a tragic fate. When she made it to the second floor, she reached a long, stark, narrow hallway of closed doors. Should I open one? She thought. She walked down the seemingly endless hallway until she saw a door with light protruding from underneath it. Something drew her to that door… she did not know what was so compelling, but she was powerless to stop it. She inched her way to the door, slowly turning the knob with her left hand. The door creaked open, and there stood her recently betrothed. He stood there, a solid six and a half foot man. His raven tresses and pointed mustache practically sent chills down her spine. He was an attractive man, but his tall, thin stature, snow white skin, and dark-as-night hair seemed foreboding in a way. He smiled at her with a mischievous grin. 

“Theresa!” Vladimir spoke. “I’m glad you’re here!” He took her hand and kissed it. He had the coldest hands she ever felt, until his lips pressed her hand. Those were even colder. 

“My Lord.” Theresa curtsied. 

“No need for such propriety, my dear.” Vladimir replied. “I must introduce you to the servants!”

Servants? What servants? This place is a mess! Theresa thought. Vladimir guided her downstairs to what had to have been a completely different house. It was immaculately clean, the furniture sparkled and appeared to be brand new. The chandelier’s crystals shined brighter than the clearest cut diamond. There was a team of about a dozen servants lined up to greet the new, young bride. They dressed in the finest chiffon, with huge smiles plastered on their faces. What in the world.... She thought. 

Something strange was happening in this house. It had been broken and dull when Theresa first arrived, but now it was the grandest mansion she ever stepped foot in. 

“Am I dreaming?” She asked. Vladimir laughed in a peculiarly deep tone. 

“My dear, this is certainly real.. And we are quite happy to have you here.”

Theresa had no idea what was happening but was quite sure something strange was occurring in this house. She greeted each servant warmly, and they continued on with their bizarre smiles. 

“This is your lady in waiting, Miss Hannisbrook.” Vladimir introduced the young lady to Theresa. 

“Pleased to meet you. I’m Theresa.” Theresa said as Miss Hannisbrook curtsied. 

“Please take my wife to prepare for supper.” Vladimir instructed Miss Hannisbrook. 

Theresa went with her to the guest chambers. Miss Hannisbrook prepared Theresa in a lovely, white, silk gown. It was the most wonderful dress Theresa ever laid eyes on. It was encrusted with diamonds, hand-embroidery, and delicately woven lace. Miss Hannisbrook placed the most magnificent crown of diamonds, rubies, and sapphires upon the head of the new bride. Theresa giggled. “Oh, Miss Hannisbrook, this is really not necessary. I feel silly.” 

“Oh, but it is necessary.” Miss Hannisbrook smiled a crooked smile. Theresa began to feel uneasy. She wondered if she would be able to sneak away. 

Miss Hannisbrook guided Theresa to the elaborately decorated dining hall. The dining table was probably ten feet long. Vladimir sat at one end while Theresa sat at the other. 

“Are you enjoying the house?” Vladimir asked. 

“It’s quite lovely!” Theresa complimented as she plotted her escape. The butler served her wine in a jewel-encrusted goblet. All of the cups and cutlery was lavish and made of solid gold. Theresa felt unsure of taking a sip from the goblet, but something possessed her to pick it up and take a sip. Vladimir smiled. All of the servants gathered around the table and smiled. Something very strange was happening. They all then pulled the hoods of their cloaks over their heads. Then everything went black. 

It seemed as though they had been driving for days, but it had only been five hours. The twisting, narrow roads through the Transylvanian mountains prolonged the trip. Celeste could feel the knots in her stomach, but she wasn’t sure if it was from the long drive or the fact she just married a perfect stranger. Perhaps it was both. Nevertheless, the ride in the car could not possibly have made time seem to move any slower. The car traveled through a long tunnel through a widely set mountain. Before entering the tunnel, the sky was blue with not a cloud in the sky. If one dropped an egg on the pavement, it would have burnt to a crisp within ten seconds. But then, the car entered that dark, wet tunnel. It was truly perplexing that the chauffeur could make out where he was going. Even with the headlights, there was nothing ahead in the road except sheer blackness. Not even the sides of the tunnel were evident. It was as if they entered a black hole of nothingness. When the car made it through the end of the tunnel, there was no light protruding from the outside. There were no signs of any ends in sight whatsoever. It was not until Theresa looked up and realized the dark, grim sky. There was a haze, and it was nighttime somehow. Celeste saw some peculiar looking birds and asked the chauffeur, “Godfrey, what kind of birds are those?” 

October 23, 2020 22:42

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.